Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 18:19   #466
Senior - BHPian

Here is what AutocarIndia has to say on Safari 2.2
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Few One Liners

"The Safari still rolls like the Titanic but straightline stability is quite good and the Safari certainly feels more stable than the Scorpio."

"It may not be perfect, but this is clearly the best Safari ever. "

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 26th November 2007 at 18:24.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:10   #467
BHPian

Service Schedule

I sent my Safari 2.2 for its first service to Sanya Motors Okhla and they sent it back saying the first service is at 5,000. My dad spoke to them later and they went to great lengths to explain that its too early and only Indigo and Indica need to be serviced at 1,000 kms not the Safari.

When I opened the service manual it said the same thing - also it seemed a little different from the pages that Harjeev scanned earlier. The front page just says Tata Safari Dicor.
Did the dealer give me the service manual for the 3.0 Dicor Am going to send a nasty mail to TML tommorow. Harjeev, Turby, adc - can you please confirm what the service manual cover looks like.

I should have looked at this earlier.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:38   #468
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobo View Post
When I opened the service manual it said the same thing - also it seemed a little different from the pages that Harjeev scanned earlier. The front page just says Tata Safari Dicor.
Yes most probably you have got the 3.0 L service book. Today in the service centre, I saw the service book of a 3.0 Safari and it is as you described.

Whereas the cover of Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 is printed as:.

"""Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor

Variable Turbine Technology Direct Injection Common Rail Engine"""

Thus as you see on the cover "Safari 2.2" is clearly mentioned.

Definitely do send the email and also please also mention about the engine oil specification and the ignorance of the service people regarding this. Please see this post for engine oil specification dilemma that I am facing. I am also writing to Tata Motors regarding this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post638458
Old 26th November 2007, 22:21   #469
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that 2.2 owners saw the correct grading of engine oil in time
Old 27th November 2007, 13:10   #470
BHPian

People,

Am just back from a 2.2 EX test drive, cant say if am impressed because of the condition of the TD vehicle.

Good:
1) Torque is good, but didnt feel the thump as my Swift D gives me.
2) Brakes are ok, never tested from high speeds though.
3) Driver seating, seat height adjuster was top notch.
4) Loved the tilt steering option
5) Arm rests for driver
6) A/C effectiveness
7) How could i miss the road-visibility, top notch.

Fair:
1) Clutch when released, jabs back
2) Can only place my toe on the clutch lever, mid-foot and got tangled in the drivers side dash
3) Gear lever has a lonnng throw
4) Interior finish could have been better
5) Ultra light steering, offering no feedback whatsoever
6) Enginer clatter in 1st gear
7) Sudden pickup moving from 4th to 5th (not noticeable in other gears)

Guess 6 and 7 are due to their stupid 5k kms service mantra, the TD vehicle had seen 3.5K kms without any service.

Though I am impressed, I need another TD on a properly maintained vehicle before recommending to anyone.

TChau,
+Rocky_Balboa+
PS: Really feels like King of the road when driving.
Old 27th November 2007, 16:26   #471
BHPian

Petrol should have been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
On top of that I think that the petrol version would have very poor resale value in the second hand market and would be very difficult to sell.

Not advisable in my opinion

i second that, but i really miss the (good value)petrol machine on Safari...i would not prefer to go for diesel as i dont have that much running. even if i do 2000kms per month, it would take three years to recover that extra lac rupees you are paying for diesel option...

except for skoda no other auto maker in country sells both petrol and diesel at same cost....

besides all that go for safari diesel. makes sense!!!!
Old 27th November 2007, 17:35   #472
BHPian

Dealer Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes most probably you have got the 3.0 L service book. Today in the service centre, I saw the service book of a 3.0 Safari and it is as you described.
I spoke to the dealer today and they said that TML supplied these service books. He also showed me the book of another 2.2 standing at his showroom and it was the same. Seems kind of hard to believe.

On the service front, I sent a nasty mail to TML yesterday and today the GM of Sanya Motors called apologizing profusely at the mistake and must have said Sorry at least 4 times nearly begging me to send the vehicle again so that they can service it.
Love the way TML manage their dealers.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:03   #473
BHPian

petrol safari rocks!

hi. i recently drove a petrol safari and i must say it rocks. i had previously driven a diesel 2.2 too. i must say that the petrol safari seemed to be in a league of its own. it felt altogether a different "car"! i am not bothered about the resale value or the economy it will offer 5 yrs down the line. what i am bothered about is that each moment that i drive my safari, it should be memorable, pleasing, satisfying, vibration free and trouble free.

Mr. Ram, a member of team-bhp forum and a proud owner of a petrol safari is very happy with it. he and i share similar views. i know its not necessary that everyone should agree with my point of view. besides one has to be well-off enough to drive around a ten lakh plus suv. and when you own one, one should not crib about its "economy" and 125 bhp with 198 kgm torque. its enough to whiz past any vehicle without the need of down-shifting.

considering the 2 tonne weight of the petrol safari, its "economy" of 8-9 kms per litre is not bad after all. one should look at the weight of the vehicle in consideration in totality and not gape at the mileage figures.
Old 4th December 2007, 09:44   #474
BHPian

Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
hi. i recently drove a petrol safari and i must say it rocks. i had previously driven a diesel 2.2 too. i must say that the petrol safari seemed to be in a league of its own. it felt altogether a different "car"! i am not bothered about the resale value or the economy it will offer 5 yrs down the line. what i am bothered about is that each moment that i drive my safari, it should be memorable, pleasing, satisfying, vibration free and trouble free.

Mr. Ram, a member of team-bhp forum and a proud owner of a petrol safari is very happy with it. he and i share similar views. i know its not necessary that everyone should agree with my point of view. besides one has to be well-off enough to drive around a ten lakh plus suv. and when you own one, one should not crib about its "economy" and 125 bhp with 198 kgm torque. its enough to whiz past any vehicle without the need of down-shifting.

considering the 2 tonne weight of the petrol safari, its "economy" of 8-9 kms per litre is not bad after all. one should look at the weight of the vehicle in consideration in totality and not gape at the mileage figures.
If you've driven it and like it go for it. Follow your heart - thats what the Safari is all about.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:09   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you've driven it and like it go for it. Follow your heart - thats what the Safari is all about.
AND make your own road!
Old 4th December 2007, 11:11   #476
BHPian

Friends,

It has been some months since the Safari was launched. With what ever little problems TATA would have come accross, how would we as a consumer know if they would be corrected in the vehicles that gets dispatched??? OR is it such that the corrections are "never applied"?
Old 5th December 2007, 01:20   #477
BHPian

go for the latest batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Friends,

It has been some months since the Safari was launched. With what ever little problems TATA would have come accross, how would we as a consumer know if they would be corrected in the vehicles that gets dispatched??? OR is it such that the corrections are "never applied"?
i think the only way to ensure that you have the "corrected" vehicle is to go for the latest batch. make sure that the vehicle was manufactured in the current month (the month in which you visit your dealer and wish to buy) or not later than the previous month. you can get this information from your dealer.
Old 12th December 2007, 02:27   #478
BHPian

how to identify the latest batch of tata safari

this is for the benefit of all prospective tata safari buyers. i found this information from somewhere and had saved it on my pc. i can't exactly remember from where i got this information but if its from some member of team-bhp then i apologize for pasting the same. moderators please pardon me.

"VIN=Vehicle identification no.

It is a metal plate mouted on vehicle body, usually under hood.

On safari on left rear qtr glass, there is VIN sticker pasted too.

If no starts from E, then vehicle is manufactured in the the month of may, if it is F then June.

So in any case vehicle delievered should not be more than a month old, as safari production is much less than regular models.

If it is D or C series suspect it being old stock lyin in stockyard, sold to you.

I hope this clears your querry.Also you can find some date stickers on various vendor supplied parts like seat belt assy. or a/c blower unit under the dash etc." :-)
Old 17th December 2007, 17:24   #479
BHPian

hi all,

Took a test drive of new safari 140bhp from prerana motors.

points to note

- Its very easy to drive in city
- Max done 175kmph in NICE roads. Till 160kmph its fast after that it takes some time to reach 175kmph.
- Never try to drive fast in curves its dangerous, have tried it. suspension job is a must for this vehicle.
- ABS and EBD is a must for this vehicle if you are a fast driver. sad that abs and ebd comes with only top end model which costs 13 and odd lakhs.
- 4x4 is a must if you are an off roader.
- gear shifts are silky smooth.
Old 17th December 2007, 18:38   #480
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to the dealer today and they said that TML supplied these service books. He also showed me the book of another 2.2 standing at his showroom and it was the same. Seems kind of hard to believe.
By all possibility, our Indica V2 was among the first batch, and I got the older user manual with not a word mentioned about V2 :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks