Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 22:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crafted for a True Fan - ME (My Fiat Punto 1.3MJD 90HP Tuscan Wine)

T Wine. 90 HP.
Can't really get any better than this.
Drive a lot and then drive a bit more.

Welcome to the brotherhood.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Steering leather cover is nicely done but not the gear lever. Strands unlocking from the cover already. Needs a finishing job or a home-grown solution.
Why dont you get another (better, if I may use the word) cover from the aftermarket?

Quote:
You missed Medium Grey, Fox Trot Azure and Minimal Grey! They all look good on the Punto.
As a grey person I am inclined to dislike any colour that reminds me of myself
No offence meant, but I am a bit bored of seeing cars in silver/ ish shades.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshetty View Post
Welcome to the family buddy, your choice of car tells me you are a person with a head over the shoulders, have good taste and of course a wee bit foolish; like me !!! I too own a punto, Cabaret Punto .. I say !

Initially the coarse engine did put me off as well, but after babying the car for 250 KM ( never > 2500 rpm), I started taking her to new highs, upto 3000rpm, till 1500KM, post that I have very often taken her to the 3500 - 4000rpm band, an engine oil change later during the first service, the first complement people give me while they sit in the car is, is this a diesel ?
Though I have to add there is still beareable amount of engine noise at speed > 90Kmph, even that can be taken care of, with decent ICE which includes a pounding sub-woofer.

Quick un-wanted advice :

i) Please upgrade the head lamps

ii) Tucson Wine is a dark shade, I would recommend you get some exterior detailing done, your paint will remain safe from abusive humans, intrusive thorny plants and jobeless children.
Thanks for those words vshetty. Took a TD of the 90hp Punto and could never set my heart on any other car.

Running in is a painful process. Painful because it is literally impossible to hold this car within the prescribed RPM limits. It wants to be driven; driven fast.

Saw the pathetic output of the headlamps on the highway last night. Top on the list of things to be changed. I have done Teflon Coating on the exteriors. Hope it takes care of my Punto for sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
The one that I drove was the old quadrajet (no drivetech4, atleast this didn't have the sticker on it). That itself took off like a rocket in the turbo range. I don't mind if that kind of a boost is not available. If the Punto cruises effortlessly at 130-140 km/hr, it more than satisfies my needs, with these national highways being a blast to drive on nowadays.

Is the 90HP version available only in the emotion trim?
Yes, 90HP is available only in the top-end trim - Emotion Pack. Its a little overshoot as the budget comes dangerously closer to an entry level sedan, but the driving feel of a Punto is far superior than most entry-level sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
T Wine. 90 HP.
Can't really get any better than this.
Drive a lot and then drive a bit more.

Welcome to the brotherhood.
Thanks bro. Have read almost every Punto thread on T-BHP before going ahead with this one.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Saw the pathetic output of the headlamps on the highway last night. Top on the list of things to be changed. I have done Teflon Coating on the exteriors. Hope it takes care of my Punto for sometime.
Please make sure you update the thread when you have your headlamps upgraded, I have the Osram Night Breaker +, which I think is about 40% better(loosely) than the stock ones. But, I am looking for something even better especially for the low beam.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'm a little late, but congrats on the car. 8 out of 10 Punto's being bought now (on the forum) seem to be T-Wine !

Have been seeing quite a lot of 90HPs these days. Wish Fiat hadn't been so conservative with the tuning on this one.

Enjoy the car and keep us updated on all the good and the bad...
Old 8th July 2011, 15:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Saw the pathetic output of the headlamps on the highway last night.

Yes, 90HP is available only in the top-end trim - Emotion Pack. Its a little overshoot as the budget comes dangerously closer to an entry level sedan, but the driving feel of a Punto is far superior than most entry-level sedans.
I am attaching a photo of my seat cover these are U-SUPREME from AUTOFORM. Regarding Headlights the current OE lamps in Punto & Swift are surprisingly not very bad. I have upgraded to Nightbreaker + for both Headlights & Fog's you may have a look and then decide, else go for 100/90.

Kiran
Attached Thumbnails
Crafted for a True Fan - ME (My Fiat Punto 1.3MJD 90HP Tuscan Wine)-seat-cover.jpg  

Old 8th July 2011, 15:39   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. I like the way you have categorized every car into details. And also loved the way the satin ribbon was placed on the car. Very subtle.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Sankalp,

A bit late on spotting the thread. Wishing you unlimited safe & happy miles with the "Most Powerful Diesel Hatch in India". (As one advert said.) Nice car, nice colour and nice review. Do post more pictures as well.

You own a Fiat Punto, your avatar is that of Maserati. I presume you would be a Ferrari fan if you follow F1?

Btw, you said "My girlfriend - Punto" somewhere. Be careful with these remarks mate, if you have a real one, make sure she doesn't visit TBHP!

Cheers!
Old 8th July 2011, 20:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sankalp for your Fiat Punto. Very nice pictures and the car look gorgeous in this shade. Nice short and sweet review. I hope you will get a nice experience at TATA A.S.S while servicing your car. Please do add some more interior and engine bay pictures. Wishing you happy and safe driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post

Is the 90HP version available only in the emotion trim?
Yes, 90HP version is available only with emotion pk trim priced at Rs. 6, 84,763 (ex-showroom) Delhi.
Old 9th July 2011, 02:27   #25
BHPian

Hi Sankalp, I am buying the Punto MJD 1.3 Emo Pack, Tuscan wine next week. I did a thorough research just like you and finally am drooling for this lass ! But a final huccup has come up. I am confused between the 75BHP and 90BHP. I drive a Alto. I found the 75BHP fine but a quicker pick up would be appreciated. Again I think I can change the speakers and put seat covers with the diff that I pay for the 90HP. Since you have already taken the bold step I wanted to hear from the horses mouth. Give me a final verdict. I am very confused and i cant help looking at your car again and again. Its just mindblowing, Tuscan Wine Punto !
Old 11th July 2011, 12:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
Hi Sankalp, I am buying the Punto MJD 1.3 Emo Pack, Tuscan wine next week. I did a thorough research just like you and finally am drooling for this lass ! But a final huccup has come up. I am confused between the 75BHP and 90BHP. I drive a Alto. I found the 75BHP fine but a quicker pick up would be appreciated. Again I think I can change the speakers and put seat covers with the diff that I pay for the 90HP. Since you have already taken the bold step I wanted to hear from the horses mouth. Give me a final verdict. I am very confused and i cant help looking at your car again and again. Its just mindblowing, Tuscan Wine Punto !
Hey Mads2849,

You have asked a very difficult question! Let me try to answer this with my own example. I have driven cars over the years but never owned one. Also the cars that I drove lacked power as they were made to suit the Indian mentality of achieving higher Fuel Economy than providing Driving Pleasure. I knew I was a spirited driver from the way I used to ride my bike and drive cars. Also, once I buy a car, I would be keeping it for long and would not sell it in a few years. Hence I wanted a top-of-the-line vehicle that could check most of the boxes on my list. 90HP it was.

Now the driveability part. I took TD of 75HP as well 90HP. 90HP does give you that punch during initial pick-up which is lacking in the 75HP model, but I doubt there would be any noticeable difference in the refinement or behaviour at higher speeds. So far I have driven my Punto for 900 KMs and have taken it to 130kmph @ 3000 rpm. The car does ask for more in the 5th gear but I think the performance in a 75 HP would be at par. I suggest you PM any of the other Punto owners on the forum who have run-in their cars and have driven them extensively. Once the engine opens up after 3000-4000 kms, driving a 75HP too, should be fun.

All the best with your purchase. Share your experiences soon.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:29   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
Well Mads2849, I believe the answer would come from solving a simple math. Are you willing to spend a sizable amount of money for a 15hp difference? In day to day rides, the 15hp don't make a huge difference. But if you are not looking to conserve Vit.M you could always go for the top most possible variant which is the 90HP of course. The 90HP has a VGT. So don't expect it to throw a kick more than the 75hp one. Basically, both are the same 1.3 MJD motors with only difference being the turbo charger. So, below the turbo optimum range, the engines will behave identical in the "NA" mode. There will be turbo lag which is the inherent drawback of the national engine.

If you are not the absolute HP freak, go for the 75hp and use the saved amount for better speakers, some other goodies and of course diesel to run around. You can also get the "90 HP" mascot on the boot hatch for 100-200 bucks

Cheers!

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th July 2011 at 12:32.
Old 12th July 2011, 02:19   #28
BHPian

ReinHard, wow, wow, wow is all i can say to your reply. Man you have the perfect answer that I was wanting. Thnks a lot bro. And your last line saying i can get the 90HP logo is wonderful. I am now 100% decided, I will go for the 75 BHP and use the extra money to install goos speakers and seat covers. Till then.

Sankalp, you are very honest in typing your words. It really shows that you do not want to give me a wrong expectation. I think I can now decide on which one to go for. I will go for the 75 BHP. I normally do not push my car very hard, but I am a highway driver. So I think I can do with the intital turba lag in the 75BHP and when its raves up to 220 I would anyways get the boost. Will for sure post in pics of my new car soon and also share my experience. Thanks for all the info. Again I cant help drllong over your car. Tucson wine in Punto simply rocks. OMG !
Old 13th July 2011, 16:47   #29
BHPian

Hi Sankalp. Sorry for getting in so late on your thread. First of all, congratulations and welcome to the FIAT club. I remember you contacting me about the purchase location and am glad to see that you managed to elude the horrible Pandit Motors. Enjoy your new girlfriend and make sure to vary her rpm as much as possible. I am also of the opinion that the occasional (this being the key word) rip helps to free up the engine. You will notice a marked difference after 10K km. Puntos are like tanks and give you an extremely safe feeling. Now, when I drive my Dad's SWIFT, she feels really flimsy and I always get the jitters!

Glad to see that you got the Apollo Acceleres and not the crappy GT3s. As for the headlamps, you could consider Philips Xtreme Power too. I have them on my Formosa and she lights up the road pretty decently. Not as good as 100/90W lamps, of course, but my SA clearly told me that if I put in those, my electrical warranty would be void even without a relay. I don't know if he was bluffing, but I didn't want to take a chance especially since I had free extended warranty.
Old 13th July 2011, 19:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sankalp, congrats on the purchase. The review was unbiased and crisp. The way you intended to put it across.
The car looks great in the color. Heck, Punto looks good with any color. Its the best looking hatch, IMO.
Going by the pics, the dealer seems to be B.U Bhandari, Pashan Abhimanshri society wala. Right? How was the experiance over Pandit? Buying and TD'ing in general.

Do update some more pics and an overall driving experiance.
Happy motoring, drive safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks