Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 17:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Duster AWD Twins drive to Sikkim

I now bestow upon thee, the title of Snow-magnet !

Super duper trip and the photos of Hulk and Girgiti in snow does very effectively portray the extreme adventures you experienced.

I did take note of your casual dress in the AHD snap if you were wondering

Cheers and drive safe.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 09:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docswarna26 View Post
That is one beautiful trip you had. The snow looks really scary. And yes Duster is the king of compact SUvs
Thank You docswarna26 !! Duster does fare quite well in these situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Wow Pawan! This is splendid. I'm always fascinated by this part of the Himalayas and places en route. I'm sure you love it too as its your second travel to this region in as many years! Lovely write up with beautiful pictures. You guys displayed amazing driving skills in snow.
We had traveled to the old silk route on two wheels in the peak of winter and interestingly didn't witness any snow. And here you guys get the opportunity in the peak of summers!! Despite the trouble you guys had due to snow, I am sure I won't hear you complain!!
In all, a great trip and a wonderful log to wrap it up.
Regards,
Saket.
Thanks a lot Saket !! This part of Himalayas is truly mesmerizing. It is true that finding snow needs a bit of luck. Luckily for us, we have always found snow whenever we have gone to Silk route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Beautiful!! I could manage to log in finally and check this travelogue.
I believe I asked you about your tires sometimes back

And can you please point out prominent place near Bagdogra for that exit? As well as from the other end?
Thanks
Thank you Sheel !! Buying tyres seems to be the most confusing decision. Once you are near Bagdogra, Just put Panighata on Gmaps, it will guide you to the exit. It is called Panighata more on the Bagdogra side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
WOW.... Wonderful travelogue and the snaps are simply the best. It takes some skills to drive through these ice covered roads. I was wondering whether we get snow tyres like abroad out here ? I have seen Army trucks with chains wrapped around the tyres near Nathula pass, but not sure we get special tyres to run on the snow.
Thank you gadadhar. I don't think you get snow tyres here. But carrying nylon ropes, if not snow chains always helps. I did not anticipate so much snow in May so wasn't carrying anything. Army trucks/gypsys still use the chains in this region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I now bestow upon thee, the title of Snow-magnet !

Super duper trip and the photos of Hulk and Girgiti in snow does very effectively portray the extreme adventures you experienced.

I did take note of your casual dress in the AHD snap if you were wondering

Cheers and drive safe.
Thanks a lot Mithun. Next time you want to see snow, come with us. About the AHD attire, I think I am leaning from you.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:09   #33
BHPian

Wonderful Pawan! The pictures are mesmerizing. You all must have had a wonderful experience, especially the snow driving. Rated 5*. Could you please share the details for the home-stay in Darjeeling.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 23:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Pawan & Sayantan, Thanks for sharing the details of your scintillating trip and a daredevil ride on snow, rated a well deserved 5 stars.

Did you have ESP switched off when your AWD lock was on and you were coming downhill ? Did Girgiti also need the lock or did the tyres alone do the job ?
I generally switch off ESP on slush or snow, I was on AUTO with ESP turned off. Don't know if it was right or wrong though!
Contis performed superbly. (Plus both of us reduced tyre pressure).
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 12:14   #35
BHPian

This is one beautiful travelogue. The snow looks really challenging. And yes Duster faired pretty well.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 14:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
Wonderful Pawan! The pictures are mesmerizing. You all must have had a wonderful experience, especially the snow driving. Rated 5*. Could you please share the details for the home-stay in Darjeeling.
Thank you Dada. The Homestay is called Himshikha managed by retired Bank manager Mr. Dipak Sharma. Contact : 9749518440. This Homestay is quote away from Mall. Around 1 km from WBTDC Guest house/Gymkhana Resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
This is one beautiful travelogue. The snow looks really challenging. And yes Duster faired pretty well.
Thank you Rshrey. Duster performed flawlessly.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

Superb travelogue PapaBravo! Rated 5 stars. Too bad we missed the trip
Was there a toss between you and GhostRider28 on who would pen down the travelogue, or was it by sheer determination and pro-activeness that you completed it first?
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:43   #38

"Hope you enjoyed reading the travelogue as much as we enjoyed this trip !!" - Is this even possible?
I had been dreading since your travel, that either of you two would be soon coming up with this TL. To top it, you have posted some fantastic shots that should not have been posted at all! You pretty well know the after-effect that I have to deal now!
You were really lucky to see this view of Zuluk that too at this time of the year. Who would have thought of snow in the month of May! You are also lucky to be alive as this looks damn scary to people like us. I had this experience just once in my life where I ended up hitting the electric pole. I disliked the feeling of the car having a mind of one's own!
Oh and I really liked Sayantan's candid photography. They were absolutely hilarious!
Teesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:17   #39
BHPian

Hi Pawan,

Bijoya Greetings!
Is the Kalimpong - Reshi Khola - Rongli route doable in a Swift?
I have seen Soumyajit take his Eon in 2015. Your travelogue is more recent, hence the question!

Cheers,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Day 2 : Reshi - Silk Route - Gangtok

It had rained heavily in the night. We knew we had to take the same muddy road back again the next morning & the rain wouldn't make it better. Contrary to our thoughts, the road had become drivable in the morning & both the cars didn't have any problem.
Old 13th October 2017, 16:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Hi Pawan,

Bijoya Greetings!
Is the Kalimpong - Reshi Khola - Rongli route doable in a Swift?
I have seen Soumyajit take his Eon in 2015. Your travelogue is more recent, hence the question!

Cheers,
Sayak
Hello Sayak,

Bijoya greeting to you too !!

Kalimpong-Reshikhola-Rongli is a trouble free road and can be done in a swift. There are some small bad patches. But nothing that a swift can’t handle.

The dirt road that goes down from the main road to Reshi Eco Resort should be avoided. It a somewhat steep longish dirt road patch. If it rains, the Swift won’t be able to come up again. Smaller cars can be parked on the road at a different spot (closer by foot) and the staff helps you get down the luggage. Also, the road was being built in May, I am not sure if they have made part of it or not.

Happy Tripping !!

Regards

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 16:55   #41
BHPian

It's been a while that I have been away from the Forum and thus missed this travelogue completely. It is evident that the Duster Twins had an awesome time together exploring the lesser touched part of Sikkim. I must say that you guys were super lucky to witness snow and see the Zuluk loops in it's black forest state. Rated it a well deserved 5*
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 17:21   #42
BHPian

Thanks Pawan. Your clarification helps a lot

Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hello Sayak,

Bijoya greeting to you too !!

Kalimpong-Reshikhola-Rongli is a trouble free road and can be done in a swift. There are some small bad patches. But nothing that a swift can’t handle.
Happy Tripping !!

Regards

Pawan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks