Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:23   #16
Team-BHP Support

Romins, is that all you had to say and show?
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:34   #17
BHPian

Excellent log !

The last time I went to Kudremukh was with my office colleagues, that was an only MEN gang. But after reading your log I feel like returning with my family soon.

And thanks for sharing info on UPASANA, I never knew you had such stay options in Kudremukh.

Sorry for tresspassing your travelogue with my pic, but couldnt resist. Here is a pic of the approach towards the place where we stayed, Kudremukh Forest dept guest house. I felt like I was in Swiss !!
Attached Thumbnails
Kudremukha-dsc00169.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2009, 14:16   #18
Team-BHP Support

The picture is self explanatory! Excellent !
Would have been an amazing feeling to take a walk on this track.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Romins, is that all you had to say and show?
Looks like romins has gone on another vacation. The place is too tempting and calls for a visit. Am off next month if my finances permit .
Old 2nd January 2011, 21:26   #20
BHPian

Re: Kudremukha

Is there any timings to pass through Kudremukh park road?
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:36   #21
Team-BHP Support

I LOVE this place!!

While studying in Manipal, I have taken 3 bike rides to Kudremukh.
The 1st one, we started at 11pm and had a nice drive to Karkala and reached Kudremukh around 1am. We did the formalities at the entry gate and had a beautiful ride through the Kudremukh hills. That place is so quiet at night, you can hear the waterfalls at a distance.

The next 2, we started at 4am!

On all 3 occassions, we rode through torrential rains (the BEST time to go this place is the rainy season; and it is best enjoyed on a bike).

I have clicked some of the best pictures here; heavenly place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj302 View Post
Is there any timings to pass through Kudremukh park road?
They allow entry to private vehicles at all times; but once you cross the entry gate, you have to cross the exit gate (other end of Kudremukh) within 2-3 hours.
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I LOVE this place!!

The 1st one, we started at 11pm and had a nice drive to Karkala and reached Kudremukh around 1am. We did the formalities at the entry gate and had a beautiful ride through the Kudremukh hills. That place is so quiet at night, you can hear the waterfalls at a distance.

On all 3 occassions, we rode through torrential rains (the BEST time to go this place is the rainy season; and it is best enjoyed on a bike).

They allow entry to private vehicles at all times; but once you cross the entry gate, you have to cross the exit gate (other end of Kudremukh) within 2-3 hours.

Hi libran
I was in mangalore last month and was almost to do this trip. Didnt materialize though.
Would be great if you can post some heavenly pics..

Last edited by MohsinRoadster : 3rd January 2011 at 15:27.
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

Will do that at night!

A word of advice, try to make this trip in the monsoons; it is blissful!

You WILL get drenched in the rain, but the place looks just splendid that way.

The hills are lush green, there is a dam that overlooks Kudremukh; the dam is full, Hanumangundi waterfall looks majestic.. everything about the place is beautiful.

Shringeri, a place with lots of temples is also close by. There is a shorter route to Agumbe from here, but don't take it. The road condition is bad.

Teaser pics will be put up shortly!
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I LOVE this place!!

I would understand you studied in MIT. I guess some things don't change.

Invariably all my Kudremukh trips were on bikes barring one. The DE-riguer starting time used to 12.30-1 AM so that we could be at kudremukh Dam just at the time for SunRise! Believe me its heavenly
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:43   #25
Team-BHP Support

Yes sir, MIT I was in!

Kudremukh sure is a heavenly place. On one occasion, we left at 11pm, and roamed around the hills till 4am.

The following day we were back to Manipal and heard reports of a Naxal attack on someone the same night, somewhere near Shringeri.

The 2nd time I went, we had started at 4am so saw the sunrise sitting at the dam.

I wonder, why did I ever leave Manipal!!
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Will do that at night!

A word of advice, try to make this trip in the monsoons; it is blissful!

You WILL get drenched in the rain, but the place looks just splendid that way.

The hills are lush green, there is a dam that overlooks Kudremukh; the dam is full, Hanumangundi waterfall looks majestic.. everything about the place is beautiful.

Shringeri, a place with lots of temples is also close by. There is a shorter route to Agumbe from here, but don't take it. The road condition is bad.

Teaser pics will be put up shortly!

Awaiting your pics!!! and thank you very much..
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Will do that at night!
I guess you are referring to Lakya dam. The scene from the top of this dam is breath taking, especially during monsoon. I never seen a more beautiful scene than this. (and I mean it).

But I get depressed too. How man has exploited nature for money. The dam has been built to collect the slush from the iron mine and prevent it from washing down stream. The dam has been filled to the brim with this slush. All you can see is a lake of mud, on which no vegetation can grow. The contrast between nature's miracle and man's greed is very striking.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the dam as such is almost entirely full. Once when I'd gone, there was no water. I guess the max. depth would be 7 ft.

One thing, the dam is on one side of the road and the mine far away on the other. How does the dam stop the slush from flowing down?
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the dam as such is almost entirely full. Once when I'd gone, there was no water. I guess the max. depth would be 7 ft.

One thing, the dam is on one side of the road and the mine far away on the other. How does the dam stop the slush from flowing down?
Apparently there is a pipeline from the KIOCL plant to the dam to deposit all the sludge. But, you can see no such pipeline from the dam AFAIK. The dam is filled up to the brim and you can almost get down and walk on the sludge deposits. As mining operations have been closed, there won't be any dumping of waste anymore (I hope).
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Kudremukh has low grade iron ore. This will result in lot of silica and mud residue.after ore extraction. KIOCL has found a good dumping place inside the forest itself.

See this article that recently appeared in times of india.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks