Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 02:22   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to extend the !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
However, it has has 3 very bad defects. 1 - corrosion beyond imagination. 2 - front suspension collapse. 3 - transverse rod mounting bracket on the body breaking. 1 and 2 are tolerable but if 3 happens on the road, you will lose control completely.
Does anyone recall the fuel average the original petrol version gave? Because my parents had booked a 118NE way back in 1987, when it had just come out I guess........but while waiting for it, they were informed by someone that it gave an FE of only 5-6km/l! I don't know how reliable their source was, but it made Dad rush and immediately cancel the booking!

But I guess one good that came out of it was that he ended up sticking to our Standard Gazel, which I eventually grew up with and thus got to love classics (namely Standards! )
I doubt if it would've happened had he gone for a newer car then.
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:28   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
This Sunday?? ISnt that a little too early? I dont mind..afterall, its food!! But maybe a few other members may not be able to make it.

Sounds good how about Buffet Lunch, that way we can spend more time chit chatting and gorging on food. Theres a really good place in bandra with Sushi et all. called Global fusion or something.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:28   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Sounds good how about Buffet Lunch, that way we can spend more time chit chatting and gorging on food. Theres a really good place in bandra with Sushi et all. called Global fusion or something.
I've already made different plans for tomorrow now after we decided for 6th Sept to have the monthly meet, drive and hog.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:44   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I am attaching a photograph of a Padmini S1 having these engineering changes.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram- Just curious, where did you find this car ? how is the condition ?
Ive tried looking for many 97 fiats, they all were diesels.
How did they tackle the exhaust manifold ? right to left
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:20   #1970
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kavesh - this is an S1 petrol car. The exhaust system is same as any other S1, bacause the engine is S1 and not Nissan. Please see the photograph carefully. I have posted the photograph to indicate that the steering tie rod centre pillar has been moved back by 15 mm. You can see the offset in the pillar mounting cross member. Exhaust issue does not arise.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:49   #1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
I've already made different plans for tomorrow now after we decided for 6th Sept to have the monthly meet, drive and hog.
My Mouth is Already watering. So 6th of September is Final. Now Let us Fix a Buffet Place.
Old 24th August 2009, 19:26   #1972
BHPian

Spotted MH 03 F 3607, A 1966 Fiat 1100 Delight Taxi @ Dadar.
Here are some pics.
The owner Mr. Chandrashekhar Sharma, is very much fascinated as I talked with him, saying that many of Mumbaikars see the 1100D logo & keep the thought in their mind that whats it ?? You are the first one to take the pics & talk with me for quite few minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-240809_1843.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-240809_1842.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-240809_1844.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 20:45   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Yummy ! even the number plate lights look aluminium ! Good work Hrishi. Any more pics ? please share.
Old 24th August 2009, 20:56   #1974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Not fair. I am out of town from the 5th to the 13th.
Old 24th August 2009, 21:27   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Here are some pics.
Lovely car, considering it's a taxi! BUT, how come it's still plying, with the recent law in Bombay on scrapping taxis more than 20 years old??

This also just shows how unfair a generalisation the authorities could make even on commercial vehicles that are more than a decade old! I'd read a recent issue (few months old) of Autocar India (not mine though, stopped buying the mag years ago) that had a detailed article on a particular ramshackle fiat padmini taxi, thus concluding that these older cars are no longer fit to be used as taxis, and put up pic.s of newer cars used as taxis in foreign countries viz. Singapore etc.! Didnt the guy who wrote said article realise, that it's the quality of maintenance by the drivers/owners and the stringency of the laws regarding the same that make the difference?? D-uh!!

What's the point in waxing eloquent on the modern taxis in other countries; once our desi cabbies are given those, trust me, they'll look no different- in less time too- from the 'potentially unsafe and non-roadworthy' fiat taxis that you deem unfit!

Of course, it's not the first time said magazine was found to bash the old-gen cars! Now you know why I stopped reading it!

Last edited by Stanher : 24th August 2009 at 21:30.
Old 24th August 2009, 22:11   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
What's the point in waxing eloquent on the modern taxis in other countries; once our desi cabbies are given those, trust me, they'll look no different- in less time too- from the 'potentially unsafe and non-roadworthy' fiat taxis that you deem unfit!
I agree with you 100% The govt leaves so many loopholes and then implementation is zilch. For instance why cant we have standardised font for number plates. Why cant taxis have strict guidelines which provide standardised service to customers. For instance in NYC cabbies are not allowed to display any personal tastes religious or otherwise inside or outside the cabs that means no garish stickers, inscense sticks nothing. yet in our country the government continues to drag its feet in this aspect. Heck half the cabbies in Mumbai dont have brakelights which work, somecases they dont even exist.

Yet when I was getting my Mercedes passed the RTO officer wanted to check everything from handbrakes to brakelights. Of course then I am not a part of any Union.
Old 25th August 2009, 09:59   #1977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Here are some pics.
Thats a nice catch, thanks. Any more pictures? The owner would have felt very pleased that his mundane cab is appreceated. It goes a long way in motivating him as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Lovely car, considering it's a taxi! BUT, how come it's still plying, with the recent law in Bombay on scrapping taxis more than 20 years old?
I think there was a stay order on that. Either ways, switched identities are not uncommon.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:28   #1978
Distinguished - BHPian

Akshay Kumar has apparently still kept his first car, a 56 dukkar.

Quote:
I am very nostalgic about those early days and I am very sentimental about my possessions from those days. I have still kept my first house, my first car, even my first motorcycle.
My first car was a 1956 model Fiat which is colloquially called a ´dukkar Fiat´. I have preserved it in mint condition. I still use it sometimes. When I have to go to the beach for a jog at four thirty in the morning I even use the motorcycle.
AK international - Biography Part 3
Old 25th August 2009, 20:46   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Akshay Kumar has apparently still kept his first car, a 56 dukkar.

AK international - Biography Part 3
My cousin knows him well, maybe we can check out his Fiat sometime or maybe call him as a guest of honour for our next FCCCI mega event.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:50   #1980

That would be brilliant. Guys, I have a small request. Could we have pictures of what you think are the 20 best cars/most unique cars of the FCCCI Bombay. I owuld have put them up myself, but sadly, i have lost everything..... : (

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks