Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 21:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report

Hi BHPians any one knows owner of this jeep, i want to know weight of this TATA 407 stock tire weight, its 14 ply as mentioned on the tires,
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-img_0916-custom.jpg  

Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-img_0920-custom.jpg  

Old 1st February 2012, 22:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

@Viji: The 14 ply tire is not effective in offroad..The Sidewall does not ply enough and the only advantage is real long tire life!!

Guess its weighs around 3-5 Kgs per tyre!
Old 1st February 2012, 22:53   #48

The 407 tyre def wighs more than that, i would say 12 kgs atleast. BTW the compound is too hard to offer any grip at all in the kind of terrain we normally go OTR.
Old 1st February 2012, 23:02   #49
BHPian

Ashok its exactly weighs 17Kg each tire, Vikram its designed to take more load as mentioned its LT, just want to know the owner of that Jeep,
Old 2nd February 2012, 02:28   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Ashok its exactly weighs 17Kg each tire, Vikram its designed to take more load as mentioned its LT, just want to know the owner of that Jeep,
If you know arbaaz from the Gulbarga group (the invader with orange color roll cage bar) then you can easily get to the owner of this vehicle. This vehicle is also a part of that group.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:57   #51
BHPian

May be this will help - Naveed 917259175683. You can get the contact of Mathin / Ayoob from him. As an organizer you may have their phone numbers.
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Whats the story with the SFRA wheel being taken out? axle break, bearing bust or just a brake jam?

And where are the rest of the pics/story guys? Report is moving in 1-Low speed
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

A few shot by Taj who does all the mechanicals on the Lynx.

The venue.
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-dsc00463.jpg
5 Inline.
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-dsc00452.jpg
Up...
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-dsc00492.jpg
Upper...
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-dsc00493.jpg
Uppest.
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-dsc00503.jpg
Shadow zone, while waiting our turn.
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-dsc00494.jpg
Chai break, from Bang-Hyd.
Bangalore Annual OTR 2012 - Report-dsc00518.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Fazal sir...in some of your pics and other pics posted earlier I notice a lot of people including both drivers and passengers inside the vehicles with their arms sticking out of the vehicle.

1. Thorns and branches can cause bad lacerations to the exposed skin
2. In case of a roll or slide into a tree/rock, the exposed limbs can get badly jammed between the vehicle and the object against which it is pinned

At all times, all limbs/head etc. need to be safely inside the vehicle. This is a basic precaution which Arka, UBS etc. have told me to the point that even when driving on the road, I don't rest my arm on the window.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:33   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
We too had a Thar CRDe among Terra Tigers - It performed..ahem..it performed..ok.. No vehicle had any breakdown and we all got back to Chennai the next day! Sampled the THAR on the HIGHWAY and noted my observations!
Dear Vikram - what is the meaning of "ahem"? What were your actual observations offroad and onroad? Please post in complete detail without any sugar coating. When offroading with the underpinnings of an absolutely stock vehicle, I was expecting somethings to happen, I want to know whether these things happened! Your observations will help me to learn. MH01V521 was not stock in this regard, hence this question.

Dear Rajith - you mentioned that nothing happened even in the hands of novices. That is good news because it again proves that if driven sensibly, nothing will happen. I congratulate the novices for being such good operators.

Dear Endeavour333 - you have been right royally bitten by the Thar bug. Are you still using the Endeavour? Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate. Now everybody is reading so everybody knows! I seriously suggest you drive it on road also, I bet you, you will have a wide grin on your face as you throw every other car behind you. . Let me know!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:32   #56
BHPian

A video of my Jeep Clearing the Steep hill climb on Day 2 in Sector 4. It was a steep climb made tough by loose sand, hard rocks beneath, a tree stub and a sharp left curve at the end of the climb. I took the climb in 4WD low; 2nd gear and without much throttle made up a pace till I hit the boulder at the end of the climb where I adjusted myself and shifted to 4WD Low; 1st gear and slowly crawled up the incline.

Last edited by madhkris : 2nd February 2012 at 19:55. Reason: Video was not uploaded properly.
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Whats the story with the SFRA wheel being taken out? axle break, bearing bust or just a brake jam?

And where are the rest of the pics/story guys? Report is moving in 1-Low speed

@Svsantosh: SFRA wheel wasnt taken out by anyone, it actually came off and the driver had a narrow escape as the jeep had almost toppled but at the end rested against a tree. The vehicle came down with the great speed as it couldnt make it to the top and the entire weight of the jeep fell on this wheel and due to the bearing bust, it came off. But there was no stopping as it belonged to the Gulbarga group and they had all the required tools and spares to get going.
adnan_1212 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 20:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vikram - what is the meaning of "ahem"? What were your actual observations offroad and onroad? Please post in complete detail without any sugar coating. When offroading with the underpinnings of an absolutely stock vehicle, I was expecting somethings to happen, I want to know whether these things happened! Your observations will help me to learn. MH01V521 was not stock in this regard, hence this question.

Dear DB Sir,

Well, let me not mix words here - The Thar has a great engine but is a huge let down by its Drivetrain, GB and Steering.

Drivetrain: For all the torque generated, Atleast an OE LSD like the 550 would have helped. One often found the THAR not being able to crawl up..but had to use the RPM [read misuse of 100BHP where it is not required] to get out of any situation...An OE Locker would have help generate traction better.

GearBox: I dont like Bombay to Delhi travel in a GB, One cant do fast shifts and this limits the effectiveness of the vehicle. I dont mean one cant do it - its just that you can do it faster with a slicker GB. I agree its a HUGE improvement over the older gen Jeep Gearboxes.

Steering:
The steering inputs required for the THAR is way more than I would want of a brand new vehicle. The steering feels dead above 100 and does not inspire confidence when one comes across a bad patch or if one has to do a lane change. Infact, a similar patch on a MG413W at similar speeds felt so composed [psst..maybe thats because it was MY vehicle!!]

Again in a OTR situation, one needs to understand which direction the wheels are pointing in and the setup does not encourage that.

Overall - I'm waiting for a V2 with the following:

1. DOHC Engine - Mhawk
2. Slicker GB with 4wd manual TC
3. Auto lockers or selectable lockers [??]
4. Better Steering [2 turns lock to lock please] and steering FEEDBACK please!!
5. Better Tyres
6. FF AC and a fully LOCKABLE THAR.
7. Better integration of the underbody where things like cat con do not jut out and cause worries!!

Guess its time to start DREAMING!!

Ciao

Last edited by headers : 2nd February 2012 at 20:44.
headers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
A video of my Jeep Clearing the Steep hill climb on Day 2 in Sector 4. It was a steep climb made tough by loose sand, hard rocks beneath, a tree stub and a sharp left curve at the end of the climb. I took the climb in 4WD low; 2nd gear and without much throttle made up a pace till I hit the boulder at the end of the climb where I adjusted myself and shifted to 4WD Low; 1st gear and slowly crawled up the incline.

Madhkris Hill Climb.flv - YouTube
frankly i didnt realize you were ready to start the obstacle - just turned your head to the marshal (who was it?) and just pumped it!! good recovery after getting stuck... how did u feel?
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Axle Failure

Quote:
Guess its weighs around 3-5 Kgs per tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan_1212 View Post
But there was no stopping as it belonged to the Gulbarga group and they had all the required tools and spares to get going.
That failure is bad man ( I know Arka is grinning now). Good to know that no one was injured.

Quote:
1. DOHC Engine - Mhawk
2. Slicker GB with 4wd manual TC
3. Auto lockers or selectable lockers [??]
4. Better Steering [2 turns lock to lock please] and steering FEEDBACK please!!
5. Better Tyres
6. FF AC and a fully LOCKABLE THAR.
7. Better integration of the underbody where things like cat con do not jut out and cause worries!!
Except 1 and 6 (partially), you will get everything, AMEN !

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks