Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 13:56   #1
BHPian

4x4: A Way of Life, Australia

I joined a well known 4x4 forum in Australia just recently to get more info on modifying my Endeavour (They have 1000s of modified ones there) and was absolutely amazed at the kind of tracks and territory that they have available to explore. 4x4 vehicles are almost the norm there and making trips into the wilderness with your 4x4 on 4x4 specific tracks is extremely common. Seems like our little hobby is a way of life for many people in Australia. I cannot be more jealous than I am now. ESPECIALLY after looking at trip reports like this:

View topic - Here we go again...yeeeewwwww !! Mountain trip 29/1/12 | Australian 4WD Action

Just gorgeous tracks that I have seen nothing like in India. Their country is almost like another planet where humans have barely had an impact and nature still runs free. Check out that trip report to see what I mean and here is the link to their main Trip report forum:

View forum - Trip Reports | Australian 4WD Action

Hope you enjoy going through their adventures as much as I have
Endeavour333 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 10:12   #2
BHPian

Re: 4x4: A Way of Life, Australia

subscribe to this mag called "Austalian 4x4 Action" if you want more
satan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup, Australia and South African 4X4 forums and mags are great. The best thing is people use 4X4 vehicles to explore and do trips with families and friends. In India, most 4X4 action is limited to weekend sports offroading e.g. rock crawling and mud plugging.

In those countries, as you mentioned, using and enjoying a 4X4 is more a way of life.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 17:48   #4
BHPian

74 Pages of Modified Ford Endeavours! (or "Ranger" as they are called in Australia):

View topic - Ranger show & shine | Australian 4WD Action

Mine is on page 73
Old 20th March 2012, 18:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Mine is on page 73
And apparently, you've got a few fans in there as well

What're you going to do for the auto-locker? Is there a locker available for spline count 32??
Old 20th March 2012, 18:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979

And apparently, you've got a few fans in there as well

What're you going to do for the auto-locker? Is there a locker available for spline count 32??
One of the few times they've seen a wagon version on their forums I guess.

Btw, I still have no idea what axle and spline count I have. Arka took a peak at the axle one day for a second and thought it was a Ford 9 but I'm not 100% sure. I'm taking it to ignite garage next week to get all that checked out. We're even going to remove the diff and count the splines. Will make sure to let everyone know of the specs once I do. If it is a ford 9" axle then they come in 28 and 31 spline for which lockers are available. Will keep you posted.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:33   #7
BHPian

Wouldn't your user manual have some kind of specification on the axles. It looks like a Ford 9" axle from the pictures. If it is Ford 9", it is a very strong axle for offroading. Lot of Jeep owners here in US changed their week Dana 35 axles with Ford 9" or 8.8 or Dana 44. Ford 9" has great aftermarket support including various lockers and chromoly axle shafts. ARB selectable air locker would be the best locker for that axle.
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 10:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujarati
Wouldn't your user manual have some kind of specification on the axles. It looks like a Ford 9" axle from the pictures. If it is Ford 9", it is a very strong axle for offroading. Lot of Jeep owners here in US changed their week Dana 35 axles with Ford 9" or 8.8 or Dana 44. Ford 9" has great aftermarket support including various lockers and chromoly axle shafts. ARB selectable air locker would be the best locker for that axle.
Did you look at the pictures I posted on the forum that I linked? Thanks for your input btw. I just checked the Manual and there is no info about the axles or spline count. If it is a ford 9" then that's great because I know that The ARB dealer here has an air locker for it and I can also get an auto locker from Lock-Right. Takin it to a garage in a few days to get the spline count checked.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Did you look at the pictures I posted on the forum that I linked? Thanks for your input btw. I just checked the Manual and there is no info about the axles or spline count. If it is a ford 9" then that's great because I know that The ARB dealer here has an air locker for it and I can also get an auto locker from Lock-Right. Takin it to a garage in a few days to get the spline count checked.
Yes i was saying that based on the pictures and that is also Ford's most popular axle for that size of the vehicle if I am not mistaken.
It should be really simple to identify and axle. Most likely it is stamped on the housing what kind of axle it is. You can also go to the dealership and just talk to the mechanic their shop manuals definitely has that information.

Also if you decide to crawl under your SUV here is the link on how to identify the axle. Hope that helps you.
FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum: Re: IS IT 8' or 9" How to Identify?????
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks