Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 11:25   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbelly View Post
did a couple of u turns at slower speeds, did not want to risk overturning, esp with VSP off .
Actually, there is no such risk on sand unless you are expecting hidden rocks. The beach sand offers very little traction, therefore if you do a fast U-turn, the vehicle will drift wonderfully with very little body roll. Better try this is clean beach sand with no rocks in your path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbelly View Post
This river bed will not damage your vehicle or body work, and hence the reason to take my car there.
Yes, sand is the best option of offroading with SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I really think you should consider your 4WD techniques. Using LL for anything other than crawling is extremely wrong. If you wanted more torque, you should go into HL and turn your VSC off manually. Just a suggestion so as to help you not spoil your differential.
Can you please clarify why this is extremely wrong? And how will he get more torque in HL? Offroaders generally do any speed in any low ratio gears as long as it suits the terrain. I have driven in every gear in low ratio, in both my CJ340 and Grand Vitara as long as terrain provided slippage. Differential will get damaged only if the wheels are on tarmac or similar high traction surface.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 17:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really think you should consider your 4WD techniques. Using LL for anything other than crawling is extremely wrong. If you wanted more torque, you should go into HL and turn your VSC off manually. Just a suggestion so as to help you not spoil your differential.
Sand driving is all about maintaining momentum. Now depending on the terrain and vehicle 4HL or 4LL could be required (say 4LL 3rd gear). Nothing hard and fast, and as Samurai also mentioned, 4HL doesn't provide additional torque - one has to shift to 4LL for that.

@ Samurai: not sure 5th gear in 4LL is a good idea - the 5th is primarily meant for cruising, and is not robust enough for hard revving.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th July 2012 at 18:02.
Old 16th July 2012, 18:07   #78
BHPian

General

Pardon me for being late on this thread. I was on tour to Mumbai, Pune and Hyderabad. Stay in mumbai was brief and did get to see the famed mumbai-pune expressway this time.

Great fun you guys had. The beasts look awesome in their elements.
Are all of you using Dunlop Grandtreks or has anyone experimented with different set of shoes ?.
Old 16th July 2012, 20:04   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus
General

Pardon me for being late on this thread. I was on tour to Mumbai, Pune and Hyderabad. Stay in mumbai was brief and did get to see the famed mumbai-pune expressway this time.

Great fun you guys had. The beasts look awesome in their elements.
Are all of you using Dunlop Grandtreks or has anyone experimented with different set of shoes ?.
Hey columbus,
We all are on stock dunlops.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:58   #80

Quote:
On the Tfort 2012, you can manually turn off the VSP/traction control, however the same will automatically turn itself on once the vehicle crosses 30 KMPH. To turn it off permanently, you have to switch to LL. That is the reason i could acheive only 35 KMPH in HL and 60 KMPH in LL.

Again I fail to understand how the differential can get damaged.The terrain will allow for sufficient slippage and hence using 4th gear in LL vrs 2nd gear in HL does not make a difference to the differential. However the point to be made is that using 4th gear on LL may damage the gearbox in the long run as the 4th gear will have smaller teeth as compared to 2nd gear in HL. (2nd gear will have bigger teeth and hence more robust).

However the fact remains that to test the vehicle to the max in this terrain, you have to switch off traction control hence LL.
Old 30th November 2012, 15:54   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to see Rajmachi conquered by the T-Forts

Seems like you guys had great fun, would love to join in next time
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 22:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561
Great to see Rajmachi conquered by the T-Forts

Seems like you guys had great fun, would love to join in next time
Karan561 guderian is planning a similar otr with Pune tbhpians,inbox me your number and we will coordinate!!
Old 26th December 2012, 12:07   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Karan561 guderian is planning a similar otr with Pune tbhpians,inbox me your number and we will coordinate!!
I see previous gen T-Fort aswell as new gen T-Fort with ESP aswell.
Did you guys do any comparisions with new fortuners handling?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks