Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:32   #61

Re: Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Fabulous photos Samurai. Its a visual treat. The extent of modifications that the vehicles have undergone is unheard of in other events so far.

Slightly off-topic: I was returning from my native to Bangalore and almost on approaching Bangalore spotted a vehicle participated in RFC(RFC 119). The way the driver was driving the vehicle was totally unacceptable. Was bullying almost everyone on road with the front flash light and jumping on road humps.

First of all driving with illegal accessories on road is wrong and bullying fellow drivers is very much unacceptable. I request to drive responsibly.
RFC 119 appears to be the red Thar with front solid axle setup (two pictures visible on page 1 of this thread). It would be interesting to know if the owner is a BHPian!
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:51   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
RFC guys updated the day end photos each day, some clicks were really good. But a good write up with pictures and video gives us the virtual feel of the event.

Thanks Samurai for a detailed write up. Request Dr. Tejas to share his experience as well.
I had an awesome time at the RFC. Seeing the cars, meeting friends, meeting David Metcalf and interacting with him. This event has brought out the best in the offroaders and kudos to the organisers for bringing this event to India and the hard work that they put in.

I too have a bunch of photos to share but can't seem to get enough time to put my thoughts down. Our winch challenge write up is still pending as well. An upcoming Leh trip planning also has gotten me busy. But will soon pen down my perspective. But its all good. Special mention to Ashish Dukle (whitemm550). He was the local contact for RFC and part of the O team and his dedication held the event together like super glue in my opinion. Take a bow Ashish.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd September 2014 at 18:50.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I had an awesome time at the RFC. Seeing the cars, meeting friends, meeting David Metcalf and interacting with him. This event has brought out the best in the offroaders and kudos to the organisers for bringing this event to India and the hard work that they put in.

I too have a bunch of photos to share but can't seem to get enough time to put my thoughts down. Our winch challenge write up is still pending as well. An upcoming leg trip planning also has gotten me busy. But will soon pen down my perspective. But its all good. Special mention to Ashish Dukle (whitemm550). He was the local contact for RFC and part of the O team and his dedication held the event together like super glue in my opinion. Take a bow Ashish.
Dr Tejas, thanks a lot for the compliment. that means a lot to me
whitemm550 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:21   #64
BHPian

This Video is Credit to gizmolio1987 from youtube

Another video summing up all the action.

Last edited by Twinn : 2nd September 2014 at 21:28.
Twinn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 14:54   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Some more videos.

Credits to deepak shivanna from YouTube
@TWINN - Thanks much for sharing the videos i managed to capture at RFC

Best,
Deepak Shivanna
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 16:54   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of what i wanted to share about RFC has already been written and shared by others here and i won't repeat them.

I've already written about the good organisation levels, etc and won't repeat myself. As with every event, there is always a scope for learning and if the organisers wish i'll pass it on privately to them what i thought could improve.

The good points far outweigh these so no point even discussing them.

I'll put my views across in a different perspective (a ten point benefit of how rfc has been good for us offroaders)

I was just there as a spectator and as a guest of a gentleman called Mr. Manjunath Dukle. He is the owner of a property called DOT in south goa.

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-final-dot.jpg

DOT is perhaps one of the only properties bought to develop a private offroad track with a dedication that i haven't heard of previously in this country. That is how i got in touch with him when he invited me down last year to advice him on offroad tracks. We hit it off instantly and since then have made numerous trips to Goa and also conducted our Winch Challenge event there.

Coming back to the topic.

I was there for all days of the RFC except the twilight zone stage and closing ceremony.

The night of scrutiny when i reached the venue is was extremely surprised to see the level of preparation of the vehicles. The trophy vehicles and service teams were top notch and given the fact that most of them did not have an vehicles to look and copy makes this achievement even sweeter. To top it up most of these builds were done in record time.

Having conducted many events in the past and at nearly every event most vehicles never fulfilled all "recommended" scrutiny criteria i was even more pleasantly surprised (and happy) to see vehicles passing scrutiny which flying colours.

So Point 1 for rfc. It made the participants do the right thing and adhere to it!

Speaking to vendors from across to country, most of them had most of their stocks of recovery stuff sold out.

Point 2 for rfc. It finally got the after market guys some recognition for the high end stuff

I could see competition winches, etc on vehicles. I could see no one grumbling about the fact that the competition cost was high (compared to local events) and that too without accommodation.

Point 3 for rfc. People will spend money on their vehicles and a competition. This is where the goodwill comes into play.

The advantage of point 3 is that now people like me can make tougher tracks because the cars are already there to perform! Thank you RFC for that.

It was great to see that the participants had a fabulous service and support team accompanying them. They also had their friends along who came as moral support and many acted as managers and liaisons as well.

I could also see competing teams helping each other out in terms of spares and strategies.

Point 4 for rfc: a good competition will foster unity.

Inspite of some unavoidable delays at times, no one cribbed because they understood the reasons.

Point 5 for rfc: we have matured in thinking from the O team's point of view also. Just hoping same courtesy is given to the local event organisers.

I met just about every person i've interacted with on FB but never met face to face. It was an "absolute" pleasure.
Ofcourse meeting old friends was an added bonus.

Point 6 for rfc: probably one of the rare events where so many offroaders from the entire country converged.

Offroading as a sport got a lot of media coverage in many local and national publications.

Point 7 for rfc: good publicity will always help the sport

A company like gurkha pumped in big money to sponsor

Point 8 for rfc: Gives hope to local organisers for some sponsorships as well since these build vehicles will now need to be showcased

I learned a lot from interacting with organisers, drivers, track designers, etc

Point 9 for rfc: was a fabulous learning exercise for all

The touring adventure category. This was a new concept for me and gave people a chance to be a part of the thrills.

Point 10 for rfc: there are many people who don't like competition because it may damage your vehicle due to time essence. These people can tour along and see the action. As an organiser it gives me ideas to incorporate a competition with more touring (and obstacles) in my next event.

The other thing i noticed was the quality of videos that have come up. Ofcourse big money has been spent by hiring professional post production guys, but the outcome is WOW!

There was a slight issue that was brought to my notice. On day one which was the prologue day, i commented that the obstacles didn't look like the ones that we see on Malaysian prologue video on youtube and someone next to me commented that his innova could do those. Unfortunately someone heard that comment and mistook me for saying it and apparently repeated it in a marshals meeting that they were hurt by my comment. As soon as i was told about this, i immediately went to ashish dukle (whitemm550) and clarified. Anyways just wanted to openly say "apologies if anyone was hurt by something i didn't say or was probably passed on via hearsay."

Back to topic.

It was nice to check out the foreign builds. Nice to see pneumatic freespool systems, portal axles.

What i really learned from and appreciated was how the teams coordinated. Especially the Malaysian teams. A good communication devise was a must. Attaching foot spikes on the navigator's shoes was well thought.

A good winch also made a lot of difference.

At this point i'd like to again mention Mr. Manjunath and his brother Gaurav (of course the other brother Ashish i've already spoken about). The entrance to the DOT track was a flowing stream and they made numerous crossings to ferry people across. They also helped teams in accommodation, getting repairs and spare parts late into the night, etc. One of the true heroes who also contributed to the success.

Lastly, and on a selfish note. I was extremely happy to get acknowledgement from their track designer (David). The tracks /obstacles of our Winch Challenge and the terminator stages were 90% same and he said that these are perfect considering the vehicles and participants who were attempting such stages for the first time. And don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they copied. Our tracks markings were wiped out by rain and they designed it on their own. It's just a fluke that it was the same. So on a personal note, it made me happy that i'm getting there on the track designing level.

Thank you bearing with me for such a long post.

Here are some random pics:

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6516.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6518.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6519.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6520.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6568.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6587.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6588.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6589.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6645.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6646.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6647.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6648.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6655.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6656.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6660.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6661.jpg

Attachment 1282795

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6665.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-img_6667.jpg

Please excuse typos if any in this long post.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th September 2014 at 16:58.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 21:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
@TWINN - Thanks much for sharing the videos i managed to capture at RFC

Best,
Deepak Shivanna
Deepak I should be thanking you for the snippets of Videos..Looks like you had a balcony ticket to the event I bet you'd have some great pics too.. please share some and also your view on the event as a spectator..

Last edited by Twinn : 4th September 2014 at 21:56.
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 18:41   #68
BHPian

(There was a slight issue that was brought to my notice. On day one which was the prologue day, i commented that the obstacles didn't look like the ones that we see on Malaysian prologue video on youtube and someone next to me commented that his innova could do those. Unfortunately someone heard that comment and mistook me for saying it and apparently repeated it in a marshals meeting that they were hurt by my comment. As soon as i was told about this, i immediately went to ashish dukle (whitemm550) and clarified. Anyways just wanted to openly say "apologies if anyone was hurt by something i didn't say or was probably passed on via hearsay.")

all clarified and long forgotten Doc

(At this point i'd like to again mention Mr. Manjunath and his brother Gaurav (of course the other brother Ashish i've already spoken about). The entrance to the DOT track was a flowing stream and they made numerous crossings to ferry people across. They also helped teams in accommodation, getting repairs and spare parts late into the night, etc. One of the true heroes who also contributed to the success.)

without doubt, they were great helping hands, and true heroes in their own right, but i must mention Navin Dukle, the third cousin of mins, who was as indispensable as Manjunath and Gaurav. all of these people, did make all this things possible for us.

Last edited by whitemm550 : 5th September 2014 at 18:48. Reason: no clarity in fonts
whitemm550 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 16:50   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Take a bow, RFC organisers, marshals, support staff & participants . Extremely proud - and I speak for everyone reading this thread - to see an event of this stature coming to India & being conducted so incredibly well. Hat's off to you guys, we all know the obstacles (pun intended) one faces with motorsport events in India. You have worked hard and it shows. This is absolutely master-class!!

@ Samurai: Your report is as good as the event...as always . Thank you for taking us there.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 18:45   #70
BHPian

Cougar motersports has just been awarded the 'EVENT OF THE YEAR' award by EVO India, at the just concluded Off road expo at Pune Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-rfc-1.jpg

Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-rfc2.jpg
whitemm550 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 22:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
Cougar motersports has just been awarded the 'EVENT OF THE YEAR' award by EVO India, at the just concluded Off road expo at Pune Attachment 1346259
Congratulation Ashish. Its a feather well deserved. May we see some more breathtaking events like the RFC in near future

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks