Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 11:59   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
In riverbeds if the silt is wet and you enter you can try as hard as you can to get out but the silt just sucks you in.

The guy had gutts to even try it during the rains.
Hi Randeep,

As a personal opinion I wuld say that Its is not a matter of Guts but pure foollishness take a vechile in water when the depth and the softness of the waterbed is not known.

You would have noted at NIOC when we guys see a water we first go around the water, then put One side of the Jeep in the water and the other on the dry, then we slowly increase the depth in which we take the vechile. This way we are able to judge the depth of the water as well as the softness of the water-bed.

The golden rule of offraoding is walk the track. This is a must as at times on a recce we are not able to judge the difficulty/ sudden drops/ hidden ditches while sitting in the vechile.

Second never ever to a recce alone and try these stunts.

One untoward incident can turn fun of offroading into a nightmare. This we must remember. Think from your heads and not from you b##ls while offroading.

Atleast in NIOC we are there to have fun doing what we love the most not to compete with each other's guts.

Sorry to be harsh. But while Offroading we can have accidents that will not be fun ever,

Regds

Amit Bajaj
Old 11th May 2009, 17:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Hi Randeep,

As a personal opinion I wuld say that Its is not a matter of Guts but pure foollishness take a vechile in water when the depth and the softness of the waterbed is not known.

You would have noted at NIOC when we guys see a water we first go around the water, then put One side of the Jeep in the water and the other on the dry, then we slowly increase the depth in which we take the vechile. This way we are able to judge the depth of the water as well as the softness of the water-bed.

The golden rule of offraoding is walk the track. This is a must as at times on a recce we are not able to judge the difficulty/ sudden drops/ hidden ditches while sitting in the vechile.

Second never ever to a recce alone and try these stunts.

One untoward incident can turn fun of offroading into a nightmare. This we must remember. Think from your heads and not from you b##ls while offroading.

Atleast in NIOC we are there to have fun doing what we love the most not to compete with each other's guts.

Sorry to be harsh. But while Offroading we can have accidents that will not be fun ever,

Regds

Amit Bajaj
Amit,

I guess you took Randeep's quote in the wrong sense. I think what he was trying to imply was that the guy had gutts to even try and cross the river while it was raining. What we also do not know is if the vehicle had entered the riverbed while the water level was high, by the looks of the vehicle it looks as if the vehicle had entered the riverbed when water level was low. Once on the riverbed the vehicle may have got stuck and was unable to pull itself out, leaving them stranded in the vehicle. But later when a flash flood came the vehicle got engulfed in sand and the people sitting inside had to bail out. I am also sure of one thing that the event took place in the evening just before dark.

I dont know if you have done any offroading on a river bed during monsoons but i'd like to tell you that while crossing a river you may notice calm water but things could change within seconds during monsoons. However careful you are, tables turn very fast. The flash flood can come within seconds of you crossing the river. Your NIOC members should try riverbeds near Kala Ambh, Rajaji National Park and also Corbett during the monsoons that is. Driving through ponds and dry riverbeds is totally different.

Regards,

Autocraze
Old 12th May 2009, 12:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

LOL > That Scorpio is seriously - off the road - !

The owner must have had quite an expense getting that engine back to life.
Old 15th May 2009, 15:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocraze View Post
Amit,

I guess you took Randeep's quote in the wrong sense. I think what he was trying to imply was that the guy had gutts to even try and cross the river while it was raining. What we also do not know is if the vehicle had entered the riverbed while the water level was high, by the looks of the vehicle it looks as if the vehicle had entered the riverbed when water level was low. Once on the riverbed the vehicle may have got stuck and was unable to pull itself out, leaving them stranded in the vehicle. But later when a flash flood came the vehicle got engulfed in sand and the people sitting inside had to bail out. I am also sure of one thing that the event took place in the evening just before dark.

I dont know if you have done any offroading on a river bed during monsoons but i'd like to tell you that while crossing a river you may notice calm water but things could change within seconds during monsoons. However careful you are, tables turn very fast. The flash flood can come within seconds of you crossing the river. Your NIOC members should try riverbeds near Kala Ambh, Rajaji National Park and also Corbett during the monsoons that is. Driving through ponds and dry riverbeds is totally different.

Regards,

Autocraze
Hi Autocraze,

Like I said before. I am sorry to be harsh. Its a matter opinion. We may differ on it and I respect that.

Randeep is a personal friend and a fellow member of NIOC, we ride togather. My apoligies if I have offended him in any way.

Being an Offroader we have crossed many difficulties and challenges, Where we succeded to cross, even failed to do so and got stuck. But always had company along to be retrived.

Seeing the photo and applaud the guts of the person. I cannot do. On the other had if he would have done the same thing, taking all the precautions and having company and equipment to be retrived, I would have applauded big time.

I myself have got stuck in 5 ft water, where I was neck deep trying to put the tow starp on the Jeep. I had company and was retrived out immidiately. The damage was limited to the Air filter only.

There has been also a time when we could not retive the vechile from a climb with all the Jeeps and equipment we had so had to call a JCB to make a ramp for the vechile to come back. We had company to be retrived, but failed to do so after spending 2 hours on it. So extra help was arranged. This can happen also.

I love offroading. It is my Passion. We have to be carefull to avoid any mishap.

OFFROADING GIVES A BETTER HIGH THAN SINGLE MALT !!!

Cheers

Amit Bajaj

Last edited by Tusker4x4 : 15th May 2009 at 15:11.
Old 5th May 2011, 22:50   #35
BHPian

Re: Offroading anyone??

Quote:
Well the owner of the Scorp would be the last one to panic. Its just that it was a wrong time to be at the right place. I guess he exited from the back door.

This was a 4WD Scorp. Engine is all well as he turned the engine off when the flash floods came in.
This is a 2.6 CRDe Scorpio and not a 4x4. 4x4 Scorpio comes with 'phallic alloys' (may have been changed) and also the tow hook. The tow hook should have been there (unless & until removed).
Old 5th May 2011, 23:04   #36
BHPian

Re: Offroading anyone??

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Here are a few pics of my friend who went offroading but things did't go as planned.

Cheers !!!!!!!

Looking at the pics one tends to think, 'off road' rather than 'offroading'
!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks