Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 10:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Now the important question - which gear and which ratio?
Till this time, after my t-case gear mod, I had not put in 4L. This was my first attempt at that and I did this in 4L-1. It moved an inch by inch. If you observe the pictures, you can see that 'brake lights' come ONLY in the last picture (when I braked). Till then it just crawled inch by inch.

With a stock gypsy, I would have had to do it in 'momentum' (Like how it was attempted in Sarjapur OTR at Varthur road lake side and I literally landed on my Chassis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
... tyres made to climb it easily.
If there was no JT event Khan would have tried climbing the trail.
If i had tried in my stock gypsy my front bumper would have gone for tossing and back cannot guess what would have happened.
Yes. The tyres made a lot of difference & for sure I would have tried to take the Gypsy up the slope if this were near Bangalore.
Also, Sha is correct. This could have NO way been done with a Stock Gypsy. The front Bumper would have been ripped out & rear overhang would have got some solid beating.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:47   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This was my first attempt at that and I did this in 4L-1. It moved an inch by inch.
Was the engine idling or you had to give it some throttle? If your Gypsy could scale that without much fuss then you really do have a hot offroader Shahnawaz and perhaps you don't need a diesel after all. If on the other hand the engine had to be stressed a lot to climb that rock then a torquey diesel would make the Gypsy a dream machine
Old 30th January 2009, 10:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Was the engine idling or you had to give it some throttle? If your Gypsy could scale that without much fuss then ... you don't need a diesel after all.
Oh, no stress at all. It was just a very very light touch at the accelerator pedal. Infact you could hardly hear the engine running and not only here but in all of the JT OTR also, there was absolutely no 'momentum' required for the Gypsy and there was no stress on the engine while crawling.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:02   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, no stress at all. It was just a very very light touch at the accelerator pedal. Infact you could hardly hear the engine running and not only here but in all of the JT OTR also, there was absolutely no 'momentum' required for the Gypsy and there was no stress on the engine while crawling.
Absolutely fantastic !! Rock crawling on tickover is a treat to watch. BTW instead of the auto lockers do you have the option of a manual locker for the Gypsy? And can that be done for the front diff too?

Another question Shahnawaz. While I may be wrong I feel the Jeeps have more suspension travel compared to the Gypsy. What do you think and if you feel so too any option of improving the travel on the Gypsy?

Last edited by DKG : 30th January 2009 at 11:18.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I think its time for you install a hand operated "turn knob" accelerator. Ideal for crawling, I am sure you know the advantages of having one of these. & increase the wheel articulation

Last edited by renamo : 30th January 2009 at 11:08.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. BTW instead of the auto lockers do you have the option of a manual locker for the Gypsy? And can that be done for the front diff too?
Yes. The ARB Air Lockers, Button operated -- means that you choose when to engage the diff locks. Would cost ~75K for rear and similar amount for front.

Quote:
..While I may be wrong I feel the Jeeps have more suspension travel compared to the Gypsy. What do you think and if you feel so too any option of improving the travel on the Gypsy?
Yes. No doubt that jeeps have more suspension travel then a Gypsy. One option in Gypsy to increase suspension travel is to cut the fenders for more suspension play and wheels to move up. I have seen this in many of Samurai's pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo View Post
I think its time for you install a hand operated "turn knob" accelerator. Ideal for crawling, I am sure you know the advantages of having one of these. & increase the wheel articulation
Don't know. Am comfortable with the Gypsy steering & the 'play' it has. Wheel articulation is not a problem currently as I have done away with the 'anti-sway bar' and don't feel the need for any more articulation as yet.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th January 2009 at 11:26.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:36   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ARB Air Lockers
Its the air compressor bit that doesn't make the ARB setup appealing to me. During your research did you come across ones from Lockrite which are electric or manual lockers for the Gypsy?

Quote:
One option in Gypsy to increase suspension travel is to cut the fenders for more suspension play and wheels to move up.

Wheel articulation is not a problem currently as I have done away with the 'anti-sway bar'
In your estimation how many more inches of wheel travel did you get with the anti roll bar disconnected?

The fender problem is on account of the larger tyres?

BTW what is the wheelbase of Gypsy?

Last edited by DKG : 30th January 2009 at 11:41.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its the air compressor bit that doesn't make the ARB setup appealing to me. During your research did you come across ones from Lockrite which are electric or manual lockers for the Gypsy?
No. Don't remember any apart from ARB. I vaguely recollect one 'electric' one's but can't remember exactly which one. However in all my research, i found that the auto lockers are one of the most VFM.

Quote:
In your estimation how many more inches of wheel travel did you get with the anti roll bar disconnected?
Never attempted to check so it is just a gut feel thing --but true. How much, I don't know.

Quote:
The fender problem is on account of the larger tyres?
Yes. You are right. The big tyres would touch the fender edges.

Quote:
BTW what is the wheelbase of Gypsy?
2375 mm (for our LWB Gypsy)

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th January 2009 at 12:14.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:08   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2375 mm (for our LWB Gypsy)
Interesting I just might be able to load a stripped Gypsy with mud tyres onto my truck for long distance drives

So roughly how much have the mods costed you? And if you were to include a front locker too how much more?

Last edited by DKG : 30th January 2009 at 12:09.
Old 30th January 2009, 15:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know what, this is why we say that pictures don't do justice to the terrains. This terrain/slope is not so challenging as it looks. Infact some of the easy terrains look tough in pictures and some of the REALLY tough ones look easy.

No :-). But in one of the pictures, you can see an Innova in the background. He was passing by and he stopped to see what this circus is about. He stopped there and maybe was hoping that we will call him for help to pull us out
Great one Sultan. The explanation made a big difference.

More respect to the Gypsy.
Old 30th January 2009, 15:32   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...So roughly how much have the mods costed you? And if you were to include a front locker too how much more?
Sir, I will not put a dollar figure to them. The amount of time & effort that I have have put in, the number of weekends at the workshops, searching for parts, reading/collecting information, hearing complaints from my wife for spending my weekends with the mechanics far outnumber the $ amount spent in the mods.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:46   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I will not put a dollar figure to them.
I understand and agree, was referring to the cost of parts and labour for the mods to see what a new Gypsy with these mods racks up vis-a-vis a new Gurkha
Old 30th January 2009, 19:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Woaaaaaah this is some climber you got there khan saab. Love the short overhang looks, you need to figure something to cover that nanga front while retaining the overhang and the jeep will be a stunner (look wise)
Who cares about the look? The front fender has to be off - thats how it should look! Or else you will just have things breaking in front of you

Looks mean. Looks like Khan solved a major issue plaguing the Gypsies. Maybe the Army should make note of this

Khan, patent it before things go out of hand!
Old 30th January 2009, 20:31   #29
rippergeo

That's it! no more MM540 dreams, I'm finding myself a gypsy 1.3 mpfi..I'm a complete convert. Who cares if its petrol? If it can climb an incline like that in idle, with that gear set, who needs diesel?

Old 30th January 2009, 20:42   #30
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
That's it! no more MM540 dreams, I'm finding myself a gypsy 1.3 mpfi..I'm a complete convert. Who cares if its petrol? If it can climb an incline like that in idle, with that gear set, who needs diesel?
Welcome to Gypsy board club.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks