Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 16:35   #1
BHPian

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)

Hi guys

Chandigarh was a good trip. All of us really enyed the 250kms odd round trip in a convoy of 10 to 12 vehicles.

Our hosts at chandigarh had made excellent arrangements for food and lodging and the Saturday evening party to welocme and introduce all jeepers was very nice. We got to meet our friends from Chandigarh and some rally gypsies came down to heat up the evening.

Sunday start was slightly late but good to see the entire gathering of vehicles. I think there must have been around 30 Gypsies and Mahindras. We were led by the chandigarh chapter and the 3 rally gypsies.

I was good fun. The terrain was not very changelling (we turned back after few hrs as we needed to head back to Delhi) for as far as we went. It was a dry river bed with very very loose sand. Delhi Jeepers enjoyed the sand pits where as the chandigarh jeepers were flying on the flat sand bed and the steep inclines/declines were good fun for all.

It is good to see the North India jeep community grow in size and with time we would be able to share al lot of skills.

NIOC Guys - your views and pics please!

Cheers
Ankit

P.S. Sorry, I am not very good with write ups

Last edited by GoSlow : 9th March 2009 at 16:36.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:49   #2
BHPian

No need to be sorry,...as Samurai rightly put it convey you feelings and forget about how it is going to turn out.

Did you guys get any pictures,..I know there were a few video cameras also in tow.
Sorry I could'nt join you in this one.
Cheers !
Old 9th March 2009, 18:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Goslow,
Wow another OTR? Treat to see jeeps and other 4x4's from various parts of country:-)) Now do away with write up, let the pics do the talking:-))))
Old 9th March 2009, 20:31   #4
BHPian

Delhi Vehicle Line up

Hi Ankit,

I second that. The trip was just amazing right from the word go.

I was so excited about the trip that after sleeping at 3.30 am (Was partying) i got up at 6 am. As planned I was at Amit's place at 7 after which we went and met Laxman ji and RB Sir and were on our way to Murthal. The drive to Chandigarh was fun and the evening was just the icing on the cake. I'd like to thank Billy Gill and Vishal who organized such a wonderful gettogether of like minded people and their love for offroading.

RB Sir, Laxman Sir, Romiji, Shyam Sir, Puskin, Arjun, Amit, Harjeev, Ankit, Allan, Raj, Keshav, Karan, this is for us guys " CHAK DE PHATTE "

Shall be posting pics and video's of the OTR soon.

Cheers !!!
Old 10th March 2009, 09:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah man we all had a blast!!!
NCR OTR's are great but outstation OTR's are just too perfect. I enjoyed every moment of it. I am not much of a writer but will try to do my best!!!

Started early from my house and after the usual and very important trip to the friendly neighborhood petrol pump proceeded to Peeraghari Chowk. Here after meeting Pushkin Ahuja (NIOC Jeeper) the two of us proceeded for Delhi By-Pass where we were later joined by Arjun (NIOC) and Alan(who had come down from Mumbai, I dont remember his TeamBhp handle). Alan was suppose to travel in two jeeps MG413 and MM550(turbocharged) but due to a technical issue in his 550 only the MG413 accompaied us. We made some calls to the fellow jeepers 4 of them were coming from south delhi and 3 from Gurgaon. All of us met at Ganesh Dhabha at Muruthal. Here the jeep tally was as follows
  • MG413 (3)
  • M&M 550 (2)
  • M&M Legend (1)
  • M&M MM540 (1)
  • M&M CJ3B (1)
  • M&M Major (1)
  • Tata Safari and Hyundai Tuscon
At Muruthal
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6636.jpg

At Muruthal
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6632.jpg

From Muruthal after fillingup our bellies with some delicious pranthas and lassis (BTW I had some amazing green chillies pranthas) we proceeded to our destination.

Now what would a jeep trip be without any major or minor breakdowns. So again we were not disappointed and one of the 550 had a minor breakdown. The syncronoiser gear got stuck and luckily we were not very far from Panipat so drove on slower speeds and after getting it fixed which took about a little less than an hour proceeded further with occacionally stopping for refreshments which were as always carried by Arjun Khanna who is always eager to feed our hungry bellies and quench our thirsty throats.
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6647.jpg
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6639.jpg
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6643.jpg

Around lunch time were guys were at Ambala and whosoever has traveled on this route much have definitely heard about the ever famous "Puran Singh Ka Mashoor Dhabha".
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6655.jpg

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6656.jpg

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6658.jpg

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6665.jpg

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6667.jpg

The rest of the journey was uneventful and we proceeded to our destination Hotel Bristol at Zirakpur, I think about 5-10kms before Chandigarh City where we were to halt for the night.

Our Vehicles parked at the parking lot in the hotel parking
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_6684.jpg

I have done it till this far, I would request the fellow jeepers who were on the trip, Randeep, Amit, Ankit (anyone else if I have missed) to please carry this on further. I will keep on updating with the photographs

Also please excuse for any spelling mistakes
Old 10th March 2009, 09:22   #6
fk7
BHPian

hi harjeev,

nice writeup. looking forwards to the rest of the pictures.

By the way, do you have any pictures of the connection inside the engine compartment for the jeep with the snorkel. I hope that made sense, basically I would like to see how the snorkel is attached to the air intake inside the engine compartment.

Regards

Firoz
Old 10th March 2009, 14:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
Forester, TATA safari, Hyundai tuscon, indian 4x4 arena surely changing! I can see that Major to be a 2wd! I heard good reviews about forester awd, how did it perform?
Old 10th March 2009, 14:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up Harjeev. I look forward to the next installment.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Ill try to do the writeup later in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
By the way, do you have any pictures of the connection inside the engine compartment for the jeep with the snorkel. I hope that made sense, basically I would like to see how the snorkel is attached to the air intake inside the engine compartment.
Feroz which jeep are you refering to? the blue 540/ the grey 550 or the off-white CJ3B?
I dont have the pics any of them(pictures of the engine compartment) but if you can specify, I will try to get it at the next OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Harjeev,
Forester, TATA safari, Hyundai tuscon, indian 4x4 arena surely changing! I can see that Major to be a 2wd! I heard good reviews about forester awd, how did it perform?
All the above SUV did not take part in the OTR. These were used by fellow jeepers to travel from Delhi to Chandigarh

However there were some 2WD scorpio's and a grand Vitara at the OTR. The GV was doing ok but the 2WD's were getting stuck in the sand with all their glory.

Last edited by harjeev : 10th March 2009 at 14:49.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

A few questions.
Petty We do not have a proper forum still ay NIOC, all the information there is so cluttered and disorganized, its like locating a needle in a haystack.

I did not have vital information to include myself in the Chandigarh OTR trip. As it goes this was very well organized with proper boarding and lodging places.

Nevertheless now for the review and future knowledge.

How long was the tarmac route from Gurgaon to Chandigarh ?
How long was the off road section - what was it, Sand, Mud, Rock crawls, Jungle trails, riverbeds, off road through farmlands ?
With all the stops and sundries how long did the outgoing journey take ?
Was it comfortable to travel this distance in Jeeps, specially stuff like CJ3B or was it too hot and dusty ?
What kind of stucks and rescues were there in the off road section ?
Who are the Chandigarh Chapter of NOIC ?

What about the Night party ? Some pics.

Pics of the offroad terrain.

How much time to get back by tarmac.

While offroad on sandy sections did anyone negotiate the terrain by deflating his tyres ?
Old 10th March 2009, 15:39   #11
fk7
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

I am talking of the jeep in the attached picture. I am particularly interested in the connection inside the Jeep's engine compartment to the snorkel. Appreciate your help.

Regards

Firoz
Attached Thumbnails
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-img_2457.jpg  

Old 10th March 2009, 16:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
A few questions.
Petty We do not have a proper forum still ay NIOC, all the information there is so cluttered and disorganized, its like locating a needle in a haystack.

I did not have vital information to include myself in the Chandigarh OTR trip. As it goes this was very well organized with proper boarding and lodging places.

Nevertheless now for the review and future knowledge.

How long was the tarmac route from Gurgaon to Chandigarh ?
How long was the off road section - what was it, Sand, Mud, Rock crawls, Jungle trails, riverbeds, off road through farmlands ?
With all the stops and sundries how long did the outgoing journey take ?
Was it comfortable to travel this distance in Jeeps, specially stuff like CJ3B or was it too hot and dusty ?
What kind of stucks and rescues were there in the off road section ?
Who are the Chandigarh Chapter of NOIC ?

What about the Night party ? Some pics.

Pics of the offroad terrain.

How much time to get back by tarmac.

While offroad on sandy sections did anyone negotiate the terrain by deflating his tyres ?
Dear Shahid (Desert Fox),

The details of lodging, departure etc was put on NIOC by RBjee/Lamanjee our MOD and leaders.

The Chandighar is 270 kms away. It took us about 6 1/2 Hrs to reach. after the breakfast/lunch and breakdown stops. Anway if it had taken 8 hrs the how would it matter. The fun was about driving in a convoy as a Team with a great bunch of guys.

The travel was good as it was not hot that day, a bit dusty but what the hell, we were 13 Jeeps going to togather with 20 Guys with a common interest and passion. It was not good but GREAT/AMAZING drive.

The Drinks & Dinner was hosted by Chandighar Jeepers. They are Great Hosts. There organisation skills are commendable. Big Thanks to Mr.Billy Gill, Vishal, Aditi - Vishals wife, Mr.Gurpreet Singh, Zoravar and other Chandighar Jeepers.

We had the pleasure of Meeting Mr Raj Kapoor, The Organiser of Desert Storm, Mr.Sunny Singh, Runners up at Desert Storm and one of the most skilled Ralliest in North India.

In the Morning we met Mr.Vijay Parmar, The organiser of Raid The Himalyas. What else did we guys want.

Shahid, At NIOC we do regular OTRs, twice a month. So at times a new Joinee would feel the lack of information. Maybe some info is taken for granted. Just go with the flow and enjoy the fun.

Our OTRs are not Events but they are a bunch of passionate Jeeper doing what the love the most OFFROADING.

I would suggest you joinin then make an Opinion. Dont expect an Information bombardment. That would not happen.

Our serinors RBjee, Sarvinderjee, Laxmanjee, Romijee, Shaymjee & PUshkin have taught us our skill in offroading and with every OTR we have got better. NIOC is not about competition it is about Learning the Skill of offroading, FUN and PASSION for Offroading.

So pls join the madness you will not be disappointed

regds

Amit
NIOC
Old 10th March 2009, 16:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

I will join the next OTR, Mr. Arjun Khanna seems to be the most important guy to know. Is he coming on the March 14 trip ?

And after a few trips with NIOC when the degree of difficulty of the terrains and kind of terrains tackled is assessed I will do a recovery techniques workshop and safety workshop if NOIC gang want it.

Later of course we can do GPS skills training and a lot more.

I am getting ready for this transformation - A new form of off roading, Jeep Mania.

I have been offroading every weekend and even more for the past fifteen years but all of it was in Airconditioned comfort of Landcruisers or Landcruiser Prado.

This would be a new kind of off road trips - But Its a Jeep thing, I'll understand soon.

Not that I am new to it, In the good old days we used to travel so much in Jeeps on tarmac as well as offroad.
Old 10th March 2009, 17:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I will join the next OTR, Mr. Arjun Khanna seems to be the most important guy to know. Is he coming on the March 14 trip ?

And after a few trips with NIOC when the degree of difficulty of the terrains and kind of terrains tackled is assessed I will do a recovery techniques workshop and safety workshop if NOIC gang want it.

Later of course we can do GPS skills training and a lot more.

I am getting ready for this transformation - A new form of off roading, Jeep Mania.

I have been offroading every weekend and even more for the past fifteen years but all of it was in Airconditioned comfort of Landcruisers or Landcruiser Prado.

This would be a new kind of off road trips - But Its a Jeep thing, I'll understand soon.

Not that I am new to it, In the good old days we used to travel so much in Jeeps on tarmac as well as offroad.
Yes, Arjun is one of the most important in the group after all he is our 'Ann Data' (Food Provider).

Open Jeeps is real good fun. The Jeeps have immense capabilty to perform.

It would be great to learn about technology and your experience with the high end offroaders.

Unfortunately I cannot make it for this OTR as I have to be in Kolkatta. Will definatley meet you and will keep in touch.

Regds

Amit
Old 10th March 2009, 19:39   #15
BHPian

Pics

Hi everyone here are some pics from the Trip.

Cheers !!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009297.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009298.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009299.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009300.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009301.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009302.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009303.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009304.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009305.jpg  

Chandigarh OTR - 08 Mar 09 (sunday)-07032009306.jpg