Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 11:59   #31
BHPian

I am trying to make one but the ones that fit on the mm550 also work.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:08   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
I am trying to make one but the ones that fit on the mm550 also work.
Let me know how it works out.

BTW, I got a shovel and axe type thing (what's it called?) today from a Gardening shop.

Shovel (fibre glass handle) for Rs. 535 and the axe for Rs. 245.

Old 24th March 2010, 17:09   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Let me know how it works out.

BTW, I got a shovel and axe type thing (what's it called?) .
Its called an Aruvaal. You should have got a pick-axe instead. Unless you want to be cutting coconuts.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:43   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Its called an Aruvaal. You should have got a pick-axe instead. Unless you want to be cutting coconuts.
That's exactly why I got it! OTR to a deserted beach and relax and sip on coconuts!!!

On a serious note though, I had used this during the Bangalore OTR; clearing the path for suresh stephen. Was quite handy and useful.
Mine is different in one way. Mine has the axe type blade on the other side.
Old 13th June 2010, 17:30   #35
BANNED

Hi All I want to share an experiance
Many years back while I was travelling in Nasik(Maharashtra) interior roads /tracks, I encountered an unlikely event , my 540's fuel tank brushed to the track/road. As everybody knows the fuel supply line is at the bottom of the tank ,got hit , it bent & started leaking . I inspected it & decided not to touch it but to leave it alone ( it prooved a wiser decision ,later when I returned home & tried to dismantle the line for repairs ,the whole thing came off) . As a cautionary act I bought a length of plastic fuel line from a local Tractor spare shop & a plastic can to hold 20 ltrs. of diesel .
This plastic line( served usefull later, in two events as an alternative /temporary fuel line,) & the 20 litr. can, are now standerd items in my off road & on road touring kit.
Old 13th June 2010, 18:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sudarshan, where exactly did it happen? How come your fuel tank encounter such problem inside city limits? MM 540 has sufficient clearance to clear such obstacles within city limits.

Spike
Old 15th June 2010, 19:14   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sudarshan, where exactly did it happen? How come your fuel tank encounter such problem inside city limits? MM 540 has sufficient clearance to clear such obstacles within city limits.

Spike
Well I tried to make it short, but now as you wanted to know , this is the explanation--
I was travelling in Nasik district,rural area (not the city). In those village roads , so to say tracks, there is a peculier thing you may have encountered. It is called as Chakoree(in Marathi) means bullackcart/tractor tracks . there are two ruts (on sides) & a hump in the middle . thease ruts are formed by frequent travel by the carts /tractors. thease can also be formed by heavy goods vehicles (trucks/dumpers) ,but the bullackcart/tractor 'Chakoree' IS really dangerous it is Deep ,really deep sometimes .So during one passage I had no option but to go through the Chakoree & my Tank & the great Jeep ego got bruised.
Now don't be under imperssion that the 540 has a good ground clearence, or endup having the diesel benjo in your hand in the middle of Nowhere
P.S. Be aware of the Khuntas ( to which the citizen of the great India tie their livestocks), thease can really rip apart your tank ( while you reverse) or the engine Chamber . ( as they lie hidden in hey/grass & are made from good solid wood or a steel thing )
Old 4th May 2011, 13:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-Offroading checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Now don't be under imperssion that the 540 has a good ground clearence, or endup having the diesel benjo in your hand in the middle of Nowhere
P.S. Be aware of the Khuntas ( to which the citizen of the great India tie their livestocks), these can really rip apart your tank ( while you reverse) or the engine Chamber . ( as they lie hidden in hey/grass & are made from good solid wood or a steel thing )
Very correct Sudarshan Sir,
I did encounter this situation (Khuntas) few years back and screwed Scorpio (hell lot damage happened) and few days back my safari got stuck in Chakoree, but due to high quality skid plates nothing happened.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 28th January 2012, 20:34   #39
BHPian

The 2012 Bangalore annual offroading on 27th & 28th, was quite tough with lots of bamboo's and thorns scratching the paint and soft tops. For those who do not want to be scarred that way, some sort of tough and thick plastic exterior masking sheet with adhesive will help and can be peeled off later, similar to what the new car's come with.

Last edited by optimist : 28th January 2012 at 20:36.
Old 28th January 2015, 20:45   #40

Me and Shibu Varghese(Jeep_Captain) religiously follow a check list before heading out for any OTR. We keep a copy of the check list with is and ensure we carry all the listed items while heading out for an OTR. Sharing the list here:
Attached Files
File Type: docx OTR-Check-List.docx (23.4 KB, 636 views)
Jeep_Girl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 09:43   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here is one more for the hardcore offroaders - Satellite Phone (BSNL Satellite Phone now available to anyone in India)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpatnaik View Post
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) had started providing Global Satellite Phone Service (GSPS) in India since 25th May 2017 which was restricted to the various Govt. Agencies only. Now BSNL has decided to provide GSPS service to the General Public and Private Enterprises also. Currently this service can be used only in India.

This would be of great help to the general public who can use the same for calling from areas without mobile signal coverage in India.

The entire details are available at BSNL website.

Now the cost is little bit on the higher side for the commercial users. Hope to have the same technology at affordable rates in near future.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 13:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Vegetation:

Vegetation provides better reaction than pure sand and helps to maintain forward motion. Though it maybe a little bumpier to drive over. Therefore, if the going is soft and there is vegetation growing in the area, then drive in that area.
With due respect, I strongly disagree with this. There is sparse vegetation in desert and most of the little flora and fauna flourish there. Vegetation is home to Reptiles and Insects besides being food for grazing animals.
In my opinion and as I instructed fellow off-roaders in Dubai ...
Unless critical, vegetation should be avoided to drive over.

Amrik Singh

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 20th July 2019 at 13:34.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:59   #43
BHPian

In our tool kit, we keep pair of Jumper Cables to jump start a weak or dead battery. This is usually purchased from market and we just check the Clamps and the quality of cable (copper conductor).
Most important thing which is not checked and beyond control is the Length of Cables. This is mostly just sufficient to connect batteries when the vehicles are parked close by, which may not be possible when off roading.
It is recommended to construct long jumper cables by replacing the cable of 'Off the Shelf' cables by good 3-Core cables, all conductors twisted together at ends to make it as 'Single' wire, each for the pair of Jumper Cable.
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
In our tool kit, we keep pair of Jumper Cables to jump start a weak or dead battery. This is usually purchased from market and we just check the Clamps and the quality of cable (copper conductor).
I stopped carrying Jumper Cables and bought a Jump Starter from the USA instead - Available in different Amps for a variation of engine sizes. A good make will offer up to 20 Jumps on a single Charge, plus you can charge you phone/table, etc as well.

This is the one i have (1500 Amps)- https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...07MVY7K43?th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Offroading checklist-battery-jump.jpg  

Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
I stopped carrying Jumper Cables and bought a Jump Starter from the USA instead - Available in different Amps for a variation of engine sizes. A good make will offer up to 20 Jumps on a single Charge, plus you can charge you phone/table, etc as well.

This is the one i have (1500 Amps)- https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...07MVY7K43?th=1
Good option. May I ask about its life span. How long would it last and must be kept fully charged just like other gadgets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks