Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 21:51   #46
BHPian

Two more videos from my side,

Old 28th July 2009, 23:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
starAqua, Why didn't we think of doing return mode on this rock?

Any way let's keep it for next OTR.

I think we need to congratulate Rajesh for his best photography.

Dwarak
Saar, I thought of it for a moment and infact i asked you if we can go back the same way.
will be fun to do that section back and forth, but will be a real challenge if it rains

And yes we should not forget to take rajesh and Mjothi uncle for the OTRs.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

it seems you guys had fun, this terrain must be crazy in rains.
good to see the LC in action, thats the way you should use it.. good going guys.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:03   #49
BHPian

Khan_sultan bhai, after watching that video for almost 5 mins. i thought your gypsy will make it through that gradient. It was a lill discouraging. I think you might have made it but the camera didn`t capture it.
Old 29th July 2009, 18:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Two more videos from my side,
khansultan, was the gypsy in 4 wheel mode? Its a little surprising to see the gypsy having trouble on that gradient which in the video doesnt look too menacing! Is your front differential colliding with the stage there? Also, why wouldnt you try gaining a little more momentum or trying a sideward ramp entry?

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2009 at 11:43. Reason: Please avoid quoting pics and U tube links. Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 09:34   #51
BHPian

Looks like i missed a good OTR

Will definitely join you guys for the next round

Cheers
GB
Old 30th July 2009, 13:08   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
khansultan, was the gypsy in 4 wheel mode? Its a little surprising to see the gypsy having trouble on that gradient which in the video doesnt look too menacing!
Why is it surprising? Videos and photos can hardly show the difficulty of the terrain. Isn't that why we always say never judge the terrain by video or photo.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
.. i thought your gypsy will make it through that gradient. It was a lill discouraging. I think you might have made it but the camera didn`t capture it.
No, it didn't make it through even after some 10 odd tries. It was a bit discouraging for me too but at times you have to accept that the terrain can get the better of you/your vehicle and one can't overcome all terrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
khansultan, was the gypsy in 4 wheel mode? Its a little surprising to see the gypsy having trouble on that gradient which in the video doesnt look too menacing!
At times even the simplest of terrains can easily humble you. Nothing much you can do about that -- all part of off-roading.

Quote:
Also, why wouldnt you try gaining a little more momentum or trying a sideward ramp entry?
The terrain is like one shown below. If you come with too much of momentum, there were chances of damage to the vehicle and I don't want that. It may not be evident from pictures/video but attempting it sideways could have toppled the vehicle.

Sunday 26th July: Pearl Valley Offroad-terrain.jpg

Sunday 26th July: Pearl Valley Offroad-p40.jpg

Sunday 26th July: Pearl Valley Offroad-p42.jpg

Sunday 26th July: Pearl Valley Offroad-p43.jpg

Sunday 26th July: Pearl Valley Offroad-p46.jpg

I have a question to fellow off-roaders:

What would be the best way to cross this terrain? One can't have high momentum, so will high torque help? In 'crawling mode' I was able to cross the first mound easily but the 2nd mound had my front tyres losing traction and then the back wheels just digging in into the first mound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why is it surprising? Videos and photos can hardly show the difficulty of the terrain. Isn't that why we always say never judge the terrain by video or photo.
Yeah: 100% true. in video/pictures all terrain looks easy.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th July 2009 at 13:35.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Khan Saab,

Best way in my view is instead of taking the terrain head on , you could go diagonally. But with great care not to tilt the vehicle too much. Ofcourse with supervision.

Sunil Nanjappa had done this in his jeep a year ago at same spot but diaganally.

Samurai is correct is saying photos cannot clearly tell you what kind of terrain and gradients.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What would be the best way to cross this terrain? One can't have high momentum, so will high torque help? In 'crawling mode' I was able to cross the first mound easily but the 2nd mound had my front tyres losing traction and then the back wheels just digging in into the first mound.
Just what i feel.. The best way to cross is what you did. crossing it side wise will need a better articulation and would give better traction then the straight approach.
this terrian would definately need
1) Good breakover angle
2) good approach and depature angle
3) high torque
4) low tire pressure

You had 1-3 but i feel the tire pressure should have been reduced. In this particular terrain only if the rear wheel pushes, the front wheel gets the traction or else its just like driving in 2 low. All the load was being carried by rear wheels.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:11   #56
Sha
BHPian

But trying diagonally in Khan's Gypsy means lot of supervision.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:16   #57
Team-BHP Support

I guess with locking diff on both front and rear it would help?
Old 30th July 2009, 14:25   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - this is a wonderful offroad event. I really loved the MM540 and Gypsy both trying to pull out a stuck vehicle. That's "inter-corporate teamwork" if I may be permitted to say so! By the way, after seeing the close-up photograph of the "muck" where many vehicles faltered including the costly Japanese vehicle, one way among many is to go fast and float on the obstacle. Also tackle the obstacle at an angle so that both front wheels do not hit the crest at the same time. For this you need the right combination of power to weight ratio, coupled with the correct "entry" reduction gear in your transmission with two additional ratios to back you up half way through. Please give it a thought. Does such a vehicle exist in India -----? POWER UP / WEIGHT DOWN / DRIVELINE OPTIMIZED!

Dear Sharath - you are correct. No photograph can ever highlight the actual difficulty that we face during our offroading expeditions. In the photograph it appears so easy but we know how tough it actually is. By the way, are you going to be in Coorg? I am trying -----. let's see -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 14:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
But trying diagonally in Khan's Gypsy means lot of supervision.
ha ha!! but only khan can tell when can he roll out of his zuki, looking at his pitch&roll meter inside..
Old 30th July 2009, 14:56   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What would be the best way to cross this terrain?
I would have attempted it diagonally Shahnawaz that way only one wheel at a time meets resistance. What do you think?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks