Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 15:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR

Having done with the running in, I was looking forward to some off roading to see how the new Gypsy, stock except for Geolandar tyres, copes with the dirt, and how I cope with both!
I met Satan the other day in Pune, and he invited me to join him on his drive to Rajmachi this morning, which gave me a great way to get going with the practical part of the subject, having done with the theory! That was a great way to get started and many thanks and appreciation for showing the way, literally and figuratively. Some pictures, that strangely flatten out the terrain and make it seem a lot easier than it was, though it must have been a walk in the park for Satan. Even though he couldn't quite make it up the final climb to the point!
Pictures:
Starting off, the Gypsy in front needed to have its hubs locked as the serious stuff started. The drive to Rajmachi and the first river crossing that gets to be much more fun in the rains.
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0315.jpg
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0321.jpg
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0328.jpg
My Gypsy with the first of some serious mud on its shoes!
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0332.jpg
Satan's first approach to the final climb, and getting it sideways before cresting the top. Again, the pictures do not do the terrain justice and since it stopped an experienced hand, clearly it was challenging.
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0333.jpg
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0334.jpg
Old 15th November 2009, 15:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I predict this thread will see a lot of replies.
Old 15th November 2009, 16:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Satan's third and final attempt. Before the end of the climb there is another abrubt crest and what was happening was the car hit the crest, lost momentum, and started slipping back, and then sideways. At that last attempt, he was ( to my eyes ) precariously poised sideways on the slope, but he did not sound too flustered about it.
Before that, the two cars parked just before the climb.
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0339.jpg
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0341.jpg
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0342.jpg
We then took another trail that led to a derelict house at the end of it with a great valley view, that was cloud filled today. The two cars parked outside the house. And there was a climb out on rocks that was where I discovered the first hint of the capabilities of the Gypsy for the first time. The photo is taken going down, but coming up it is a steep climb out after a sharp right onto the rocks. I had the benefit of seeing Satan's car clamber up the rocks, but I had no clue how to go about doing this. My first attempt was a lot of noise and clutch smell. Satan then shouted down to me that I ought to let the clutch engage fully and once I backed away, engaged first in low, and came at the rocks with the clutch engaged, the car just crawled up the slope, from rock to rock, making it look effortless and me look and feel good! Brilliant and this from a stock car. I got a sense that I have just scratched the surface of its capability.
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0359.jpg
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0360.jpg
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0362.jpg
On the way back, I stalled out in a rough part of the road, looked out of the window to the rear and thought I had a flat. Only when I got out of the car, I realized that it was the suspension articulation that led me to think that, and the attached pic of the first stretch ever for the car's suspension on film.
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0366.jpg
Finally a couple of more shots to give a sense of the terrain.
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0371.jpg
Old 15th November 2009, 16:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sawyer on the first outing!

Hope to see more photos!
Old 15th November 2009, 16:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Gypsies look like twins. Hope to see more.
Old 15th November 2009, 16:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Congrats Sawyer on the first outing!

Hope to see more photos!
Thanks! Not too many photos this first time, I had my thoughts on the road and the line to be taking and not stalling etc etc to be able to take too many pictures.
But here is one that is an example of the terrain that seemed, at least to a tyro like me, a lot more challenging that it is in the photos. The stones in the way looked larger from behind the wheel! I am pretty sure the Gypsy diff would not have cleared these, and the only way was to keep them to one side and pass them on the side.
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0367_1.jpg
There were times I saw the Gypsy ahead clear stones with just a little daylight visible, and since it was shod with larger tyres, that was some cause for concern. All worked out though, though I got my rear number plate bent, and grounded the chassis a couple of times, but I was slow and it touched down into soft earth, so it was ok.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

I see from other posts here that this actually is a famous trail that is the scene of a lot of fun and frolic in the monsoons.....
Old 15th November 2009, 18:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the first OTR in your new Gypsy, Sawyer .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
... pictures, that strangely flatten out the terrain and make it seem a lot easier than it was, ....
yes, pics never do justice to the terrain, and always end up making it look much simpler than it actually is !
Old 15th November 2009, 20:42   #9
BHPian

Sawyer I feel you did great for your first OTR in the Gypsy. Trust this trip was good enough to get you hooked onto offroading .
Old 15th November 2009, 21:57   #10
BHPian

Great going Sawyer... Satan, this would have been a cake walk for you, minus the last climb

Sorry for the last minute ditch!
Old 16th November 2009, 06:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Sawyer I feel you did great for your first OTR in the Gypsy. Trust this trip was good enough to get you hooked onto offroading .
It was easy with some one to lead the way and show the line to take, thanks a lot for doing that. I am ready for another shot this coming Sunday, if the rains continue for a bit, it should get even more interesting, any takers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Great going Sawyer... Satan, this would have been a cake walk for you, minus the last climb

Sorry for the last minute ditch!
How about Sunday?!

About that last section, is there any other approach from the one that Satan took, where he came at the climb full bore, and lost way mainly because the ruts close to the top caused his tyres to lose some contact and traction and then they started scrabbling for grip and lost it. Would a slower approach in first low be a better one that might allow the suspension to articulate and tyres to hold to the ground better, as in the way to climb the rocky and steep road elsewhere?
It can only be checked out by trying, I reckon!
Old 16th November 2009, 07:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Assorted pictures that did not make the first cut

A clutch of pictures at various locations.
For the next time around, I need to figure out a way that shows the terrain more accurately. I am not sure that a lower angle is the answer, after all the terrain looks daunting from standing eye level - maybe the wide angle setting on the zoom lens is doing the flattening out. Any comment/advice on this aspect welcome.
And I guess it needs someone outside the car as it negotiates the tricky parts, to get some action shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0329.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0337.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0346.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0347.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0356.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0365.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0368.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0372.jpg  

Getting the Gypsy and my feet wet OTR-img_0373.jpg  

Old 16th November 2009, 09:31   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see you starting to take out the Gypsy for weekend fun. The Gypsy would love you for that

Quote:
... My first attempt was a lot of noise and clutch smell. Satan then shouted down to me that I ought to let the clutch engage fully and once I backed away, engaged first in low, and came at the rocks with the clutch engaged, the car just crawled up the slope, from rock to rock, making it look effortless and me look and feel good! Brilliant and this from a stock car. I got a sense that I have just scratched the surface of its capability...
Be easy on the clutch sir. The Gypsy clutch is a delicate thing and needs to be looked after. Also, using the clutch is an instinctive reaction to our city driving habits.

You are right about the capability part. A stock Gypsy is quite capable and can do wonders..

Quote:
.. The stones in the way looked larger from behind the wheel! I am pretty sure the Gypsy diff would not have cleared these, and the only way was to keep them to one side and pass them on the side.
Or simply put one tyre over them and go over the stones.

Quote:
...About that last section, ...Would a slower approach in first low be a better one that might allow the suspension to articulate and tyres to hold to the ground better, as in the way to climb the rocky and steep road elsewhere?
Haven't seen the terrain so can't comment in detail but from the pictures & description, it would require a buildup of momentum as the soil seems to be loose. Slow crawling may not work -- that would work best in rock climbs.

Quote:
...For the next time around, I need to figure out a way that shows the terrain more accurately. ...after all the terrain looks daunting from standing eye level - ..
He he. Not sure if there is some way to do that. from whatever I have seen, I have yet to see a picture that captures the actual nature of the terrain.
Old 16th November 2009, 09:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Be easy on the clutch sir. The Gypsy clutch is a delicate thing and needs to be looked after. Also, using the clutch is an instinctive reaction to our city driving habits.
You are right about the capability part. A stock Gypsy is quite capable and can do wonders..
I shut down the rpm the instant I smelt the clutch! I had not realized that inspite of it being petrol powered, it really needs very little clutch slipping, and imitates a diesel reasonably closely in low range first/second, and I was able to do the entire rocky section climb with my foot off the clutch pedal.
Old 16th November 2009, 09:52   #15
BHPian

Great to know you are having a blast with the Gypsy. Just did some off roading in the Defender yesterday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks