Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 21:53   #16
AVR
BHPian

Savin' the best for the last!

As you all saw, the last pic was where it was getting slushy. Because the Jeep got out of that, we went exploring a bit further.

Now, the interesting part with my Jeep is that only when someone else drives it, interesting incidents happen .

Harsheed took my jeep and went to explore an alternative route around the hillock through some slush. What wasn't seen was that a part of the slush was actually loose slush over almost a water body (breach of sorts) flowing down towards the river. Once you cross that section there's a hump and you are back on safe ground. Well, Once is the part that we couldn't manage.

The jeep drives through most of it with *those* tyres but when it runs into the hump, all its momentum is gone and it stops. Now one thing I know about slush is that if you are stuck either rock it back and forth (1st-R-1st) or stop trying as you'll only sink it further. So we try rocking a few times and then stopped.

It seems Don Vito had an inkling of shape of things to come!
You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-39329_417401871732_670836732_4882594_6277767_n.jpg

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-15082010196.jpg

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-15082010187.jpg

It also seems he knew we wouldn't budge an inch for a while so he finds a resting place!
You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-36819_417402056732_670836732_4882606_5119123_n.jpg

Being new to this, we've turned up for our first mini-OTR with a spade, a rope and a few wooden planks. Turns out, it was far from enough. Turns out we also think one jeep will be able to pull the other out with that rope by going in reverse. Serious underestimation of the place we were stuck. So the short-chassis with the XD3P comes in reverse. Not having as much of momentum as the 540, it parks itself in the tyre tracks made by the 540. In a few minutes flat, we now had two jeeps facing opposite directions but the same fate. Both were "royally" stuck.

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-41048_481262513083_838228083_6648918_7759607_n.jpg

We were quite visible from the main road so as in a usual small village, people gather to wonder what in the name of God were the city folks upto! Soon someone helps us find a tractor. The tractor is driven by possibly the 'village idiot' because it doesn't try going in line with either of the Jeeps and decides to park itself in the slush NEXT to the green Jeep. This funny incident provides some respite to all of us.

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-40400_417402471732_670836732_4882637_28349_n.jpg

So now the bystanders are not helping the city-folk. They also have to help one of theirs! So another tractor finally comes and pulls out the stuck tractor. Then they get on to the job of pulling out the green Jeep. Its not easy for 1 tractor. Actually it wasn't even easy for 2 as with time the Jeeps were sinking in.

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-40040_417402311732_670836732_4882628_2140775_n.jpg

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-35955_481262708083_838228083_6648923_7585454_n.jpg

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-35955_481262703083_838228083_6648922_6580740_n.jpg

Its already 2 hours and no hope in sight. Finally around 3 hours later the Green jeep is out to the sound of a lot of cheering and claps. Aren't we glad!

In the meanwhile, my 540 has been sinking and getting 'settled' and light is fading. Our only respite is that it hasn't rained. Silver lining on the clouds eh?

Meanwhile, Misal is trying to defend his Jeep from every village kid wanting to sit and fiddle with it. Eventually, I think Don Vito was invoked to protect it.

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-40879_417402651732_670836732_4882652_3823981_n.jpg

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-39847_481259443083_838228083_6648862_2639003_n.jpg

Meanwhile, serious consultations are on about what do we do to get this one out of the muck!

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-40216_417401991732_670836732_4882603_5485751_n.jpg

Its already dark and now my camera phone doesn't work and we are so bummed we stop taking pictures.

You always remember your first time - Ahmedabad's first mini-OTR-15082010203.jpg

Finally, around 1130 (we got stuck at 330) when Harsheed and I think about giving it one last try. One tractor reverses and pulls up the 540 front bumper using its hydraulics and then its tied to the bumper. Another tractor is pulling the 1st one. Three engines in full revs finally get the 540 out. We thank and pay the villagers for all their help and company (15 people stayed with us till the end!) we are back on the road.

Its rather ironic that for an off-road enthusiast on his first OTR, I have never been more glad to drive my Jeep on the road!

Lots of takeaways for newbies on OTRs in this thread. Will post my learnings and Do's/Don'ts in another post later.

Hope I could relive it for you all.

Cheers,
Adi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Here's a few simple and nice ones off hand:
GO4x4 (Gujarat Offroaders 4x4)
or
FourGO (4x4 Gujarat Offroaders)
or
GOAL (Gujarat Offroaders Association Limited)
I think I like GOA or "GO Offroad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post
Looks like you guys had good fun, please continue with the next part. This daily soaps (to be continued.....) have effected a lot of people on TBHP.
Ravi, more a constraint at work than the influence of actual daily soaps!
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:00   #17
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Here's a few simple and nice ones off hand:
GO4x4 (Gujarat Offroaders 4x4)
or
FourGO (4x4 Gujarat Offroaders)
or
GOAL (Gujarat Offroaders Association Limited)
GO4x4 (Gujarat Offroaders 4x4) sounds nice!!

Here is a super cheesy one:-
AAU JO (Ahmedabad Association of Ultimate Jeep Offroaders)
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Aditya - now you know why winch is important. Please get one. Also, please carry long and strong chains next time. Never venture alone, at least 2 vehicles must be there.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:16   #19
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Aditya - now you know why winch is important. Please get one. Also, please carry long and strong chains next time. Never venture alone, at least 2 vehicles must be there.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Totally agree.

Couple of key takeaways that are best learnt the hard way:
1) Walk the obstacle
2) Come prepared for an OTR - reliable towing equipment and ideally a winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
GO4x4 (Gujarat Offroaders 4x4) sounds nice!!

Here is a super cheesy one:
AAU JO (Ahmedabad Association of Ultimate Jeep Offroaders)
Sure takes the cake. Or should I say cheese?
Old 27th August 2010, 01:13   #20
BHPian

AVR,

welcome to offroading. And I guess you guys had an awesome OTR. And whats offroading without getting stuck. Slowly, you will accumulate so many techniques to get yourselves out.

And I can offer you few techniques. This is particularly in case of slush. Don't do a recce in a Jeep if their is only one in the group. Here I am reffering to MM 55X versions. Because Jeep is the heaviest and nothing but a Jeep or tractor can take it out. Gypsy is the best in these scenarios.

Second, never dig a jeep.Leave it the moment it loses traction. Don't bury your Jeep Differentials. If the Jeep is both differentials down, even a tractor is insufficient sometimes as you just learnt.

Third, till the time you get a winch, invest in long tow straps of 4 tons and 6 -8 meters long. Plus 2 D-shackles with each strap. And all members should have them.

Now the last one which we tried recently in our last OTR. Bring the tractor very close to the front bumper (in case that is possible). Then braid the Jeep bumper and the tractor hydraulic lift with the tow rope very tightly. And then lift the front end of the Jeep with tractor hydraulic lift, and then rescue the Jeep. This requires a little bit of skill and a bit heavier tractor. But a MM 55X can be such a bitch and needs extreme techniques. And if it is impossible to bring the tractor so close, go for the JCB. Ground the JCB. Tie a tow strap to the Jeep and the bow of the JCB, and pull using the bow.

Just one more thing, I think I would try to join you guys soon as one of my friends is going to be in Ahmedabad. Let me see if I can get my Jeep to Ahmedabad.

Happy offroading.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 27th August 2010 at 01:25.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:23   #21
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
AVR,

welcome to offroading. And I guess you guys had an awesome OTR. And whats offroading without getting stuck. Slowly, you will accumulate so many techniques to get yourselves out.
Thanks wanderhermit

And I can offer you few techniques. This is particularly in case of slush. Don't do a recce in a Jeep if their is only one in the group. Here I am reffering to MM 55X versions. Because Jeep is the heaviest and nothing but a Jeep or tractor can take it out. Gypsy is the best in these scenarios.
A stuck 540 is quite something to pull out.

Second, never dig a jeep.Leave it the moment it loses traction. Don't bury your Jeep Differentials. If the Jeep is both differentials down, even a tractor is insufficient sometimes as you just learnt.

The 540 was left on its own rightaway but unfortunately the guy in the green jeep kept digging in and he got stuck deeper than the 540. Unfortunately the 540 was stuck in a mud-top/water-base area and hence kept sinking in
Third, till the time you get a winch, invest in long tow straps of 4 tons and 6 -8 meters long. Plus 2 D-shackles with each strap. And all members should have them.

Now the last one which we tried recently in our last OTR. Bring the tractor very close to the front bumper (in case that is possible). Then braid the Jeep bumper and the tractor hydraulic lift with the tow rope very tightly. And then lift the front end of the Jeep with tractor hydraulic lift, and then rescue the Jeep. This requires a little bit of skill and a bit heavier tractor. But a MM 55X can be such a bitch and needs extreme techniques. And if it is impossible to bring the tractor so close, go for the JCB. Ground the JCB. Tie a tow strap to the Jeep and the bow of the JCB, and pull using the bow.
This is exactly the way we ended up pulling it out albeit with the tractor being also pulled by another tractor. The simple jerk towing didn't work as the 540 didn't budge an inch

Just one more thing, I think I would try to join you guys soon as one of my friends is going to be in Ahmedabad. Let me see if I can get my Jeep to Ahmedabad.

Awesome mate. Please increase the tribe. We are planning for another OTR on 29th Aug. What jeep do you have?
Happy offroading.
This Saturday I am going hunting for some good towing ropes or the nylon flat straps. Do they suffice?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 27th August 2010, 13:02   #22
BHPian

Ahh these two pics are so cute , love the dog's involvement . Very cool

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach..._5119123_n.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach..._5485751_n.jpg
Old 28th August 2010, 02:47   #23
BHPian

Ask around for someone who owns industrial cranes. He can tell you where to buy good stuff at reasonable prices.

Nylon straps are rated according to the towing strengths. 4 tons should be ideal. And 6 tons very good as you can use jerk technique also. And go for 6 to 8 meters long. Also go in for D shackles of 3 - 4 tons. I am mentioning 3 tons because sometimes the hook on the gypsy gets bent and too close to chassis. So sometimes it is not possible to use thicker D shackles.

So a gypsy guy can buy 3 ton strap with 3 ton shackles. And a Jeeper can go in for 4 - 6 ton with 4 ton shackles. Pajero and Fortuner guys should go in for 6 ton straps with similarly rated shackles.

Basically, the strap should be three times the body weight of the vehicle. So a one ton Gypsy requires three ton strap (if it is stuck with both differentials). Plus some additional support if you are using jerk technique. Although jerk technique is dangerous, one has to resort to it, if there is no winch equipped car in the group. So I think, 6 tons is very good bet.

And if you know somebody in merchant navy, you can lay your hands on the finest stuff available. period.
Old 28th August 2010, 13:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Don veto seems enjoying the slush more than Jeeps

Great terrain.
Old 28th August 2010, 13:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Snatch Strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Ask around for someone who owns industrial cranes. He can tell you where to buy good stuff at reasonable prices.

Nylon straps are rated according to the towing strengths. 4 tons should be ideal. And 6 tons very good as you can use jerk technique also. And go for 6 to 8 meters long. Also go in for D shackles of 3 - 4 tons. I am mentioning 3 tons because sometimes the hook on the gypsy gets bent and too close to chassis. So sometimes it is not possible to use thicker D shackles.

So a gypsy guy can buy 3 ton strap with 3 ton shackles. And a Jeeper can go in for 4 - 6 ton with 4 ton shackles. Pajero and Fortuner guys should go in for 6 ton straps with similarly rated shackles.

Basically, the strap should be three times the body weight of the vehicle. So a one ton Gypsy requires three ton strap (if it is stuck with both differentials). Plus some additional support if you are using jerk technique. Although jerk technique is dangerous, one has to resort to it, if there is no winch equipped car in the group. So I think, 6 tons is very good bet.

And if you know somebody in merchant navy, you can lay your hands on the finest stuff available. period.
Hi Wanderhermit,

Your suggestions are very useful. But please do not use the Snatch/Jerk technique unless you have a Snatch Strap/KE Strap.

I have seen disastrous results on jerk/snatch recoveries, Chassis getting bent, towing points getting ripped out, without proper equipment.

Also please use a Damper, on the Tow Cable.

Regards,

Arka
Old 28th August 2010, 21:55   #26
BHPian

I totally agree with Arka, i clearly remember the night before Examm when me, tejas,devang,misal and harsheed had gone for the reccee, one classic snached the other classic and the rhino hook came flying off !
not a good experience

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks