Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:08   #1

CJ3b on steroids

This was a trip just to get away from the daily grind.

I mounted a 2600cc turbo Izuzu engine into my CJ3b and went on a trip which covered or at least touched 4 state, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

As a wildlife photographer and nature lover I went to only forest or wildlife sanctuaries in these states. These are some of my photos.

My Cj3b showed ifs fangs in ghat section, believe it or not i overtook quite a lot of petrol vehicles and one gypsy, maybe he was driving slow, no he tried to overtake me, but i left him behind.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3b on steroids-nallumalli-andhra.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-mudumallai-tamilnadu.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-wayanad.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-tolpatti-kerala.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-sunset-bandipur.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-kalahatty-ghat-road.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-friends.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-brake-oil-cheak-before-ghat-road.jpg  

CJ3b on steroids-guess-where.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2010 at 15:37. Reason: Correcting punctuations for better readability. Thanks
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandakishore View Post
This was a trip just to get away from the daily grind….
I mounted a 2600cc turbo Izuzu engine into my CJ3b and went on a trip which covered or at least touched 4 state, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
As a wildlife photographer and nature lover I went to only forest or wildlife sanctuaries in these states. These are some of my photos.
My Cj3b showed ifs fangs in ghat section....believe it or not i overtook quite a lot of petrol vehicles....and one gypsy.....maybe he was driving slow...no he tried to overtake me...but i left him behind...
Hello Sir,

You're JEEP looks very nice, and the Warn Free Wheeling Hubs, add to the touch.

Can you give me some mechanical details, about
1) Engine
2) Gearbox & Transfer Case
3) Differential Ratio.

Regards,

Arka
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:16   #3
BHPian

Nandakishore,
Great to see a Cj3b covering 4 states. How was the performence of the jeep?
Love to see more of your photos.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:48   #4

hello Arka
thanks for your interest in my jeep.

First of all sorry im not a tech guy so my reply may not be up to your expectations.
The engine is a 2600cc Turbo Izuzu Diesel. The Gear box is an Izuzu 5 speed 4 wheel drive gear box, and differential ratios. I am not sure, but the performance is unbelievable we went through the ghat sections like they did not exist. The pickup and torque are just superb, more in my next reply bye.

Nandu

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2010 at 15:36. Reason: Please use proper punctuations and avoid typing like.... this.... Thanks
Old 24th August 2010, 15:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Wow this is a great news, as Arka said we would like to hear from you all the details of the modification. Maybe you can speak to your mechanic and post the details as a new thread under 4x4 vehicle section. Pictures of various installation also would definitely help.

Meanwhile looking forward to more pictures and report of the trip
Old 24th August 2010, 20:54   #6

Mr. Jaggu,
Sorry if i am going to disappoint you, but i am not much of a tech man, but i will definitely try. I will also put in some more photos of the trip.

I have a short movie clip of my jeep in action on a steep slope of loose sand, its very good id like to share it, how do i upload a clip? Kindly advice.

Nandu

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2010 at 21:05. Reason: Please use proper punctuation and avoid typing like... this..... Thanks
Old 24th August 2010, 21:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Easiest would be to upload it on Youtube and share the link.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:40   #8
BHPian

Are you sure about the engine?

To my knowledge Isuzu had only one 2.6L (Model 4ZE1)engine across their stable. This basically came on the Isuzu trooper starting from 1987 to 1991, which was a 120 hp engine came on 4 wheel drive models which was a replacement for engine model 4ZD1.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:29   #9

2600cc to 2400cc

vasanthjn
thank you for the advice, I have just come back from the garage where the engine was fitted, the mechanic who did the job has confirmed it just like you have said that it is a 2400cc engine also known as Izuzu G1, thank you for enlighting me in this issue as i had no idea except what the previous mechanic had told me - bye Nandu
Old 25th August 2010, 20:56   #10

CJ3b on steroids

To see my CJ3b in action on a steep very dusty hill track in nallumalli forests in Andhra Pradesh go to youtube by this link. Thank you - Nandu
Old 4th September 2010, 19:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Nandakishore : Sir, Can you share pics of the engine as well as the under chassis?

Thanx
Old 5th September 2010, 21:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nandu,

There is one 3B from Guntur with similar specs which belongs to my friend Dr. Amarnath, by any chance is this the same one?

Enjoyed the video clip showing the true character of a SWB 3B, and it is not surprising that it zoomed past other petrol vehicles with this kind of torque and power to weight ratio.

One question:
How long
(inches) is your rear propeller shaft with this gearbox?
As the Isuzu 6 speed 4WD gearbox is long which necessitates the rear cross member to be moved way back (as experienced in my last 550 rebuild) this also messes up the breakover angle of a 540/550 leave alone a much shorter 3B.

If you are not aware of the technicalities as mentioned by you, can you please find out?

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 5th September 2010 at 21:02.
Old 6th September 2010, 07:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
One question:
How long
(inches) is your rear propeller shaft with this gearbox?
As the Isuzu 6 speed 4WD gearbox is long which necessitates the rear cross member to be moved way back (as experienced in my last 550 rebuild) this also messes up the breakover angle of a 540/550 leave alone a much shorter 3B.
Sir, you mean 5F + 1R GB right?
Old 6th September 2010, 11:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, you mean 5F + 1R GB right?
Headers,
Yes, that's the one I am talking about.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:31   #15

fazalaliadil Sir, im happy to tell you that Dr.Amarnath is my brother -in -law he has told me about you , he has a very high regard about your knowledge in jeeps,engines and such things in fact i was with him once when he was talking to you on the phone.We both love our cj3b. bye

I will be posting the photos in short while bye till then and thanks for the interest.

fazalaliadil, Sir I have no idea as of the specifications you have asked me but i will let you know as soon as i get in touch with my mechanic. Bye for now

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th September 2010 at 10:47. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead or EDIT the original post. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks