Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 20:09   #1

Private registration for a Mahindra Maxx 4x4 Pickup

Background
I joined team=BHP in 2004 or 2005 I guess. Unfortunately I have been traveling out of India from the beginning and in 2008, I left India on for a long term basis. Because of that, I have been largely absent from this forum for last 14 or so years.

Anyway to cut the story short, I am planning to be in India for ever increasing durations in coming years and decided to buy some of those motor vehicles I always wanted.

Especially motorcycles and 4x4s.

When I was in India, I had been living mostly in Bangalore (apart from 1.5years in Pune). I still have a TL 4x4 I bought brand new back in 2008 when I lived in Pune.

The Question

Right now I am looking for an additional single cab 4x4 pickup (used), mainly to ferry my motorcycles in different states of health .

I can see, I get a lot of options in Mahindra Maxx Pickups. But in Kerala, where I am hoping to be located in the coming years; allows single cabs as goods vehicles (yellow plate) only? Or is there anyway to register them as private vehicles?

Besides, all of the 4x4 Maxx Pickups I had seen ads for, were registered as commercial (goods vehicle) to begin with. Is there a way to convert commercial plate (yellow) vehicles to private plate (white)? Not having lived in the country for last 14years, I no-longer know the local MVD regulations either. Any suggestions on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 21st July 2022, 12:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Private registration for a Mahindra Maxx 4x4 Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
... But in Kerala, where I am hoping to be located in the coming years; allows single cabs as goods vehicles (yellow plate) only? Or is there anyway to register them as private vehicles?...
It is very difficult to get a white board for a pick up in Kerala. Even Toyota had to have yellow boards for their HiLux.

While I think there is a provision for that, which involves some special order from court, the RTO's and the entire process makes sure its next to impossible practically.

Let alone a white board, you cannot even get a car registered in your name without an aadhar address change. Rental Agreement and Bills are not treated as a address proof in Kerala, whereas in Bangalore and most cities, they are perfectly OK.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 12:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

You can register a pickup truck as private vehicle only if the manufacturer declares the truck as a passenger vehicle. When a company launches a new model or variant they will file a declaration (or affidavit) with the states' transport commissioner. A copy of this document is then passed to all RTOs. Now its all digital of course.

The first step therefore is, check with the dealer.

There's no point else, as clear court direction is already in effect regarding this matter:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/46017635.cms

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 21st July 2022 at 12:20.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 13:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
It is very difficult to get a white board for a pick up in Kerala. Even Toyota had to have yellow boards for their HiLux.

While I think there is a provision for that, which involves some special order from court, the RTO's and the entire process makes sure its next to impossible practically.

Let alone a white board, you cannot even get a car registered in your name without an aadhar address change. Rental Agreement and Bills are not treated as a address proof in Kerala, whereas in Bangalore and most cities, they are perfectly OK.
Wouldn’t passport or drivers license enough for registration? Anyway I will be taking Aadhar during my next visit. Even though I wouldn’t be a resident Indian for next couple of years most likely, if not more. In fact a complete relocation to India is still not in the cards.

Ok so if pickups can’t be registered as private, I would have only very few options left I believe.
Old 21st July 2022, 13:52   #5
BANNED

The next best option is then to become a part-time entrepreneur - rent your vehicle out to a commercial driver to cover your costs and book it for your vacation trips to ferry your M.Cycles. Or consider renting a 3rd party owned vehicle and amortize the 4-5lacs you would spend on an upfront purchase.

Last edited by Ragul : 21st July 2022 at 13:54.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 17:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok so if pickups can’t be registered as private, I would have only very few options left I believe.
Have you considered Mahindra Scorpio Gataway? I have seen many pictures of people transporting motorcycles on its bed. No need to worry about the yellow plate and stuff.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Re: Private registration for a Mahindra Maxx 4x4 Pickup

The most practical way to deal with this situation is to get a Bolero Camper/Bolero derivative from KA (if you still have a valid KA address) and use it in KL.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 08:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The most practical way to deal with this situation is to get a Bolero Camper/Bolero derivative from KA (if you still have a valid KA address) and use it in KL.
What’s the current deal on using out of state vehicles in Kerala? Do they let you pay tax and use it without registering?
Old 24th July 2022, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn’t passport or drivers license enough for registration?.
Passport is sufficient. I submitted it for registering my car last year.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 15:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
What’s the current deal on using out of state vehicles in Kerala? Do they let you pay tax and use it without registering?
Well, fortunately there isn't any rule (said or unsaid) in existence at least in KL/TN that you shouldn't be using a vehicle thats registered in the neighbouring states, unlike, say the likes of Karnataka, where the cops are on a constant lookout for non KA vehicles. Almost all of the private pickups in KL (white board) are KA registered. I don't think they will let you pay the KL tax though. As long as you have a temp KA address, you are good to go.
Ofcourse, with any vehicle of DL, HR, UP, and the likes of registration, you might look odd driving in KL and might invite unwanted attention. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jeeva : 24th July 2022 at 16:02.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Background

The Question

Right now I am looking for an additional single cab 4x4 pickup (used), mainly to ferry my motorcycles in different states of health .

I can see, I get a lot of options in Mahindra Maxx Pickups. But in Kerala, where I am hoping to be located in the coming years; allows single cabs as goods vehicles (yellow plate) only? Or is there anyway to register them as private vehicles?

Thank you
I have seen many Isuzu V-cross vehicles running with private registration plates in Kerala. It is a double cab pick-up. However it may be difficult to get a private registration for a single cab pick-up because these are mainly used for commercial purposes.

What I got to understand from people in the know, the issue with registering pick-ups as private vehicles essentially comes down to the payload capacity. According to the rules, a payload beyond a certain limit requires a vehicle to be registered as a commercial vehicle. Isuzu solved this issue by reducing the payload of the V-cross. Toyota has not done this with the Hilux yet, and this is why there are no private Hiluxes in Kerala yet.

Quote:
Wouldn’t passport or drivers license enough for registration?
Yes of course you can. Any government approved document is enough. By default they ask for Aadhar first, but you can use any document to register the vehicle. I used my voter id card.

Though getting an Aadhar card is a really simple process now.
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 08:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no way one can get a single-cab pickup as a private registration anymore. Only double-cabs, and even these only if the manufacturer has been able to get CMRV/ARAI clearance for use as a private vehicle.

Just last month, I came across a beautiful Xenon single-cab white-board in Goa. (that owner had managed to get a white-board registration many years back, and the vehicle was being used on their farm). I checked through multiple people if I can get a private registration here in KA. I could have shown ownership of ancestral agri lands as proof of use, but no.

A single cab vehicle today is 2 seater, unlike earlier when they used to show jump-seats in load bay as part of passenger capacity. This plus the load capacity of today's vehicles rules out white board registration.

Even the Isuzu S-cab can only be yellow-board.

Options left are the dual-cab Bolero Camper/Isuzu V-cross/ Hilux. But will need to have the tail-gate open, and that in turn can invite attention of cops. May be a Gypsy open back, but again only if single bike to carry. However, the 4.5 ft length may not be sufficient and the tail gate may need to be opened a bit.
Old 6th August 2022, 09:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

one of my friends who takes his bikes to chennai for track events from TVM just bought a scorpio and threw out its back seats and carries his bike inside it. Perhaps you should consider that option - get a 3 row UV/MPV and use it to carry bikes. Not as convenient, but much more possible from a legal POV
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 10:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
one of my friends who takes his bikes to chennai for track events from TVM just bought a scorpio and threw out its back seats and carries his bike inside it. ...possible from a legal POV
This could well be illegal. AFAIK passenger vehicles have a payload limitation. While the cops won't mind you carrying a washing machine or small furniture in a scorpio, they'll definitely when they see a two-wheeler inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
The next best option is then to become a part-time entrepreneur - rent your vehicle out ... Or consider renting a 3rd party owned vehicle and amortize the 4-5lacs you would spend on an upfront purchase.
IMHO this is the best and the most viable solution. Especially the second one.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 10:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
This could well be illegal. AFAIK passenger vehicles have a payload limitation.
Should be fine.

1. weight will not be in excess of GVW
2. One can reduce the number of seats, but not increase beyond registered capacity.

He will have to keep the number plates on + carry documents of the bike to prove ownership. Bikes arent contraband or illegal items.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks