Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2023, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Madras Offroad Academy

An Off Road Academy run by an oral cancer surgeon. Yes, you read that right!

Amidst my Mud Life Crisis and my quest to find a reputable off-roading club in Chennai (I'm aware of Terratigers, and I've even signed up for the Palar Challenge expedition), a serendipitous Instagram post led me to an unassuming profile – The Madras Offroad Academy.

After going through the story highlights, I figure it's run by Dr. Rinku George who was a professor and Head of an Oral Cancer Department in a University in Chennai and an off-road enthusiast. He has taken a break from his academic activities and surgical practice to start this academy. I also figured they run, apart from many other activities, a 3 part course to off-Roading - basics, intermediate, and advanced. (Apparently they also host an off-road track for RC cars (probably the first in India??)!!!) The expert in me didn't wait and gave Dr. George a call and enquired when the next intermediate course in off-roading *would be. And he politely said one could enrol for the intermediate only after successfully completing the basics course. And thus I enrolled for the basics course that happened yesterday (18th Sep).

The academy is in Kelambakkam in Chennai, which is around 35kms from my place. I left home around 6:30 in the morning and reached the academy around 7:50 (after a tea and petrol stop). The entrance to the academy is a 500m drive way which requires one to engage well, the 'small lever'. Drove into the academy through the nice 'slushy cake mixing type' road to reach the vast 25 acre facility adjoining two pristine lakes.

Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted by the doctor, who was busy organizing various items unloaded from his trusty Pajero – breakfast stuff, a television, toolboxes, and more. He suggested that I explore the facility while we waited for the other participants to arrive (two were driving down from Nagercoil, and another doctor from Chennai was on the way). A brief stroll made me realize that venturing further into the grounds would necessitate engaging my 4x4 mode – essentially crawling on all fours. Thanks to the heavy rainfall the night before, the terrain was delightfully slushy and messy – a true off-roader's paradise!

Once the rest of the team joined us, we enjoyed breakfast together and promptly commenced the course. Being a professor himself, Dr. George's theoretical instruction was both well-structured and engaging. Let me be clear; when I mention theory, I don't mean it was boring in the slightest. In fact, it was riveting, peppered with practical demonstrations. We delved into a myriad of fascinating topics - off-road etiquette, environmental issues in off-roading,*how not to modify your vehicle as a beginner,* theoretical aspects like approach, breakover* (I took my Thar up a hill, got stuck, and had to be winched out!)* and departure angles, the importance of line of approach on a trail etc. I couldn't help but wish that regular driving in India was taught this way (who needs safety lectures when kids are allowed to stick their heads out of sunroofs?).

We spent at least 2 hours on winching, the safety issues around it and precautions!!!

We capped off the session with a drive around the facility. Once again, thanks to the previous night's downpour, almost all of us, including Dr. George's sturdy Pajero, got stuck, and the winch came to our rescue multiple times (who would've thought that a small motor and some steel wire could be so powerful!). Thanks to a vintage 2WD '69 Jeep, we all got plenty of chances to get our hands and legs dirty while winching the Jeep out time and time again.

The initial plan was to wrap up the day's activities by noon, but it was closer to 2:30 when we finally called it a day. We all left with a wealth of new knowledge and loads of memories, having had an absolute blast in the dirt! It was undeniably a Sunday well spent for someone grappling with a Mud Life Crisis. I'm eagerly looking forward to the advanced courses at the academy and planning some thrilling trail drives with the team in the near future!

Leaving you all with some snaps from the dat (sorry, not much pics were clicked )
Attached Thumbnails
Madras Offroad Academy-img_9530.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9536.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9537.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9535.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9528.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9529.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9522.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9525.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9527.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9532.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9533.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9531.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9534.png  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_9523.png  

stupidbeard is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 07:35   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Madras Offroad Academy

Wow I had just missed this. Had been in Chennai for 3 years with my Thar. The off roading group at Ootty and Munmar were my only gang to explore the unexplored places. Used to travel once in a month for this.

After reading your experience, I think it was a serious miss on my part. Anyways it is allways nice to see off roading threads. Enjoy your Thar and occassional off roading.
vimalvittaladas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 08:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbeard View Post
The academy is in Kelambakkam in Chennai, which is around 35kms from my place.
Wow, I never heard of this place. I too learned offroading at Kelambakkam 16 years ago. It was completely informal then, the informal chief instructor then ended up creating Terra Tigers and rest is history. Good to know there is an offroad academy near Chennai.

My ancient report: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...am-quarry.html (Report - Offroad Training Day at Kelambakkam Quarry)
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 13:19   #4
BHPian

Just did a Google search for website and related contact info.

https://madrasoffroadacademy.com/
NewUser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 23:57   #5
BHPian

If the first time it was the Thar at the academy, this time it was... Audis!

Quite peculiar, isn't it? Audis at an offroad academy?

Yes, the academy played host to a customer experience drive for Audi Chennai customers, and I had the privilege of being one of the marshals for the event.

We had the opportunity to extensively drive the Q3 and Q5 in challenging terrains, and I must say, we were all pleasantly surprised by how well the Quattro system performed in most of the terrain.

At least 30 families attended the event at the academy, which lasted the entire day last weekend. It was fun to watch the awe reflected on their faces as the Audis they drove effortlessly traversed various obstacles including some serious slush

Should you do this with your Audi? That's subjective. Can you do this with your Audi? Absolutely!

While the Quattro system did an admirable job, the low ground clearance posed a significant limitation. However, in the end, I'm sure that nobody who drove the vehicles that day in such terrain is planning to do it daily. It just broadens their travel horizons, knowing that the Quattro system is capable of handling tough terrains if need be; acknowledging that what they experienced that day was one extreme end of the spectrum.

I'll leave you with some snapshots from the event...
Attached Thumbnails
Madras Offroad Academy-img_20231124_234958.jpg  

Madras Offroad Academy-screenshot_2023112423510923_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg  

Madras Offroad Academy-screenshot_2023112423514241_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_20231118_122447.jpg  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_20231118_153845.jpg  

Madras Offroad Academy-img_20231118_155354.jpg  

stupidbeard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks