Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 15:10   #31

Re: Problems after converting MM540XD 2WD to 4WD

The following post completes this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2625281

Top Speed:
After installing genuine Mahindra speedometer chain, I tested the speedometer - it reads 52 when the actual speed is about 60. As per my mechanic, the speedometer bearing is faulty. Anyway the needle reaches to 100 on full pedal press, so I am satisfied with the top speed now.

Mileage:
I haven't tested it but my guess is - 12 to 13 kmpl.

All mechanical work done well; thanks to all fellow Jeepers for their valuable input.
I am thinking now about a little bodywork and full repainting.

Regards,
HJ13
HJ13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 22:59   #32

Re: Mm540xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi HJ13,

Just search online for Dana 44 and you will get an idea of how the differential looks and the parts.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,

Planning to buy the WARN free wheeling hubs for the MM540. Will it be okay to reference Dana 44 type axle for the correct hub purchase?

Regards,
Sreekanth
Old 8th January 2012, 11:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Fwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Planning to buy the WARN free wheeling hubs for the MM540. Will it be okay to reference Dana 44 type axle for the correct hub purchase?
Hi Sreekanth,

Pick up a Warn FWH for the "Early Jeeps" 10 Spline Flange.

Do consider Lambda FWH, made in Bangalore; economic solution.

Regards,

Arka
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:11   #34
BHPian

Finally..Converting a 2wd mm540 to a 4wd - Things to keep in mind, before I Do!

Hey guys!

Although my 2wd to 4wd conversion project has been postponing for the past 4 years, I made up my mind to do it this time..

I am on my way to converting my 2wd mm540 to a 4wd.. I will be getting a GB and a transfer case soon! with a front housing etc..

Although, I wanted to change the rear housing as well! My mechanic insisted that we make do with the present one by reversing the pumpkin on the rear as it is, by chopping it up and placing it to the right! Is this a good idea?

Also could you please advice me on the GB and the transfer case?

thanks a lot guys
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:36   #35
AVR
BHPian

Re: Finally..Converting a 2wd mm540 to a 4wd - Things to keep in mind, before I Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Although, I wanted to change the rear housing as well! My mechanic insisted that we make do with the present one by reversing the pumpkin on the rear as it is, by chopping it up and placing it to the right! Is this a good idea?
Works fine this way. Am assuming you have a KMT-90 4+1 GB right? The 2wd diff pumpkin is on the passenger side when viewing from the rear. For the 4wd conversion it will need to be on the other side i.e. the driver side. Do ensure the job is well done and that your mechanic knows what he's doing!

Quote:
Also could you please advice me on the GB and the transfer case?
What advice? If you have a KMT-90 then you'll have to look for a T-18 transfer case. Anything in particular?

Good luck!
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:56   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Finally..Converting a 2wd mm540 to a 4wd - Things to keep in mind, before I Do!

Even I'm looking to convert my 2WD 540 to 4WD.

In my case, I have a center aligned differential and FFRA. So, I was thinking of plonking in a brog warner TC, and front diff and OKBJ type axles.

yamaniac, I don't think a chop job in axles and propshafts is a good idea. Better exchange the rear differential and associated parts to a right aligned one.

Also, one point while changing into 4WD would be to watch the diff ratio matches, I guess. May be experts can confirm.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Works fine this way. Am assuming you have a KMT-90 4+1 GB right? The 2wd diff pumpkin is on the passenger side when viewing from the rear. For the 4wd conversion it will need to be on the other side i.e. the driver side. Do ensure the job is well done and that your mechanic knows what he's doing!

What advice? If you have a KMT-90 then you'll have to look for a T-18 transfer case. Anything in particular?

Good luck!
Thank you for replying AVR!
Yes its a KMT-90 4+! GB!! Options as in.. retaining the Gb and adding in the T-case.. Is this possible? just asking as I had this doubt!

However, my present GB is in horrible condition, and have no intention of keeping it.. The time has come to repair it.. and I took the second option of replacing it and getting it done to a 4wd... The 1st and gears 2nd are almost kapoot.You can only shift these gears, just like a combination lock and there is a lot of play!

If you are successful in shifting through these both, the 3rd gear slips to neutral.. This only happens if driven below the RPM!
The only free and easy to shift is the 4th gear!

Also Any pointers while I go get the GB and the T-case at the scrap dealers? My mechanic will be assisting me in getting one, But I just want to keep my heads up!
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Even I'm looking to convert my 2WD 540 to 4WD.

In my case, I have a center aligned differential and FFRA. So, I was thinking of plonking in a brog warner TC, and front diff and OKBJ type axles.

yamaniac, I don't think a chop job in axles and propshafts is a good idea. Better exchange the rear differential and associated parts to a right aligned one.

Also, one point while changing into 4WD would be to watch the diff ratio matches, I guess. May be experts can confirm.
Hey good to know!

The diff in my case is on to the passenger side! Although I would like to confess that my knowledge in these things are very limited, I only haggle around with a little bit of basics...

yes, I read about the diff ratio problem that happened to one of our members! I already have spoken to the mechanic about this problem, and he agreed to this!

I am very skeptical about the chop job on the rear diffs as well! Lets see if I can acquire a rear diff, and avoid the chop job, since the work is about to begin in a weeks time.
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:14   #39
AVR
BHPian

Given what you say is the condition of your gearbox, would recommend you to find a better gearbox + t/c piece in the scrapyard. Prices vary but shouldn't cost you more than 15-25K. In any case, whatever you buy from the scrapyard should ideally be overhauled before you use it in your personal vehicle.

Good luck hunting!
Cheers,
Adi
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:05   #40
BHPian

@yamaniac - Do refer to the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...d-2wd-4wd.html for problems you might face if you dont do it the right way. Its a good starting point for you.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 23rd January 2012, 23:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although I would like to confess that my knowledge in these things are very limited, I only haggle around with a little bit of basics.
Even I'm a n00by, just starting out on my journey with Jeep's!.
Quote:
Lets see if I can acquire a rear diff
Actually, I think the 2nd hand part dealers who provide the TC and stuff, might exchange the left aligned rear differential for a good condition right aligned one for free. I was offered the same.

Do check it out.
Old 24th January 2012, 00:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Even I'm a n00by, just starting out on my journey with Jeep's!.

Actually, I think the 2nd hand part dealers who provide the TC and stuff, might exchange the left aligned rear differential for a good condition right aligned one for free. I was offered the same.

Do check it out.
Oh. In that case the rear diff is in pretty good condition! Will find out if I can get one for free!

Have you purchased the GB and the T case already? Could you please share the expenses untill now?
Old 24th January 2012, 00:52   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you purchased the GB and the T case already? Could you please share the expenses untill now?
Nope, not purchased one yet. I'm in the thought process evaluating the pros and cons of each one, and ofcourse the VFM and practicality.. I'm starting to get tired of myself.. LOL!!..
Old 24th January 2012, 16:10   #44
BHPian

Good thread, I have picked up a few pointers from here... I am Currently underway of converting a 2wd 540 to a 4wd one!

Could someone please tell me what is a Spike Arrestor used for? And can this be sourced easily?
Old 27th January 2012, 16:41   #45
BHPian

Update - Went to the scrap yard today and got hold of a Gearbox in decent condition, With the transfer case.. Front and Rear Differentials have also been sourced.. from a seized vehicle which was auctioned at the police department

The Sourced GB and the T-Case

The Sourced Front Differentials

The Old 2wd GearBox

Currently under process:-
complete Overhaul of the new gearbox and the transfer case. Also the front and the rear differentials,

The scrapped gear box has a minute crack on the cast, so the components and gears from the gearbox will be plonked inside a new cast, which the scrap dealer humbly offered during the purchase.. The cracked cast will then be returned to him, with the 2wd gearbox and the rear housing.

Should be getting my jeep back by this Wednesday! Also getting done are complete electrical overhauls!

Plus the clutch plates have burnt and the pressure plates also needs to be replaced! This will cost another whooping 4-5 K OEM!

The Drive shaft assembly has to be cut as the size has been reduced due to the New Tcase extension.

The price for the 4wd GB and TCASE with the housing and differentials are 27500 in exchange to the old GB and the rear diffs! I am pretty sure the labour costs will be another 12-15K.

I am planning to go in for LAMBDA FWH as well, but I guess the budget has to be expanded a lil bit to throw this in as well. Should I really consider this option? I have gone through the FWH threads and What I felt was it did not make much of a difference. Also running out of your jeep in extreme conditions to engage the FWH does not make any sense to me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks