Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 01:27   #1
BHPian

Diesel Engine For Jonga ?

I am seeking advice from experienced Jonga bhpians regarding engine replacement for my upcoming JONGA.
I feel bit lucky by acquiring 1997 model. Although i am keeping it original and will restore it to original. BUT engine, i could have kept it petrol... actually i am bit lucky as the voucher (army document) says its diesel not petrol. i now have legal opportunity to swap the current petrol economic disaster with a less thirsty diesel.
i have been advised by a great jonga lover to work on HINO w04d, originally placed in 1996 in civilian jonga's.
BUT that was 1996, and VFJ could have considered army's budget and off course the availability. I may end up with the same HINO 4 litter 6 cylinder, but can some one suggest something else? I am likely to prefer HINO due to the parts being locally available in unfortunate time. is there any alternative to this engine in HINO list? When i say alternative, i mean increased power, turbo and better economy. when i say economy, i mean to drive really long miles as i do often go for photographic trips.
JONGA for me is not just a collectable stuff. I want to use it, full time.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesal Engine For Jonga ?

You can also refer to the following threads on Jonga -

Link1 (Nissan Jonga: Advice needed)

Link 2 (Finally I have my JONGA)

Link 3 (Jonga 4x4 or M&M Jeep CJ3B 4x4)

Link 4 - Jonga Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy. You are indeed one the few lucky one's to lay their hands
on a jonga as they are few and far to come by.I would suggest you go in for a Nissan
RD 28 6 cylinder as it has immense power and is as silent as petrol engine and mate it
to isuzu 5 speed 4wd gear . This setup will get you out sticky situations which you might
encounter during your photography trip. Wishing you luck with the restoration.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Congrats on buying Jonga. Reg engine, there is one engine available for sale on t-bhp classifieds.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...-G%27box.html/

You may want to check this.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 29th September 2011, 13:02   #5
BHPian

Guys Thanks For Assisting, Rd-28 Is Good Option, I Have Already Experienced It, In My Current 4x2 Jonga (5 Gear), Good Low Torque.
I Have Not Yet Discovered Isuzu, But Sounds Good Value For Money In That Advert. I Actually Intend To Keep Jongas 3 Gear Box.
The Idea Is To Keep It Original, I Have To Change Engine To Match It With The Legall Documents. This Jonga Was Given Diesal Engine During Production And Later Removed By Army But Still Carrys Diesal In Docs. It Is Kind A Gift From Vfj, As I Always Wanted Original Diesal Jonga. Converting To Diesal Otherwise Would Be Illegal.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:36   #6
BHPian

Does anyone knows the ashok leyland hino 4lt 4cylinder w04d turbo sound level?
Or how to decrease the sound? Any good insulation.? I think this engine be best suited with very good torque but i am told its noisey? Am i right?
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:50   #7
BHPian

Isuzu G1 is not enough for the Jonga. Hino i think arka has one and would explain it better.

May be a dcm toyota 14b should be good too .
Old 16th October 2011, 08:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Isuzu G1 is not enough for the Jonga. Hino i think arka has one and would explain it better.

May be a dcm toyota 14b should be good too .
14B not good enough for Jonga - It will be like a Jeep with a DI engine!
Old 16th October 2011, 19:09   #9
nnn
BHPian

Re: Diesel Engine For Jonga ?

In the good old days of the 1st Oil Crunch of the 70's the TATA 1210 engine was fitted in the Jonga with great success.

What pick up the vehicle had.

nnn
Old 1st November 2011, 02:02   #10
BHPian

Hi, I am not familiar and acquainted with jeeps, but other day an agent brought a Jonga with a Tata Sumo Engine fitted! Believe me it was looking very small
Old 1st November 2011, 02:16   #11
BHPian

What looked small ? Jonga or engine?
I m definately fitting hino w04d
Old 1st November 2011, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Let me know if you want to sell your petrol engine and gearbox once you find the HINO motor.

I'm looking for spare for my Jonga and would love to get my hands on everything that I can find.

Cheers..
Old 1st November 2011, 16:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Let me know if you want to sell your petrol engine and gearbox once you find the HINO motor.

I'm looking for spare for my Jonga and would love to get my hands on everything that I can find.

Cheers..
I WILL LET YOU KNOW, GIVE ME SOME TIME, SAY FEW MONTHS. MY JONGA BE READY BY FEB 2012.
Old 6th November 2011, 12:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsingh
I am seeking advice from experienced Jonga bhpians regarding engine replacement for my upcoming JONGA.
I feel bit lucky by acquiring 1997 model. Although i am keeping it original and will restore it to original. BUT engine, i could have kept it petrol... actually i am bit lucky as the voucher (army document) says its diesel not petrol. i now have legal opportunity to swap the current petrol economic disaster with a less thirsty diesel.
i have been advised by a great jonga lover to work on HINO w04d, originally placed in 1996 in civilian jonga's.
BUT that was 1996, and VFJ could have considered army's budget and off course the availability. I may end up with the same HINO 4 litter 6 cylinder, but can some one suggest something else? I am likely to prefer HINO due to the parts being locally available in unfortunate time. is there any alternative to this engine in HINO list? When i say alternative, i mean increased power, turbo and better economy. when i say economy, i mean to drive really long miles as i do often go for photographic trips.
JONGA for me is not just a collectable stuff. I want to use it, full time.
Hi
I kept a Jo nga for four years I bought it with Perkins six engine fitted maruti 800 aircon very good work horse top speed 90 km/h noisy poor braking at hi speed engine very heavy poor mileage plus point low maintenance
Then I swapped it with Toyota rd28 six cylinder very good but the three speed g box not suitable gearing issues
Then I swapped it with tata 407 fantastic except for the noise perfect indestructible offroader
Old 8th November 2011, 00:40   #15
BHPian

Thank you for sharing your experience. Even mine originally had Perkins, but seems the army had swapped it with petrol. I am really keen to drive 3 speed. I had once rd28 fitted with some 5 speed. But 3 speed in my knowledge will work with a high torque engine, rd28 has no chance.
I am still looking for a good condition Hino w04d with turbo. If someone can guide me in this search, that'll be great? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks