Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 09:26   #1
BHPian

Hello gentelmen,

Just wanted to get your opinion on a matter: I am seriously thinking of getting a 2 inch lift kit for my Endeavour from Iron man 4x4 in Bangalore. The two main gains for me would be the ride quality improvement and the increase in ride height. The ride height increase would obviously result in increased ADR angles too.

I currently have no plans to get a Jeep / Gypsy because I am leaving to the U.S in 2 years to get my MBA and don’t know how often I will return. I had a great time joining the Chennai group for an OTR last weekend and I want to continue coming to do whatever obstacles I can safely do. Changing my suspension setup should along with increased ride height, greatly improve suspension travel, articulation, grip, and therefore my ability to do more of the obstacles that are being done by the Jeeps.

I realize my COG will be increased but I really dont intend to getting anywhere close to the tipping point for that to matter that much (I think). I could also put in 5 mm / 10 mm spacers on my wheels to broaden the wheel base a little. Iron man Bangalore is quoting me at 85,000 for the kit but I want to bring that down to about 60,000 as another member, Ricky63 on our forums apparently paid only 55,000 for his 2 inch lron man. That might have been a while ago though.

Would just like some sound advice on this modification. Please keep in mind that I will be joining most future OTRs regardless of what anyone says about damaging my vehicle etc, etc, because I am stubborn like that

This is more of damage control/prevention and how I can have the most fun by doing more obstacles. My biggest problem right now IMO are the ADR angles of the Endeavour (due to long wheel base) that are preventing me from doing the obstacles that you Jeepers are doing.

Appreciate all the advice!

-Vishnu

Modifications to date: 255/65/16 Yokohama Geolandar AT Tyres, Removed Side Step Boards, Spider Diesel Tuning Box, K&N Air Filter.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 13th October 2011 at 09:30.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Iron Man 2" Lift Kit for Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Hello gentelmen,

Just wanted to get your opinion on a matter: I am seriously thinking of getting a 2 inch lift kit for my Endeavour from Iron man 4x4 in Bangalore. The two main gains for me would be the ride quality improvement and the increase in ride height. The ride height increase would obviously result in increased ADR angles too.

I currently have no plans to get a Jeep / Gypsy because I am leaving to the U.S in 2 years to get my MBA and don’t know how often I will return. I had a great time joining the Chennai group for an OTR last weekend and I want to continue coming to do whatever obstacles I can safely do. Changing my suspension setup should along with increased ride height, greatly improve suspension travel, articulation, grip, and therefore my ability to do more of the obstacles that are being done by the Jeeps.

I realize my COG will be increased but I really dont intend to getting anywhere close to the tipping point for that to matter that much (I think). I could also put in 5 mm / 10 mm spacers on my wheels to broaden the wheel base a little. Iron man Bangalore is quoting me at 85,000 for the kit but I want to bring that down to about 60,000 as another member, Ricky63 on our forums apparently paid only 55,000 for his 2 inch lron man. That might have been a while ago though.

Would just like some sound advice on this modification. Please keep in mind that I will be joining most future OTRs regardless of what anyone says about damaging my vehicle etc, etc, because I am stubborn like that

This is more of damage control/prevention and how I can have the most fun by doing more obstacles. My biggest problem right now IMO are the ADR angles of the Endeavour (due to long wheel base) that are preventing me from doing the obstacles that you Jeepers are doing.

Appreciate all the advice!

-Vishnu

Modifications to date: 255/65/16 Yokohama Geolandar AT Tyres, Removed Side Step Boards, Spider Diesel Tuning Box, K&N Air Filter.

Hi Vishnu,

What all is being provided in the Lift Kit?

How will the kit deliver the desirable lift.

Warranty -- Guarantee

Regards,

Arka

PS - That is also one of the reasons for me suggesting "taller" tyres.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c
PS - That is also one of the reasons for me suggesting "taller" tyres.
Thanks Arka, will call Zac of Ironman and ask him all these questions.

Regarding the tyres, I knew you meant that but I just wanted to get a good AT pattern badly without having to spend so much on rims as well. These tyres i have now look really good on the car too. Also didn't want to lower my final drive ratio too much.

Now if I get a lift, I get increased ride height + I get a slightly higher final drive ratio due to slightly smaller tyres too. More acceleration!
Old 13th October 2011, 21:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ironman is a fairly well known Aussie brand, but the prices quoted seem very steep. Where I am right now a 2-inch lift with Foam-Cell shocks and steering damper will set you back by about Rs36-40k depending on the vehicle - double the (already high) prices here with duty seems very hard to swallow.

You're probably looking at stronger springs in the rear and a torsionbar for the front with Foam-Cell shocks. Your Endy already comes with gas shocks if I'm not mistaken (I could be) so no point in changing those for Ironman Nitro shocks as there won't be much gain for the $ spent. Their leafs have eased the pain that most Jeepers here feel when offload as it gives a much more settled ride, but the best combo is with the foam-cells. However we haven't had any long-term review of foam-cell shocks - long term issues are unknown, but their warranty is as good as their product name, I.e., iron-clad.

Endy sits pretty low for an SUV since it was originally a small pickup, you have a long way to go up before you will reach tipping point on that vehicle.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th October 2011 at 21:29.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 07:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Where I am right now a 2-inch lift with Foam-Cell shocks and steering damper will set you back by about Rs36-40k depending on the vehicle.

You're probably looking at stronger springs in the rear and a torsionbar for the front with Foam-Cell shocks. Your Endy already comes with gas shocks if I'm not mistaken (I could be) so no point in changing those for Ironman Nitro shocks as there won't be much gain for the $ spent.
Steeroid thank you so much for your input. How is the lift usually achieved in a lift kit? Isn't it by installing taller springs and shocks to match? Can the current shocks extend enough to cope with the extra 2 inches of travel?

If I can spend around 40k I would be ecstatic! 85k seems extremely steep indeed. It is all about gain got the $ for me so what mods would you suggest I get from the lift kit? I am getting the guy to email my details of the lift kit - exactly what components and such. Will post it here when I get it and then it would help you to help me out by identifying what I really need.

Also what is this you mention about foam cell shocks? Do you suggest getting foam cell shocks over nitro shocks that iron man currently offer? Or just using stock gas shocks?
Old 14th October 2011, 13:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also what is this you mention about foam cell shocks? Do you suggest getting foam cell shocks over nitro shocks that iron man currently offer? Or just using stock gas shocks?
Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Shock Absorbers
Old 14th October 2011, 15:45   #7
BHPian

Just spoke to Zac from ironman 4x4:

1. The kit actually costs 85,000. It is the most expensive kit because it requires the most parts. Second most expensive is the gypsy kit at 80,000. Comparatively the pajero, and land rover kits are less expensive - in the 55,000 to 60,000 range. He said he will waive off the installation charges for me though.

2. cannot use stock shocks as the lift comes as a kit and cannot be separated. Lift is 45 mm

3. lift is achieved by longer and stiffer springs/torsion bars in the front and larger leaf springs at the back with polyurethane bushes for a better ride. He said ride will become stiffer overall but handling will improve drastically due to less roll, and pitch. There will also be less bouncing up and down on undulations on the road.

4. Spacer Lift NOT possible for Endeavour - according to him. He said no space and something about torsion bars.

5. Warranty is the standard ironman 40,000 km / 2 years warranty. He even said that he will offer me 1 hour after fitting to decide whether I still want it or not.

6. They are also offering underbody protection that does not need to be removed to change oil, etc, for 25,000. Thinking of getting that too If I decided to get the lift.

Prices are definitely steep but since I'm here for another 2 years and going to visit even after that I think it might still be worth it. Hoping to join the Bangalore OTR in January with this lift and underbody protection installed.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Just spoke to Zac from ironman 4x4:

4. Spacer Lift NOT possible for Endeavour - according to him. He said no space and something about torsion bars.
Is a spacer lift different from a body lift? Because I know a body lift is possible on the Endy, I've seen a few on this forum itself-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...untry-yup.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...try-yup-3.html
Old 14th October 2011, 17:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz

Is a spacer lift different from a body lift? Because I know a body lift is possible on the Endy, I've seen a few on this forum itself-
A body lift does not lift the chassis off the ground, it lifts the body off the chassis. Body lifts are done in order to accommodate bigger tyres. So a body lift by itself will not increase ground clearance. It allows you to to fit larger tires which would increase the ground clearance.

A spacer lift is the fitting of spacers inside the suspension to push the spring further down. The drawback of doing that is that it reduces spring travel and also increases the stiffness.

Body spacers are put in for the sole purpose of being able to fit larger tyres and are relatively cheap.

Spacers in the suspension provide a limited lift (not more than 2 inches usually), are relatively cheap and are done for both fitting larger tyres and to increase GC.

Suspension lifts basically involve putting in brand new suspension and therefore are much more expensive. They also work much better as they dont sacrifice on travel etc and are a complete package (involves more than just changing spring and shocks).

This is just the knowledge I have gained researching suspension / body lifts recently as I'm thinking of getting one. Hope it helped clear things up

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 14th October 2011 at 17:20.
Old 14th October 2011, 17:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

I think, if the rear diff is the lowest point in the vehicle, no amount of body/suspension lift will increase GC.
You can increase everything by 200 inches, but your GC will remain the same.
Unless you fit in bigger tires after the lift, you will not get increase in GC, though angle of approach and departure will be better.
Since diffs are usually tough, lifting will improve offroad characteristics. , but to get max benefit, bigger tires are needed. So do factor in that expense too!
Old 14th October 2011, 17:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I think, if the rear diff is the lowest point in the vehicle, no amount of body/suspension lift will increase GC.
You can increase everything by 200 inches, but your GC will remain the same.
Unless you fit in bigger tires after the lift, you will not get increase in GC, though angle of approach and departure will be better.
Since diffs are usually tough, lifting will improve offroad characteristics. , but to get max benefit, bigger tires are needed. So do factor in that expense too!
Yup you are definitely right about that. What I meant by "ground clearance" really is just the height of the chassis off the ground. Raising suspension will improve my ADR angles a lot. Scraping diffs is not really much of a problem unless I decide to go over some serious rocks and stuff. Just got myself brand new Grolandar AT tyres so not getting new tyres for a while. For now this should suffice.

Also I am thinking of getting the underbody protection from ironman along with the lift kit to make it more of a complete package. Man I just can't stop spending on my car!!!
Old 14th October 2011, 18:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

I got the Ironman lift kit in my Pajero. The ride quality & handling improves for sure, but the "lift" really does not show at all. So if you are doing it to improve ride & handling - go right ahead, but if you doing it for a real "lift" it is pointless.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 18:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63
So if you are doing it to improve ride & handling - go right ahead, but if you doing it for a real "lift" it is pointless.

Cheers
Have you actually measured the height difference before and after? That is quite disappointing news though. Weird, I've never heard of a lift kit not actually lifting. I read some reviews and they say that the lift is actually a little more than advertised.

The kit for the Endeavour is very different though. Shocks will likely be the same but the rest is quite different. So lets hope I actually get a lift. He has at least offered to install the components and then see if I like it on not. If I'm not happy then I won't get it.

Thanks for this feedback though Ricky, really appreciate it. I will now make sure to measure the wheel arch height before and after.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 14th October 2011 at 18:18.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you actually measured the height difference before and after? That is quite disappointing news though. Weird, I've never heard of a lift kit not actually lifting. I read some reviews and they say that the lift is actually a little more than advertised.

The kit for the Endeavour is very different though. Shocks will likely be the same but the rest is quite different. So lets hope I actually get a lift. He has at least offered to install the components and then see if I like it on not. If I'm not happy then I won't get it.

Thanks for this feedback though Ricky, really appreciate it. I will now make sure to measure the wheel arch height before and after.

There are pictures I have posted on my Pajero thread. So see for yourself. The other thing is that my Pajero was fairly new, so the stock suspension was in perfect nick, as in it had "not sat down" at all.

I did measure the before & after, there was a difference of about an inch or so, but no one would notice unless you literally make them measure the wheel arches against a stock vehicle...

But the ride is great. I do not mean to dissuade you from buying it, it is a great product, but just wanted to tell you the reality about the visual aspect of it.

Cheers
Old 15th October 2011, 05:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63

There are pictures I have posted on my Pajero thread. So see for yourself.
Cheers
Thanks Ricky, will check them out.

Here is the list of parts that go into the lift:

This suspension will provide a 2 inch lift also.

1. Front and rear nitro-gas charged comfort shock absorbers(TOTAL 4NO). @ RS 21,000/-- (NOT INCLUSIVE OF LOCAL VAT)
2. FRONT UPRATED TORSION BARS (2NO). @ RS 16000/-- (NOT INCLUSIVE OF LOCAL VAT)
3. REAR UPRATED LEAF SPRINGS (2NO). @ RS 24000/-- (NOT INCLUSIVE OF LOCAL VAT)
4. REAR U-BOLT KIT @ RS 3000/-- (NOT INCLUSIVE OF LOCAL VAT)
5. POLYURETHANE SPRING BUSHS COMPLETE SET @ RS 4700/--(NOT INCLUSIVE OF LOCAL VAT)
6. GREASE-ABLE SHACKLES COMPLETE SET @ RS 6500/-- (NOT INCLUSIVE OF LOCAL VAT)
GRAND TOTAL = RS 75,200 + RS 10,528(14% VAT) =RS 85,728/--

This price is subject to current availability.
Install charges are extra. *
Install time required is 2 full working days.
Freight charges are extra and as per actual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks