Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 10:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Borg Warner Transfer Case Information for Safari/Scorpio/Thar

Hi Friends,

Since many us who own Safari 4WD, Scorpio 4WD, & Thar 4WD, I wanted to put up a technical thread on maintenance of the BW Transfer Case.

First topic is on the Transfer Case Oil Change for the BW transfer case.

When my scorpio went in for the 40K service, the T-case oil had to be changed. Since the dealership did not have the required oil, they said they would order it. After a few weeks, I got a call saying that the oil has arrived. So I send my scorpio to the dealer for the 45K service and asked them to change the Transfer case fluid. Since, they had not done this before, I insisted that it be done by a Senior Mechanic in my presence.

They called me in the afternoon to say that they were going to change the T-case fluid, so I went over to the workship. The chief mechanic told me that the parts department had given him Automatic Transmission Fluid and since he had not done a T-case oil change before, he wasn't sure if that was the correct oil to use. So basically, my vehicle was on the ramp with the T-case oil drained out and a head mechanic who is not sure if he should pour ATF into the Transfer case.

I went under the Scorpio and on the Transfer case fill/level hole it was written "ATF Level" and on the manual the grade of oil specified is Dexron IID which is basically ATF specifications. So I made a few frantic calls to Berhram/Spike and a few others and got the number of Mr. Gajanan who works for Borg Warner. He told me that BW takes the 1.2 liters of ATF so we poured in the ATF and the work was done.

I am almost certain that few dealerships would have changed the T-case oil for Borg Warner T-case, hence let me give you some information on it.

According to the Scorpio service booklet, following oils can be used:

1) Castrol - Protector Series TQD
2) BPCL - MAK Autron IID
3) IOC - Servo Transdex II

Basically this is Automatic Transmission Fluid with Dexron IID specification. This specification was developed over 25 years ago and since then the world has moved on to Dexron IV and newer. But nevertheless ATF fluid with Dexron II or Dexron III will suffice for your Transfer case.

In case of Scorpio, you cans ask them to pour in the AT Fluid used in the Scorpio AT 2WD/4WD.

Procedure to change the T-case fluid:

1) Under the Transfer case you will see a plate with a big cirular rubber piece. You need to remove that plate to see the drain plug.

2) Open the drain plug and drain out the T-case oil. Close back drain plug.

3) The filler plug will be to the top left of the drain plug. Right next to the filler/level plug opening it will be etched "ATF Level" on the T-case body. Open the filler plug and pour in ATF until it starts to overflow from the filler plug. The T-case takes in 1.2 liters of the ATF.

The procedure should be the same for Safari & Thar as they share the same T-case.
4x4addict is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 10:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Borg Warner Transfer Case Information for Safari/Scorpio/Thar

4X4Addict,

This is useful info and thread. Does it require ATF because of the chain driven mechanism in the BW transfer case?
Regards,
Old 19th October 2011, 11:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

the BW recommends following oils.
  • ATF Castrol - TQ, IOC-A
  • Servo Transfluid –A
  • Chemolium -A,
Checking Oil Level
  • Clean the oil level plug and surrounding area
  • Remove the oil level plug and check whether oil is dripping out
  • If oil is not dripping out, oil level must be below the required level. Add specified oil to bring it to the level when it starts dripping out
  • Tighten the oil level plug
Precautions
  • Before checking or removing the oil, warming up the transfer case is necessary. This should be done by driving the vehicle for some time
  • Do not use an impact wrench to open or tighten the drain and oil level plugs. This may damage the threads in the transfer case
Procedure
1. Changing Oil
2. Clean the oil level plug, drain plug and surrounding area
3. Place a container to collect oil, under the transfer case
4. Remove the drain plug
5. Remove the oil level plug
6. Let the oil drain out
7. Tighten the drain plug
8. Fill new oil through oil level plug, till it begins to drip out
9. Tighten the oil level plug
Check transfer case oil level,if required, top up - With alternate engine oil change or 8,000 km whichever occurs earlier.

Change transfer case oil with the specified lubricant - Yearly or after every 48,000 km whichever occurs earlier

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 18:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks 4X4 Addict and Jeepster for the detailed info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
This is useful info and thread. Does it require ATF because of the chain driven mechanism in the BW transfer case?
Fazal Saab, could you please elaborate on this.

Cheers
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 18:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ani,

I have not yet seen a BW transfer case opened up but heard that there is a chain driven mechanism in it.
Regards,
Old 20th October 2011, 19:23   #6
Zed
BHPian

BorgWarner has its own Chain division - BW MorseTEC. They make timing chains for diesels engines (most M&M engines), silent chains for gasoline engines ( kappa and K-series run with MorseTEC silent chains and so do some of the 150-180 cc bikes). MorseTEC also has a range of transmission chains in its portfolio but does not manufacture transmission chains in its Indian subsidiary based out of Chennai. Guess Divgi-Warner sources its transmission chains from MorseTEC US \ Europe \ Japan.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 19:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Thanks 4X4 Addict and Jeepster for the detailed info.
you can thank by clicking THANKS TAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
I have not yet seen a BW transfer case opened up but heard that there is a chain driven mechanism in it.
yes it uses chain to transfer power to front shafts.

here is a sample pic's.
(note: these pic's are not of Thar/Scorpio/Bolero/Armada/Safari/Sumo/Xenon/207 TC)
Borg Warner Transfer Case Information for Safari/Scorpio/Thar-dsc00006.jpg

Borg Warner Transfer Case Information for Safari/Scorpio/Thar-20080328010nh3.jpg

Borg Warner Transfer Case Information for Safari/Scorpio/Thar-20080328015go7.jpg

source:
RangeRovers.net • View topic - Replaced transfer case chain with many pix
Borg Warner transfer case pics - Australian Land Rover Owners

Last edited by jeepster : 20th October 2011 at 19:52. Reason: added some pics & their source
jeepster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 20:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Anyone have any ideas as to why ATF?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st October 2011, 21:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

the BW TC's are designed for more RPM with aluminum case & small alloy internal parts.

thus needs ATF for better lubrication.

BTW this is IMO only.

Last edited by jeepster : 21st October 2011 at 21:26.
Old 15th November 2022, 22:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Anyone have any ideas as to why ATF?

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
the BW TC's are designed for more RPM with aluminum case & small alloy internal parts.

thus needs ATF for better lubrication.

BTW this is IMO only.
The Peugeots were high-revving and used both the BW with ATF (in the Armada) and the Dana-Spicer with gear lube (in everything else), so...

ATF was designed in the first place to be a thinner viscosity lube that could flow well through small passages in valve bodies, etc.

I read in a couple places that at least some BW cases use a small internal oil pump for lubrication. If so it's not likely that standard gear lube would be overly thick for that.

And as most of these TC's can be considered as occasional/ intermittent use, they're not heating up so much, are in direct-drive (2wd) mode most of the time with very little going on mechanically, and probably don't benefit from the thicker lube and a lot of the additives (incl. friction-reducing, for the sake of the gears) used in GL-4 / GL-5 lubes.

There is the added issue on the electro-shift BW versions of the need for smooth and complete engagements / disengagements without overstressing the actuator motor over a wide range of temps, and it's possible the ATF's additives are better suited to that in some way.

Up here I think local mechanics don't know the spec and just put gear lube in them. I think the Marshal has gear lube in its BW case now because I kinda forgot about the ATF spec, no issues as yet but should probably change it back.

Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 22:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

ATF was designed in the first place to be a thinner viscosity lube that could flow well through small passages in valve bodies, etc.

I read in a couple places that at least some BW cases use a small internal oil pump for lubrication. If so it's not likely that standard gear lube would be overly thick for that.
I see ATF being used in power steering reservoir as well, the specs seems to match. Is it a correct practice? (FNGs)
Old 16th November 2022, 05:33   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I see ATF being used in power steering reservoir as well, the specs seems to match. Is it a correct practice? (FNGs)
Many a time yes, the specifications and ratings of certain ATF’s and power steering fluids are the same and hence it is true that those matching grades of ATF can be used for the power steering reservoir. Indeed it is also true that some automotive fora and Youtube mechanics see no harm in it and actually suggest it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 23:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Afaik it's generally fine to do so.

In some older American cars the ATF specification was (supposedly) significantly different between Ford and GM, I think I heard the former had more friction modifiers for the clutches.

Not sure, but I suspect PS systems can work ok with a wider range of specs. Will check with a friend who's more of an expert in this (former tech head in steering component remanufacture) and retract what I've suggested if he states otherwise.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed