Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2012, 13:20   #1

Disaster Tube in a Gypsy

One of the things I enjoy doing is go on long drives or go drive into the forests, estates or through the rough roads.I have found the Gypsy to be an ideal companion for that.I have known and understood the strengths and weaknesses of this wonderful machine.I have known about the Broken axles, bent diff tubes and springs etc...But this one is new to me in a Gypsy.Was in the middle of the forest patch where there were mud roads...Felt the steering control a little bit different..Got down to inspect...Nothing.Continued to drive for another half a km the same way averaging a speed of 5 kms an hour.Decided to turn back and did a U turn...I heard something snap and grate and the left side went down.The next pictures are self explanatory.A 5 km walk back to the civilization and I have a spare diff and a spare Gypsy.Went back swapped the diffs and returned home...Was just lucky that it happened at that speed.Dread to think if it were to happen at fast speeds.Just curious to know if anyone has heard/faced this issue in the Gypsy/Samurai/SJ 413.
Attached Thumbnails
Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-001.jpg  

Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-002.jpg  

Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-003.jpg  

Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-004.jpg  

Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-005.jpg  

Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-006.jpg  

Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-007.jpg  

bishancm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 11:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Disaster Tube in a Gypsy

Doc, this is the first time I have seen a diff tube break in such a fashion. Looks like the someone sawed it into two! Good that this happened at slow speeds -- else this would have resulted in severe loss of control on the vehicle.

After checking, do you see any other damage? Are the birfield joints/axles ok? If yes, then this seems to be a failure of the diff tube only.

Will let others pitch in and see what hey have to say
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 12:29   #3

Hi Bishancm,
i had similar ( way back in 2009 ) problem on my gypsy MG410W, i was lucky too , just took her to my office basement parking and heard a thud sound and when got down to see, i saw the oil spill and left front wheel detached. The MASS guys had no clue on how this could have happened, ordered for a new part ( for which i struggled for 1 month by receiving wrong part ) and eventually closed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Disaster Tube in a Gypsy-dscn0929b.jpg  

Gypsy_roadies is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 12:20   #4
BHPian

i had almost similar incident where the left rear axile came out from the diff tube while on a high way at a speed of 80km+,the axile slipped out from the sleeve and the wheel was out.The same happend once again,this time right side rear and finally i had to welde the sleeve with the axile.i was told this is the only weak link in a gypsy!
Rajachu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 13:49   #5
BHPian

OMG! Thats pretty scarey... Imagine this happening on High speeds, But you are indeed lucky you weren't fast. This would have been a recipe for disaster.

I once faced a very awkward moment too and boy was that scarey. Was driving my jeep on the Ghats when suddenly I heard a THUD and the rear left side of the jeep was on the ground.. I looked too my left and saw my left wheel running ahead of me, and on to the traffic. But luckily the guy coming from the opposite slowed down. All The nuts of that wheel had come loose. I later replaced on the nuts and bolts on the wheels and since then no problem! I do smile about it sometimes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks