Team-BHP - LHS mirror on Gypsy - Why so complicated?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   LHS mirror on Gypsy - Why so complicated? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/131534-lhs-mirror-gypsy-why-so-complicated.html)

Greetings
Its two years now and I have yet to add an LHS mirror on my 2010 model Gypsy. Everytime I ask at a MASS (during each servicing) I get such unenthusiastic responses, I fail to understand why this should be so.
The first time around I was told drilling the door panel requires a pneumatic drill with high rpm and the MASS did not have it. The last time I asked I was told a square patch would have to be cut, a piece of metal welded and the whole door would require finishing. And the factory default nut size 8 was not available in market (used on RHS mirror) and he would use size 10 for the LHS.

Guys can you please advise where I can get this done with minimal fuss and cost? Is it really so complicated? I have enquired at Bimal old Airport, W.Field, Suraksha and the MASS at Banaswadi IOC pump.

I plan to put Omni mirrors as I find the Bolero mirrors too large from the aesthetics point of view. Ideally I want those large mirrors on a rod but They are not available anywhere.

Lastly can somebody detail how much body work is really required for a job like this?

Thanks
--Ragul

Hi Ragul,

Basically the MASS is feeding you a lot of BS, so tell them to get lost and take things in your hands.

I don't think there is a stock left hand side ORVM available from Maruti (three bolt pattern).

Both Omni & Bolero use the same bolt pattern (2 hole) and will not match the existing holes of Gypsy. Though Omni & Bolero mirrors are interchangeable. New holes will need to be drilled.

You need to drill new set of holes on either side (drill a tad above the existing holes so that the mirror base plate can hide existing holes). Now open the internal door pads and roll up the windows and hold the nuts from inside while tightening the bolts from outside. It is a very tight space and small hands help here. Use spring washers so that they do not work themselves loose with vibrations.

Only issue with the above install is that every-time you need to change the mirrors you need to open the door pads as well. But than one doesn't changes mirror that often anyways.

You just need a drill, spanner and a friend and it can be done in 30mins. DIY. You can check my Gypsy thread, I have bolero mirrors on mine.

cheers
vishwas

Bolero Mirrors. Costs around 400 bucks if i remember correctly. Would need to drill holes. Any mechanic can get it done. I had got the same done on my previous gypsy in 10 mins.

The ones with the rod which i like to call 'elephant ears' are also available in black and chrome for around 500 bucks, but several gurus had advised me against it as it causes a major blindspot hence i did not bother to try those. I know it does look good though. :)

But how did you manage to drive without a left ORVM till now? I am handicapped without my ORVMs, especially in a gypsy.

Drilling holes into the door !! Wouldn't that make it more vulnerable to rust?

How about spray painting the new hole before installing the mirrors? Am a novice in this department and so, had this suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 3023943)
But how did you manage to drive without a left ORVM till now? I am handicapped without my ORVMs, especially in a gypsy.

No problem so far. I look in the rear view mirror then the left plastic rear side window and count to three before steering left. The only time I had a chance of a brush was when I forgot to count. I think most people get cautious too when they see a soft top gypsy with no clear visibility and no LHS mirror. The safest approach is to avoid a sudden left when in doubt and anticipate a left steer early
--R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 3024165)

No problem so far. I look in the rear view mirror then the left plastic rear side window and count to three before steering left. The only time I had a chance of a brush was when I forgot to count. I think most people get cautious too when they see a soft top gypsy with no clear visibility and no LHS mirror. The safest approach is to avoid a sudden left when in doubt and anticipate a left steer early
--R

Still get a Orvm installed at the earliest.

Get it done outside ! Find a small garage that is adjancent to a shop that works on metal grilles & stuff. THey will know each other, and will be easy to go back & forth with measurements & cutting etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalBuff (Post 3023950)
Drilling holes into the door !! Wouldn't that make it more vulnerable to rust?

How about spray painting the new hole before installing the mirrors? Am a novice in this department and so, had this suggestion.

I think this is an important consideration. What kind of treatment should be given immediately after drilling the body? A simple spray of zinc/anti-rust will suffice?

The sheet meta on the door I guess is very thin. Will it deform if not done carefully?

--R

Get original Toyota qualis mirrors which are a great fit on the Gypsy. Excellent quality and they dont start wobbling like Mahindra's. They cost INR 650 each and are excellent value for money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satan (Post 3047991)
Get original Toyota qualis mirrors which are a great fit on the Gypsy. Excellent quality and they dont start wobbling like Mahindra's. They cost INR 650 each and are excellent value for money.

Hi Neville, Do you have those on your Gypsy? if yes, could share a pic please.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 3048177)
Hi Neville, Do you have those on your Gypsy? if yes, could share a pic please.

Thanks.

Hi Raj, yes have these on my gypsy since 2010. I dont have closeup pics handy but can share some generic pics of my Gypsy for you to get an idea. I think these are german made or atleast have a german sounding name :D.

I can click and post closeups if you want.

one more passenger side shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satan (Post 3048201)
one more passenger side shot.

Thanks Neville. These pics are sufficient enough to get an idea. My issue is that i am currently using the Bolero ones and they are stable and dont move around but i am not able to get a wide vision. So incase a bike is running parallel, i am unable to view it in this mirror unlike the same that can be done on other car mirrors.

Attaching a rough illustration. I generally keep my mirrors positioned to be able to see the rear part of the gypsy.

I know what you are saying and I face that exact problem in my Baleno. No issue with these though.

Ragul, you can get side mirrors which don't need any hole in the body. Take a printout of the image I'm pasting here and take that any large auto parts shop. They can easily get you this type. This is of course, if you like this design.

After covering more than 9000km, I can tell you that this mirror has very good coverage.

In fact, one of our mirror was broken and we managed to get a new set from Leh town easily.

LHS mirror on Gypsy - Why so complicated?-panamikway.jpg