Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 10:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

What wheels are best for offroading: Alloy or Steel?

Why switch from alloys to steel rims in an offroading vehicle? I would only go the other way. What is the advantage of steel rims over alloys?

Last edited by Samurai : 11th February 2013 at 20:53.
Old 9th February 2013, 09:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper

Dear Sharath - you will be surprised but most "available alloy" wheels are heavier than their corresponding steel wheels. They also have many "other surprises" including parent material homogenity.

Development process of an alloy wheel is a huge task with numerous DVPs (design validation plans) to be compiled and met.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 11:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sharath - you will be surprised but most "available alloy" wheels are heavier than their corresponding steel wheels. They also have many "other surprises" including parent material homogenity.

Development process of an alloy wheel is a huge task with numerous DVPs (design validation plans) to be compiled and met.
Behram, that didn't really answer any questions. When I say replace rims with alloys or vice versa, I mean within acceptable parameters. If you replace OE 4.5 inch rims rims with 8.5J alloys, I can imagine alloys being heavier.

In case of madhkris's Jeep, he has mounted 10.5 width tyres on 10J rims. Clearly, that is waaaay out of optimal range of 7.5J to 9J. That is his choice, I would pick 8J or 8.5J for 10.5 tyres, not more. But then I wouldn't even go higher than 235mm tyres on 7J or 7.5J on my Jeep.

But that is not my question. I have seen many people switch to alloys to steel rims these days. I want to know the reasons behind that. I know why I prefer alloy over steel. But I want to know what some others prefer steel rim over alloy.
Old 9th February 2013, 17:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Until and unless the Alloys are properly made of high grade material, the are more fragile than steel wheels. Hence can crack under OTR load.

Another problem with alloys is that in case they deform, it is difficult to repair and that makes them susceptible to air leaks.

Steel rims are more robust, malleable and can be repaired easily and can sustain OTR shocks better.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 18:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

Why assume alloy will be of bad quality and steel will be of superior quality?

Besides, most of us use tubeless tyres, aren't they better off on alloys than steel rims?
Old 11th February 2013, 19:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why assume alloy will be of bad quality and steel will be of superior quality?

Besides, most of us use tubeless tyres, aren't they better off on alloys than steel rims?
It is pretty easy to get good steel. With alloys you have to either source it or "brew" your own. Further Aluminum requires much better manufacturing techniques compared to steel. In short it is easy to get good steel but difficult to get a homogenous tough alloy for wheels.

The problem with tubeless tyres is they rely on the sealing between the tyre "lip" and the rim edge. Any deformation of the tyre rim and the air will leak out. With off road knocks the rims can easily get deformed, hence it is better to have tubed tyres for off road.

Most of the major 4x4 car manufacturers have steel rims as an option.
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/defender/explore/hard-top/ (choose the wheels option)

Old 11th February 2013, 20:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It is pretty easy to get good steel. With alloys you have to either source it or "brew" your own. Further Aluminum requires much better manufacturing techniques compared to steel. In short it is easy to get good steel but difficult to get a homogenous tough alloy for wheels.
Well, I am mostly on alloy wheel equipped cars since 15 years now. Never had a cracked alloy until today despite driving highspeed on bad roads very regularly. Similar experience from most friends too. My offroad alloy wheels are now over 4 years old, has only scratches from the offroading. Besides, our type of offroading happens in low speed.

Check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2103573

Also, the following benefits of alloys are well known in Team-BHP as evident from the above thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.neowheels.com/faqs.html
Advantages of alloy wheels are as follows:
• Superior heat dissipation characteristics than regular steel wheels, resulting into improved brake cooling, reduced brake fading and longer tyre life.
• Lighter than original steel wheels, resulting into improved fuel efficiency.
• Excellent Road handling and cornering ability.
• Rust-free, corrosion resistant and virtually maintenance free.
• Bolt-on fitting, No spacers / modifications required.
• Stunning looks.
• Excellent compatibility with Radial, Regular and Tubeless tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The problem with tubeless tyres is they rely on the sealing between the tyre "lip" and the rim edge. Any deformation of the tyre rim and the air will leak out. With off road knocks the rims can easily get deformed, hence it is better to have tubed tyres for off road.
That's the exact reason why I use alloys over steel. OE steel wheels bend lot easily compared to alloys. My F-I-L's car's steel wheels bent after falling into pothole at 10kmph, he right away switched to alloys.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th February 2013 at 20:53.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 11:37   #8
BHPian

Re: What wheels are best for offroading: Alloy or Steel?

I suppose it is about 'ease of repair' and cost. Steel rims are cheap, easy to repair. Alloys are costly in comparison, and once deformed, one needs fair bit of research to get them corrected.
Old 24th January 2022, 19:41   #9

Stock alloys Vs Offroad Steel Rims for Pajero SFX

I have recently bought a Mitsubishi Pajero SFX and i want to upgrade from stock alloys to off road steel rims. (Running on stock tyres 265/70 R15, will upgrade to 31X10.50 R15)

I am not into regular off roading but i do venture into rough roads. The Stock alloys are okay to look at and are not bad at all, but due to offset settings of steel rims they do enhance the look of the Pajero.

I know upgrading to steel rims further reduce the mileage due to its weight, maneuvering the vehicle is not that easy and it also hampers the suspension in long run, but most of the Pajero's, Thar's and Gypsy's are running on steel rims. I have discussed this with like minded people but most of them tell me to stay away due to the factors mentioned above.
So can anyone share their experience after upgrading to off-road steel rims? The only reason i want to upgrade is because of the bulging Tyre look.
Old 27th January 2022, 02:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Alloy nuts and even some lugs, can be hard to find and not all lug nuts will work across several different brands of wheels.

I go with steel wheels for their easy to find lugs and lug nuts along with ease of repair.

And that, dear friends, is more than I ever wanted to tell you about my nuts.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 13:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

There are a lot of cons mentioned above.

The one main pro which made me switch to steelies in my Paj (other than the offset issue) is the added weight.

I carry a lot of stuff on my roof rack and added weight towards the bottom on the vehicle by using heavy steel rims gives me an advantage by keeping weight as low as possible. Though, I've still managed to topple my vehicle

Also with vehicles with good articulation, a heavier wheel will pull the suspension down better and give better contact with the ground.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:18   #12

Finally i have updated to off road steel rims and 31X10.50 R15 AT Tyre's, always wanted to upgrade.

After upgrading this is my personal observation -

1) Vehicle looks smashing ;-) and is showstopper.
2) As steel rims are heavier so maneuvering the vehicle takes a bit of effort. At high speed its okay but at low speed you can feel the extra weight when you steer the vehicle.
3) The vehicle is grounded and stable and i can feel the sluggishness in performance.
4) Slow braking, takes more time to come to halt.
5) Less fuel economy.

These are just my observations and i am not complaining.

Pictures for Reference - What wheels are best for offroading: Alloy or Steel?-img_5093.jpg

What wheels are best for offroading: Alloy or Steel?-img_5097.jpg

What wheels are best for offroading: Alloy or Steel?-img_5106.jpg
oldskool_16 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks