Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 21:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep: Busted Radiator. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
by more volume, I simply meant a bigger radiator, which can hold more coolant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
General opinion is
More coolant in circulation = Better cooling
Suppose we increase the size of the header and bottom tanks only, everything else remaining the same. Exactly what effect will it have?

Quote:
So IMHO 4 core aluminum radiator with largest possible surface would be best pick.
Why not copper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Most of them run "oversize" radiators to hide up the overheating problems,
Where do the cores for these oversize radiators come from?

OT: Anyone remember the Fury. And why it did not ultimately come with a watercooled engine.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th April 2013, 21:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Suppose we increase the size of the header and bottom tanks only, everything else remaining the same. Exactly what effect will it have?
Umm.. well, I think, more coolant in circulation will not have much of an effect, unless there is a bigger option to cool it.

What I meant was, usually here, when we hunt for radiators in the market, bigger radiator = bigger size = bigger heat exchange area = better cooling.
Quote:
True, they are far from factory condition, and do they overheat?
Well, if they overheat, the BIG question is WHY? Like Arka asked, why do these XD3P's overheat when revved really hard? The only XD3P's I know that doesn't overheat is Bolero 2WD's (You know like Jeevan's), which I think is due to gearing?

Please can you enlighten why these engines overheat?
Quote:
When a 1.6 mm thick sheet metal bracket can meet my requirements, is it wise to go for a 3.2 mm thick one, just to be on the safer side ? That is my question.
Well, there is always an correct number/value in manufacturing, however, while building Jeeps, especially when it comes to the cooling system, I guess a little extra would be OK, considering the uncertainty of why and how this damn XD3P's overheat! Unless someone like you educates us!
Old 30th April 2013, 21:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

Where do the cores for these oversize radiators come from?
I have no idea where do they come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Please can you enlighten why these engines overheat? Unless someone like you educates us!
I have no idea man, I have only seen a few XD3P's (all of which never overheated). You all use it regularly, hence trying to find out the missing link for this overheating problem.

Spike
Old 5th May 2013, 13:09   #19
BHPian

Update:

Firstly, a HUGE thanks to all for helping out !

I went for the 'copper + more cores [ 4 ] + custom aftermarket radiator' option.
Got it made from Lawrence radiators - these guys are one of the best out there -
Features:
- 'Quad core' baby! woohoo! - this has one extra core
- Cross-flow (the original one was also cross-flow)
- 10 FPI (Fins per inch) - I learned that majority of the heat exchange happens at the fins
- Factory fabricated fan shroud - all I need to give them was the diameter of the fan + half an inch clearance, and the distance of fan from the radiator
- 9.0 psi rated cap, one spare
- spare drain cock

Fitment:
There was no massive drama in the fitment, as they had perfectly lined up the bottom mounting bolts when making the new one.

I was considering swapping out the water pump as well (thanks Spike for the part number) - but the old one was just fine.

We discovered that the right engine mount had broken , and this was also causing the engine fan to be off center. So we got that fitted right away as well.

Reports:
A/C switched off - 2:00 afternoon - Sion to Navi Mumbai bridge toll naka - needle does not cross 75
Next day,
A/C switched on - crawling stop-start traffic - (Mumbai was being paid a visit by some 'luminary') - temp needle did not cross 80

I am cautiously happy that this thing is getting the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep: Busted Radiator. Now what?-wp_000027.jpg  

Jeep: Busted Radiator. Now what?-wp_000030.jpg  

Jeep: Busted Radiator. Now what?-wp_000032.jpg  

Jeep: Busted Radiator. Now what?-wp_000038.jpg  

lugnut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 08:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Reports:
[/b][/u]A/C switched off - 2:00 afternoon - Sion to Navi Mumbai bridge toll naka - needle does not cross 75
Next day,
A/C switched on - crawling stop-start traffic - (Mumbai was being paid a visit by some 'luminary') - temp needle did not cross 80
Too low engine temp is also not good as a heated and lubricated engine lasts much longer.Make sure the thermostat is installed. Typically the radiator should read around 90 degree and coolant must be used to elevate the boiling point of water to ~110 degree plus - as you mentioned - pressure cap to elevate boiling point even further and not let any coolant leak away.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 21:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
True, they are far from factory condition, and do they overheat? Most of them run "oversize" radiators to hide up the overheating problems, I personally consider it as a workaround rather than a solution. Others may disagree, but I am trying to understand the rationale behind the "bigger is better" theory.

When a 1.6 mm thick sheet metal bracket can meet my requirements, is it wise to go for a 3.2 mm thick one, just to be on the safer side ? That is my question.

Spike
Would this have anything to do with the 'dress levels' ?
I understand these to mean the combination of aggregates for the target use-case of the engine.
For example : XD3Ps are used in Peugeot 505s and Caterpillar forklifts - so given that a sedan would most likely have different radiator airflow characteristics, than a forklift - would the radiator not be different ? Same goes with target workloads, neh?

I've yet to see a forklift do 30+ kph...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks