Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 09:00   #1
BANNED

Offroader's Response to Natural Disasters

Some Background.

# 1- An year ago this idea was floated on FB, people were asked to get listed to be called for help in emergencies.

# 2- In the light of recent events, one member of NIOC again asked this Q in a closed group.
copy pasting his OP for his exact words.

Quote:
Can NIOC raise a 4x4 volunteer group to help local admin/ army in disaster management in Uttarakhand? Put our training and skills to real time test? We could be useful..
Very good thinking I must say

#3- I was personally involved in such in my early years of Jeeping when my Dad was involved in social work & I was assisting him. Though I lacked the experience & knowledge of 4x4 operating (in every sense), I do have immense satisfaction for what I did.

Now looking back in reference to my own experience, I feel the community nowadays is far better equipped in terms of driving training, Vehicle preparation & overall equipment level we carry (Frankly, I lacked everything )

So why not do it ? Time to act IMO.

Pour your thoughts guys !

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 09:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Offroader's Response to Natural Disasters

I think it is pointless. I was stuck in Rudraprayag in 2011 when similar rainfall happened. The road was closed SHUT, or washed away. I am sorry but I don't think any offroader can do anything in a terrain where the road has fallen into the valley 300 meters below.

It is foolhardy to attempt to drive over a rock pile like this (it is scarier in person):

In the plains yes offroaders can help. NOT in rudraprayag. Hell one can't even reach some of the worst hit places by helicopter, forget jeeps!
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 09:32   #3
BANNED

re: Offroader's Response to Natural Disasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In the plains yes offroaders can help. NOT in rudraprayag. Hell one can't even reach some of the worst hit places by helicopter, forget jeeps!
I can Understand that,

Safety of the response/rescue team is the first thing to start with.

I am of-course talking about things in " CAN BE DONE " category

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 18:11   #4
BHPian

Re: Offroader's Response to Natural Disasters

Much appreciate this noble thought. I am with both of you if not an actual rescue mission. at least the 4X4 community can join hands with local authority or army infact and help them relocate RESCUED people from danger zones to safer ones.

Infact, 4x4 community's can also pitch-in to haul food supplies, medical equipments, medicine, clothing etc etc. (i know most of our 4x4 don't come with bigger luggage space). still something is better than nothing in my opinion.

At this time, i feel every helping hand counts and definitely makes a difference for both rescuer and rescued.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Along with this, I am thinking.. why not we (BHPians) contribute in terms of cash or any kind of support we can afford? Not all of us can help 4x4 way.

Probably any of the Mods or GTO can lead the cause and pass on the benefits to the needy.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think it is pointless. I was stuck in Rudraprayag in 2011 when similar rainfall happened. The road was closed SHUT, or washed away. I am sorry but I don't think any offroader can do anything in a terrain where the road has fallen into the valley 300 meters below.

It is foolhardy to attempt to drive over a rock pile like this (it is scarier in person):

Noble thought,but i agree with Hitanshu here,no 4X4 will be able to make it there as the roads have been completely washed off.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 20th June 2013 at 15:50.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Very noble thought.

I don't know about off-roading in particular, but what I have seen is that in times of emergencies, when things need to be done in a hurry, when lives are at stake, and there is little room for error, well-intentioned amateurs and onlookers more often than not become a hindrance rather than a help to the professionals (in this case, the army). The best thing we can do in such situations is stand well back and let them do their job.

I'm sure we can find several ways to help behind the scenes- serving food to rescued people, distributing medicines, raising money, etc. Something as simple as donating blood, while perhaps not as personally satisfying as wading into a disaster site and rescuing people, is no less significant and may actually be required more. I'm not sure the army will be keen on people trying to attempt the actual rescues and creating the possibility of them having to then rescue the 'would-be' rescuers!

Again, I plead ignorance on matters pertaining to off-road techniques and in no way am I doubting the off-road skill of any of our T-BHP drivers (I'm always amazed and awed at some of the off-road pics I see here!), but:

1. From whatever little I understand of off-roading (mostly gleaned from the posts here), isin't 'spotting' or 'recee' a best practice for safe off-roading? How will that happen in such an emergency situation and terrain?

2. No matter how well organized, such a 'non-professional' initiative will always attract some people who may really mean well, but whose enthusiasm exceeds their skill. Dangerous.

I hope not to offend anyone here or try and put down a noble idea.

Last edited by am1m : 20th June 2013 at 16:25.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 10:03   #8
BANNED

I can understand member's concern. Let me give a clue .

When such events (disasters) occurred, we used to connect to the then local political party workers & the NGOs (Lion's club etc ) acting in that area.These people gave the idea of local situation & also the immediate requirements.

Another way to connect, is the district collector office or the district police headquarters. Those offices will certainly welcome a helping hand (& they DO) & guide you for possible area of help.

Believe me in such case of disaster all govt agencies do work promptly & properly & they dont play their usual hanky panky.

All that is needed is young capable hands, ready for some personal discomfort & who are used to some field hard work .

Ohh come on , your tow strap can become a most wanted accessory in whole lot of a helping party (have personally experienced it). No other vehicles except army & fire tenders have them .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 21st June 2013 at 10:05.
Sudarshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 14:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Those wishing to help can donate money online (via Net Banking) to Prime Minister's National Relief Fund

https://pmnrf.gov.in/payform.php
Old 21st June 2013, 15:30   #10
BHPian

Hi,

We from Northern India Offroad Club are proud of NIOC flood relief team consisting of Sanchay Chaturvedi , Ajay Baisla ,Mayank Thakur, Jayant Chaturvedi who have reached Tehri and will help the civil administration ,Indian Army and other agencies. They are carrying jeep loads of food, medicines, clothes contributed by NIOC members for the disaster victims.

We have done it guys, and we believe in ACTION.

Cheers to Team NIOC..
willys MB is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:07   #11
BANNED

Well Done NIOC , you have shown the path.

I am currently thinking about listing of willing & able offroaders , primarily on district level . Will be easy to communicate/coordinate & will be easy to lend hand collectively even if required outside the district level.

Sudarshan.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:26   #12
BANNED

Ok , so here I am with a newly started group to connect on FB for people primarily in Pune district.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/381706408615709/

Please feel free to Join.

This will enable members to connect & share information.

The base of some kind is made, Interested people can also connect through BHP

at Here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post3157274

Sudarshan
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:07   #13
BHPian

I like the noble idea. This can be done to an extent, however with what we witnessed in Uttarakhand there is very limited scope. Ofcourse there are other ways we can extend our help. Some of them are mentioned here
http://explorex.in/blog/latest-blog/...ow-can-we-help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks