Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2017, 00:54   #1
BHPian

Driveshaft-mounted disc parking brake?

Hi Experts,
I am planning to set up a drive shaft disc parking brake for my MM540.If any of you have a prior experience in doing this or know about it, kindly share your experience or pointers. Thanks in advance have attached a sample image of the set up i am looking for.
Driveshaft-mounted disc parking brake?-driveshaft_ebrake1254291542.jpg
sijuko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 09:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Driveshaft-mounted disc parking brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijuko View Post
Hi Experts,
I am planning to set up a drive shaft disc parking brake for my MM540.If any of you have a prior experience in doing this or know about it, kindly share your experience or pointers. Thanks in advance have attached a sample image of the set up i am looking for.
I have a vague memory of our old Jeep, having the same set up. Wasnt very effective is what I know.

What went wrong with the original set up? In the rear drum?
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 12:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driveshaft-mounted disc parking brake?

My old CJ3B had come with such a system, though it was a drum set up. Works well since it kind of locks both the wheels together. Now the down side is if you cut vehicle axle or prop shaft, brake wont work

Are you looking at plonking a ready made kit or doing it up right from the scratch? And would you have access to good garage set up?
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

How bad is the MM540's original handbrake system?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 19:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Caliper source?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 21:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I have a vague memory of our old Jeep, having the same set up. Wasnt very effective is what I know.

What went wrong with the original set up? In the rear drum?
Hi Dhanush,
Thanks..
When I bought the jeep(8 years back) the original set up was not working..I only had the handbrake liver (under the dash) ,cable and disk type of thing (or a wheel) under the vehicle left.I guess what ever is required inside the back wheel drum is missing thus its not working.
If the drive shaft handbrake is not worth the money and effective..I am OK to set up the regular cable type handbrake.
Not sure if i can reuse the existing parts and additionally buy what ever is missing inside the back wheel?
Or is better to buy whole new handbrake set (Thar or bolero) with all the parts and fit it.Any idea which is more practical and less painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My old CJ3B had come with such a system, though it was a drum set up. Works well since it kind of locks both the wheels together. Now the down side is if you cut vehicle axle or prop shaft, brake wont work

Are you looking at plonking a ready made kit or doing it up right from the scratch? And would you have access to good garage set up?
Thanks Jaggu,

Good to know...I am ok with plonking a ready made kit if it can be sourced (Not necessarily disc,drum is fine too)..I can do it my self if its not too much of a trouble to fit else I can find some good garage and tell them the idea (don't have access to good garages but know some decent places whom i get my vehicle repair/service).

Yes I am aware that it wont work if I brake my axle/prop shaft .I don't do Off roading and use vehicle as my regular commute vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How bad is the MM540's original handbrake system?
It wasn't working at all (parts were missing)..Even if it is working I don't think it will be as effective compared to the new gen jeeps.It will be tough to engage the handbrake considering the location of the handbrake liver :(

Some old owners/mechanic's are under an opinion that handbrake for jeep's is useless :( they are saying people will forget to disengage and drive it,which is partially true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Caliper source?

Regards
Sutripta
Not yet reached that stage of looking for parts ...Still trying to finalise the design and approach.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by bblost : 7th September 2017 at 23:03.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Then my suggestion is to look at a normal cable operated hand brake set up at the rear wheels. Check with a Mahindra parts stockist and find which would be the closest matching set up, for the axle set up you have in your vehicle. Most of the new ones works decently if installed correct.

The disc kind of set up would be too much of modification hassles without any major outcome.
Jaggu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 19:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

When cars have rear disc brakes, normally a small drum is included (top hat design) to accommodate the parking brake. Food for thought.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks