Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 15:57   #1
BHPian

Active traction control vs Locking differential in offroad conditions

I've heard people say that Toyota Atrac is as good as a locker. But doesn't the Atrac, and other similar active traction solutions, suffer from a disadvantage that engine has to work against vehicle’s brakes, when traction control is activated, to overcome a low-traction situation? All that energy is lost as heat, which could’ve all been directed, with a locking differential, to the wheel, which still had traction.

Of course, with a locking differential, you’ll need stronger axle shafts, hubs, wheels that can carry all that torque alone, and also tires with stiffer sidewalls and grippier tread that can hold on the surface to be able to convert that power into motion. What the traction control solutions do is provide half the power (because half is lost overcoming braking force) that would’ve possible in a normal circumstance of both wheels of an axle having traction, rather than providing no usable power at all (as with open diff). A locker is still superior, in the sense that it channels all power to one axle shaft, hub and wheel. It is just that the components downstream of locker should be able to bear that torque.

Other advantage of Atrac would be that it does all of this without needing upgradation of driveline components.
Old 30th August 2019, 16:13   #2
KMT
BHPian

re: Active traction control vs Locking differential in offroad conditions

Traction control in offroad situations chews brakes, for full on offroad I reckon locking diffs are still the way to go.

Also, if it is a sedan with a generic 'program' the program may not be suited to the surface you are on gravel, sand, mud, ice etc.

Locking diffs are hard on the drivetrain/clutch and if you lock the front wheels the turning radius becomes very wide.

LSD is the current compromise.

In the near future, with EVs having motors at all ends I guess all these technologies will become redundant.
KMT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 16:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Technology can overcome to some extent the lack of adequate wheel articulation. However a locking diff will ensure that there is lesser chances of a slip and safer ride over the obstacle.

Whatever milliseconds they claim it will transfer the power over to the other side, there will be a muddy gradient that will make that millisecond count on its way up.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 17:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
I've heard people say that Toyota Atrac is as good as a locker.
This video of .Anshuman might throw some light on different traction control systems on SUVs in India.
sourabhzen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 21:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
I've heard people say that Toyota Atrac is as good as a locker. But doesn't the Atrac, and other similar active traction solutions, suffer from a disadvantage that engine has to work against vehicle’s brakes, when traction control is activated, to overcome a low-traction situation? All that energy is lost as heat, which could’ve all been directed, with a locking differential, to the wheel, which still had traction.

Of course, with a locking differential, you’ll need stronger axle shafts, hubs, wheels that can carry all that torque alone, and also tires with stiffer sidewalls and grippier tread that can hold on the surface to be able to convert that power into motion. What the traction control solutions do is provide half the power (because half is lost overcoming braking force) that would’ve possible in a normal circumstance of both wheels of an axle having traction, rather than providing no usable power at all (as with open diff). A locker is still superior, in the sense that it channels all power to one axle shaft, hub and wheel. It is just that the components downstream of locker should be able to bear that torque.

Other advantage of Atrac would be that it does all of this without needing upgradation of driveline components.
My guess is that the amount of force applied to brakes used by Toyota's Atrac system exists but is not all that great. You are going to creep out of a stuck situation at very low speed, maybe 5 km per hour tops, not 40-90km per hour. I would guess that Atrac turns off altogether at higher than crawling speeds, after all, at higher speeds you ain't stuck. Hence, not so much strain to brakes.

Similarly, you are going to use lockers at crawling speeds. You are not going to use a locker to blast thru a bog at any great speed. That would be a recipe for loss of control and disaster. Lockers and Atrac are for crawling slowly out of trouble, e.g. being stuck in the mud. Once they have done that, they serve no purpose. They are not meant for high speed use. Hence strain on hardware exists but is minimal.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Active traction control vs Locking differential in offroad conditions

In the new age 4x4 SUVs, active traction control the norm. I have seen systems tuned to perfection like the Toyota’s A-Trac, mediocre systems like on Renault Duster and Isuzu V-Cross(2.5 high variant), slightly worse than Mediocre systems like on Ford Endeavour.

Having spent a lot of time experimenting with these systems, I can confidently say, Differential locks are superior to traction control, if the driver knows what he is doing. But also there are risks involving damage to drivetrain system sometimes topples in offroading scenarios. Advanced driving skills will be required to efficiently utilise front locker.

A well-tuned TC system however is more user friendly for beginners and regular users. It’s cheaper for manufacturers to fit because it utilises the existing ESP/ABS hardware. TC systems are good for crawling but at places where some speed is to be carried like in rutted sandy climbs it just can’t match the Diff locks, same for places like Mud where a lot of wheel spin and continuous uninterrupted power is to be put down.

The best combo however for me would be a factory fitted rear diff lock with a well-tuned Traction control system. But almost all such combos I have seen TCS is switched off as soon as you turn on the diff lock. But if you are stuck in a scenario where only one front wheel has grip, just turn off the diff lock, used the active TC mode to get the car moving.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

As an end-user, electronic gizmos like the traction control works better than diff-locks, because of convenience. If you focus on only getting out of an obstacle, maybe diff-locks are better, but, if you take the whole picture..

Like why would you attempt that obstacle? Usually, in cars with traction control, it is to reach a specific destination and not to have fun tackling that obstacle. In that case, I'd choose traction control, since it does all the work for me even before getting stuck. I dont need to engage diff-locks when I sense a loss in traction and no need to be careful enough to disengage it as to not damage the drivetrain.

That said, what's better in tackling obstacles? Diff-Locks. However, in a road use (luxury) cars, traction control makes more sense, since diff-locks need educated user input.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 15:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

We offroad a lot with SUVs as well. There are a few guys with the Toyotas and few with the endys. The Toyota has ATRAC and the Ford has the Diff Locks.

The Toyota guys are always at an advantage because they don't need to remember to switch on the Diff Locks. As soon as the they are struggling, the ATRAC kicks in and they are out. The Endy guys on the other hand keep paging me if a certain obstacle requires them to engage the DL or not.

And I agree with Dan the Dirty one that the hardware damage is negligible.

For a newbie to average off-roader, the ATRAC is the best option out there in my opinion.

EDIT:

@anshuman Traction control and ATRAC in the Toyota SUVS are slightly different. I can switch off TC but not ATRAC. And as always, in offroad I prefer TC off!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th October 2019 at 15:03. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 19:54   #9
BHPian

A fantastic demonstration of how A-Trac system works in Toyota. Can someone enlighten me whether Toyota's A-trac is same as Suzuki's BLD in Jimny(brake locking differential)?

Last edited by varunswnt : 26th December 2023 at 20:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks