Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:36   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Mechanical upgrades for Indian vehicles for enhanced offroad performance

Albeit at a nascent stage the 4x4 industry is hotting up and in the years to come we should see it gain a viable commercial status within the Indian automotive scene. Eventually the industry would be organised enough for people to walk into a store and kit their car up to whatever spec they desire.

Until then enthusiasts have to do a lot of research to find suitable components to upgrade their vehicles and improve offroad performance. Not to mention the effort in finding suppliers, import duties, and eventually workshops capable of doing the upgrades

The thread is to primarily focus on vehicles commercially sold in India so that any enthusiast can access these vehicles and embark on a well chalked out upgrade program.

From the Mahindra range lets cover the Major, the Bolero and the Scorpio

From the Tata stable the Sumo, the Safari

From Suzuki we have the Gypsy.

Add on any vehicle you would feel is worthy of being upgraded into a practical affordable offroader.

The upgrades could range from tyres, difflocks, transfer gearboxes, high lift suspensions and so on

The information we need to compile is the make and model of the upgrade, the price, the source, any relevant details as regards import and eventually install.

We've seen some great tyres from Maxxis, the Lockright for Shahnawaz's Gypsy, the LSD on Arka's Jeep and so on. Lets now use this thread to document it all for all types of vehicals sold in India

Would request people who have carried out upgrades share the details here so that others can do the same for their cars. Your feedback would be invaluable to, both pros and cons

Shahnawaz could I request you to list out the model years your diff lock is applicable to, its model number, price, source, import aspects and eventually info on where you did the install. Hopefully others will pitch in too with their info

Last edited by DKG : 23rd August 2008 at 10:42.
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

You missed the gama [not the gurkha as it is not affordable ] range.These would require a bit of work to make them.And the Tata TL, it's got the 4x4 gear box with LSD but need work on the weight distribution, to make it a good offroader.
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:30   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps we could list the brand and specs of differentials in these cars and the optional upgrades to LSD or diff lock.

For example I know that the Tata 207 rear diff is a Dana 44. I don't know how many splines and what difflock I could order for it. I understand the diff ratio also is considered when choosing which difflock to install

That way we need to cover all the Mahindra's, Force, Suzuki and Tata products.

Dinar as you point out for the TL we need to identify the LSD part number so someone who has a Tata Sumo could order that for his car.

Likewise for the Mahindra Major which can be purchased new with 4x4 what are the diffs used and what difflocks or LSD units can be installed?

Last edited by DKG : 23rd August 2008 at 11:36.
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Likewise for the Mahindra Major which can be purchased new with 4x4 what are the diffs used and what difflocks or LSD units can be installed?
Hi DKG,

Nice that you have started this thread. can act as online guide to offroad enthusiasts for moding their 4X4's to perfect offroader.
How is the offroad performance of the Major. I think it has lots of potential as its the cheapest 4WD jeep available in the market. I googled for the Major, but I couldnt find the review on offroad performance of it. Only in team-bhp forum (Major 4X4) there is mention of it but again no offroading

Also, I think it will be nice if you can add the links to khan_sultan's Gypsy_Locker thread along with other shops & accessories link for 4X4 available in India.

Regards,
OM
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Will find out, if the *** here knows about it, it's the same as in the Safari, I know that as I had a nice big talk with a TATA engineer, when they brought down a new demo TL to goa. Now they are scared of me, But will still try.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Gypsy -- Lockers

The Lockers I have put are:

Part #
"LockRight Automatic Positive Locking Differential" Part #LR1530 and will work fine with MG410W and MG413W.

The LR1530 comes with a 'coupler' that is used instead of the existing stock 'side gear'. I would suggest and recommend that please use 1530. Don't try and use your existing side gear.

NOTE: part# LR1510 DOES NOT come with a coupler. Also the shape of the parts are different as 1510 has a slant. 1510 will work ONLY if your side gear is just like new (which most probably it won't be.) Slightest of wear and the locker with side gears will not work effectively.

Cost:
It is available online in US for USD 250 - USD 325. Try to see where you can get it cheapest online. Search for 'lockright lockers'

Shipment:
The package weight is approx 3-3.5 Kgs. So shipping can take a lot of money. budget approx USD100- USD150 for shipping to India.

Custom Duty:
If getting it though UPS/Courier, there are very slim chances of NOT paying duty. Budget for ~50% of the cost (part cost + shipping cost) as custom duty.

Installation:
I got it done from 'Suraksha M.A.S.S' at Bomanahalli Bangalore. Installation is straightforward and no rocket science. In my opinion get it done from a GOOD maurti service station as they would know how to open/assemble the differential. Suraksha are very good and professional at what they do. would recommend them any day for this.

PS: I got the locker from India through a person who put me in touch with a person who had the locker but for some reasons would not have installed it. The person has expressed his wish to not name him so will refrain from doing so. I respect his choice but would like to acknowledge his kindness for putting me in touch with that person.

Cheers,
Old 25th August 2008, 14:25   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Shahnawaz, you have a great spirit!!
Old 25th August 2008, 19:22   #8
BHPian

Here are a couple of things that a lot of people here already have, but which some of us want to source:

1. A good electric winch 6500lb plus
2. Winch bumper.
3. Tow chain/hooks
4. Sand mats (these can be fabricated though)
5. Lockable differential or at least LSD (we've got the info for the Gypsy, thanks to Khan... need info for other 4x4s - Maybe we can have a list that outlines existing diff - number of splines and final drive ratio and likely upgrades).
6. Snow chains
7. Sump guard, differential guard, gearbox guard (these too can be fabricated)

Thanks,
Old 25th August 2008, 22:34   #9
BHPian

my 2 eurocent...

Hi all,

if the Safaris and TL in India are the same as we have here, the rear differential is Dana 44 and front is a Dana 30, hence any aftermarket accessory for those diff. will work.
My TL has a 4.56 ratio (not 100%, but easy to check) and 30 spline shafts, no C-clip type. It is an old version, so no LSD of any sort, but Safaris have it.
At the trophy 1 friend had the ECTED mounted, superb device, cost in Italy around €700, in the USA around $600. ARB is more dear but equally good.
The M&M sold in Italy has a Dana 44, exactly the same as Tata, I do not know about the front...
We have also kit for suspension, with new springs and high performance shock absorbers (springs not for TL, it has leaf). Body lift kit, air filter, brake hoses (aviation type), hi perf. rotors (not for ABS), exhaust and few other bits and pieces.
Let me know if you need anything!

Ciao

Ignazio
Old 26th August 2008, 10:42   #10
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ignazio

Chances are many of the components on the TL would be common to other vehicles in the Tata stable ie the Safari, the Sumo and the 207 pickup (for commercial use).

Would it be possible to list the part number on your car's diff? Its a Dana 44 as you mentioned. The splines were verified by you as 30? Would you know what diff lock will fit this differential? The reason why I ask is both the Sumo and the 207 pickup have this same differential. You mentioned Auburn Gear's ECTED. It suits the diff perfectly? I was looking at the same too but not sure if it matches. Could you possibly source the part number for your friend's diff so I can cross reference

For the other mods you mentioned could you kindly list the brands, model references, prices, and perhaps places one could order them from?

I realise I am asking for a lot of info, but since you've been using the Tata 4x4 you are probably our best bet on upgrade info

BTW I've written to the local Tata service manager to help in upgrading my 207 to a 4x4 system. Since the 207 and the TL seem to share the same frame this should be possible in my opinion
Thanks

Last edited by DKG : 26th August 2008 at 10:56.
Old 30th August 2008, 04:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ignazio

Chances are many of the components on the TL would be common to other vehicles in the Tata stable ie the Safari, the Sumo and the 207 pickup (for commercial use).

Would it be possible to list the part number on your car's diff? Its a Dana 44 as you mentioned. The splines were verified by you as 30? Would you know what diff lock will fit this differential? The reason why I ask is both the Sumo and the 207 pickup have this same differential. You mentioned Auburn Gear's ECTED. It suits the diff perfectly? I was looking at the same too but not sure if it matches. Could you possibly source the part number for your friend's diff so I can cross reference

For the other mods you mentioned could you kindly list the brands, model references, prices, and perhaps places one could order them from?

I realise I am asking for a lot of info, but since you've been using the Tata 4x4 you are probably our best bet on upgrade info

BTW I've written to the local Tata service manager to help in upgrading my 207 to a 4x4 system. Since the 207 and the TL seem to share the same frame this should be possible in my opinion
Thanks
Hi DKG,
just waiting my friend to reply my email, quite shure the diff is 30 spline. I will check precisely, I'm going to USA for a little holiday and I'm planning to buy it there, it is much cheaper than here in Europe. Been an USA product, found a price of $550!!!
For the rest of the parts I'm preparing a list... stay tuned!

Ciao ciao

Ignazio
Old 30th August 2008, 09:35   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Been an USA product, found a price of $550!!!
For the rest of the parts I'm preparing a list... stay tuned!
Is that for the Auburn Gear ECTED diff lock? Looking forward to all the upgrades

Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 09:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ignazio

Tata has a some many different vendor for same parts and them keep on updating the part every two year some diffs on different models may be different, [Indica alone has 6 different half shaft designs].

Thanks
The TL has LSD at the back only, the shop does not have the details of TL as they do not stock the parts [order only]. Will get the info by next week.Rough estimate of the LSD is 15-20 grand, confirmation of this next week along with the part number and other details.
Did they say the conversion to 4x4 is possible on 207 DI? the oil sump is larger than that on the TL [2.0L unit], also the front suspension is different. The rear diff on the 207DI is out of the 407 truck I think it is different.

Last edited by dinar : 30th August 2008 at 10:02.
Old 30th August 2008, 10:03   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Did they say the conversion to 4x4 is possible on 207 DI? the oil sump is larger than that on the TL [2.0L unit], also the front suspension is different. The rear diff on the 207DI is out of the 407 truck I think it is different.
The reason why I approached the Tata regional service head for the upgrade is Sumo with the 3 litre DI like the 207 is offered with 4x4. So I see a possibility of an upgrade.

The differential on the 207 is a Dana 44 also used on the Sumo. Isn't the 407 track bigger ? it could be a different assembly

Would appreciate the part numbers for the LSD unit.
Old 24th October 2008, 19:14   #15
BANNED

I never imagined I would carefully read almost all threads in the 4x4 section and then post in a modification thread.

What are the modifications recommended for a Safari DiCOR 3.0? Experts who have been with me on OTRs say - higher GC and A/T tyres. While the latter is easier to implement, I would like some guidance on the first. How does one go about acquiring higher GC on a Safari in India?

The running boards have to go to - but what are the alternatives to still allow elderly people to get in & out easily? Other than a stool in the boot?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks