Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 17:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Now, someone like me found a friend's MM540 steering extremely user friendly. It is unusually light for a vehicle like that. I really wonder if you need a PS on MM 5x0. Have you driven it personally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I second that. Unless there is a problem in the linkages steering isn't very heavy.
Guys, there is a whale of a difference between driving on smooth roads & the kind of pathways that DD is talking about. I feel he is totally justified, specially when Arka himself with his great busty shoulders has had enough of it.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th November 2008 at 17:13.
Old 6th November 2008, 17:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish_8086 View Post
hi DirtyDan,

I've done PS convertion to my MM540. Its working fine.
Can you provide some details. What type/ cost/ fitting etc etc.
Old 27th December 2008, 21:01   #18
BHPian

PS of a Car on Jeep

Hi Guys,

Just a question about Power Steering. Can I use the PS of a Car on Jeep?

Last day I had a problem with my Car's (Camry 2000) power steering. It was making a humming sound while turning left and right. I took the car to Hydraulic station and the mechanic told me the problem with PS Pump and suggest me either service it or buy another one. So we replaced it with an used one from another Camry. Cost only Saudi Riyal 65 (700 rupees).

Now the old one has got repired and with me. If I bring this to India can I use this one for jeep? Does it worth that much and what are the other parts except this pump (with 2 rubber rubes) for a total PS unit.

While removing the other pump, I noticed that it was fitted on the engine itself, while some jeeps has got fitted PS on the front bumper!

Expecting your feed back

sali.
Old 28th December 2008, 16:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
My impression from driving an MM540 for a few hundred kilometers is that while the steering is pretty light it is fairly imprecise but consistently so. I mean the steering turns more than the vehicle does. I think technically they call it understeering (please correct me if I am wrong). However, since it is consistently inconsistent (meaning it will behave similarly all the time, unlike in old ill maintained Ambassadors where you are never too sure how much turn in the steering translates into how much turn in the vehicle), you get used to the imprecise response pretty soon.
As per my knowledge, understeer and outsteer is the overall behavier of your vehicle on a sharp turn; what you are talking about is the steering turning ratio. I am also fed up with always turning the steering wheel so much and wanted to decrese the retio, I have a customized Power Steering so it is not so easy I guess.

Gurus, comments on this pls.
Old 29th December 2008, 16:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I live and drive in the Himalayas. The roads here, and the goat paths here, are full of switchbacks. Roads into the deep Himalayas are dangerously narrow and confronting trucks on the edges of steep drops is commonplace. Towns and market place roads here are often narrow and congested. Going with larger tyres, say 235/75/r15s or larger is likely. All this makes power steering highly desirable on any mm5** jeep. Since I am contemplating modding an mm550, I wish to add power steering. There is no room for error, here especially but on the flatlands as well.

I am wondering if anyone who has done it or tried it can tell me the "ins and outs" of it. They do this at Moga routinely. I do not know if they get good results on their "pimped out" stylized stuff. They install Pajero pumps with Toyota tilt steering columns, for example. I have no idea how they make the link to the wheels.

Please do not reply that I do not need PS. I want it. That is enough. This is an inquiry on how to get it done safely and correctly.
Hi DirtyDan,

I have installed power steering on my MM540. And it is installed under the hood. From outside you cannot make out the PS is available in this. For more details please let me know.

-Girish-
Old 29th December 2008, 17:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have installed power steering on my MM540. .... For more details please let me know
Would appreciate the details regarding the type, installation, cost etc.
-Best regards,
Old 29th December 2008, 18:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi DirtyDan,

I have installed power steering on my MM540. And it is installed under the hood. From outside you cannot make out the PS is available in this. For more details please let me know.

-Girish-
Please post the details with pics (if possible).

tks

sadiq
Old 29th December 2008, 19:50   #23
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi DirtyDan,

-Girish-
Hi Girish,

You know that this is a hot topic for 540/550 owners and you have managed to put one in without an external unit. After that you have just written a one line. Very bad. Please... please.. update us with details like name of the unit, prices and installation pictures. We are all very much interested.

Regards

FK
Old 30th December 2008, 18:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Hi Girish,

You know that this is a hot topic for 540/550 owners and you have managed to put one in without an external unit. After that you have just written a one line. Very bad. Please... please.. update us with details like name of the unit, prices and installation pictures. We are all very much interested.

Regards

FK

Hi all,

It is was great experience for me to install PS unit on my Jeep. It has a big story behind it.
To cut things in short:
Iam using this setup since from last one year, it is working fine without any problem. This is our own setup we did it and the installation is not done by any mechanic. Me and my Father-in-law has done this. We have done lot of R&D to make this kind of installation.

Below are PS details:

PS Unit name: Koyo Japan.
Cost: around 12k (because of the R&D)
Parts required:
1. Power Steering Box
2. Frame to hold PS steering Box. (Customised)
3. Pump
4. Reservoir
5. Pipes (Customised)
6. Belt
7. Nut n Bolts
8. tigh rod (Connecting rod)
9. I used Maruti Omni's steering rod. Since the nerlings fit with it.
10.Steering wheel ( I used short one)

Below are the pictures.

Pic 1. Outlook of the Jeep.
Pic 2. Internal view of Steering setup. (Since i used Omni's steering rod, steering lock is also available with car type key)
Pic 3. Internal setup of PS unit. Pump pully is visible below the airfilter. (near the right hand corner)
Pic 4. Same as pic 3.
Pic 5. Close view of steering box, fixed to customised frame directly to the steering rod, in-let and out-let pipes are connected.
Pic 6. PS arm connected to tigh rod which is slightly extended(connecting rod)
Pic 7. Tigh rod which is customised.

Let me know if further info required.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep-img_0116.jpg  

Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep-img_0166.jpg  

Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep-dscn4447.jpg  

Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep-dscn4439.jpg  

Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep-dscn4448.jpg  

Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep-dscn4443.jpg  

Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep-dscn4445.jpg  

girish_8086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2008, 19:09   #25
BANNED

P.S is an important addition to 550. I had a Gypsy with wide tyres & I did feel the need to install a P.S.
Once I bought a M&M Jeep from Dabwali & after using it for a while felt the steering heavy. A modifier there transplanted a P.S unit from Armada & charged ~ 10k. The P.S worked fine, but I sold the Jeep later due to other issues.
Old 30th December 2008, 20:24   #26
BHPian

Hi Gireesh,

Your jeep looks very nice after the paint work!

Thanks for the updates regarding the PS convertion. Now as per my knowledge, the main components required are as follows.

1. Power Steering Box
2. Pump
3. Reservoir
4. Pipes
5. Belt

And steering rod and wheel etc, we can use the exisiting one. Am I right? correct me if am wrong.

Is it a brand new or used one for 12K? From where do you bought it? I think Desert King has the same brand and it cost him only 5K.

tks/sali
Old 31st December 2008, 07:41   #27
BHPian

Koyo, Japan PS..

Quote:
Hi all,

Below are PS details:

PS Unit name: Koyo Japan.
Girish, my MM540 also has got a Koyo PS and I know it is a reliable one as I have drived my vehicle on some very tought tarrains where there were a lot's of strain on the wheel. You have done a great job as mine is too much visible. Can you please let me know how many turn you have to give to your steering wheel to move the wheel from one end to the other. I mean turn to the maximum left, now start moving the wheel to the fully right, how many turn of the wheel. If it takes less turns that mine that I would like to go for this change as I am not happy moving steering wheel so much always.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Can you please let me know how many turn you have to give to your steering wheel to move the wheel from one end to the other. I mean turn to the maximum left, now start moving the wheel to the fully right, how many turn of the wheel.
The standard term used is steering lock-to-lock.
Old 31st December 2008, 13:24   #29
BHPian

I think Pramod_Cochin has also installed a PS unit on his MM540. Let us hear his words too..
Pramod can you please tell us how do you intalled the PS unit in your jeep.

@ DesertKing, that Koyo PS unit is brand new or used one that you bought from Mayapuri?

tks/sadiq.

Last edited by Salikt : 31st December 2008 at 13:27.
Old 1st January 2009, 07:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The standard term used is steering lock-to-lock.
Thanks Samurai, sorry that I am from technical background but glad that I learning so many things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
@ DesertKing, that Koyo PS unit is brand new or used one that you bought from Mayapuri?
Salikt, you always have to remember that heardly any new stuff is being sold there in Mayapuri, even if you find something new, it is most likely not to be of good quality. Koyo PS is the used one and it is very important that the pump is in good condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks