Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 00:31   #1
BHPian

Polyurethane Body Bushing

Hello All,

Any of you have a first hand experience about this thing? It lasts 3 times more than the stock Rubber bushes and squeaking sound is supposed to be less. I am planning to import this for my 550, i just want to know how many body mounting bushes required for 550, so that i can order the appropriate kit. or can we use any alternatives (Qualis?) from local market instead of importing?

Thanks
Sree

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 6th February 2009 at 00:34.
Old 6th February 2009, 08:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I have heard & read only good things about these polyurethene bushing. Too bad that they are not available in India -- at least to my knowledge for the Gypsy.

I would suggest that you go for it and then post a review here :-)
Old 6th February 2009, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hello All,

Any of you have a first hand experience about this thing? It lasts 3 times more than the stock Rubber bushes and squeaking sound is supposed to be less. I am planning to import this for my 550, i just want to know how many body mounting bushes required for 550, so that i can order the appropriate kit. or can we use any alternatives (Qualis?) from local market instead of importing?

Thanks
Sree
I imagine Innova and Cheverolet and others use them, too. You might ask a taxi owner how they hold up. My guess is they last the life of the vehicle and he may not even know what you are talking about because he has never had trouble with them.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sreeraj,

The OEM M&M Body Bushings Last for atleast 10 Years.

I changed mine before the Munnar Event, while changing the body.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

They can be made very easily in India itself. In fact I know a couple of people who can do this.

I have custom made rubber engine mounts for my car. I am sure these things are pretty similar to the mounts. Can somebody post up a picture if you have it.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:43   #6
BANNED

Agree with Arka, the OEM rubber ones are good enough and well priced too.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
They can be made very easily in India itself. In fact I know a couple of people who can do this.

I have custom made rubber engine mounts for my car. I am sure these things are pretty similar to the mounts. Can somebody post up a picture if you have it.
yes i agree , but given the number of different shapes and sizes of these bushes for the various vehicles ,the costs involved in the tooling/moulds etc will not be justified due to low demand , guess thats why nobody is making them, or if there one size/type which is common to many vehicles then it can be made.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

My engine mount was made for Rs. 600 only and this included all tooling cost. But this was rubber. PU is available in plenty. You just need to make bushes out of them.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:06   #9
BANNED

Quote:
My engine mount was made for Rs. 600
OT: You have a thread on this for your Swift?
Old 6th February 2009, 13:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
My engine mount was made for Rs. 600 only and this included all tooling cost. But this was rubber. PU is available in plenty. You just need to make bushes out of them.
rs 600? unbelievable , this may not be including tooling , may be the guy who made it had a similiar size/shape tool/mould which he used with some adjustments.

i dont think its O.T , we are discussing PU mounts.

Last edited by siddartha : 6th February 2009 at 13:07.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:12   #11
rippergeo

There are polyurethane mounts available with Pete's for lots of road cars, but jeeps, I dont think so. Also, they cost a pretty penny

Old 6th February 2009, 13:12   #12
BHPian

Guys, can somebody please enlighten what is body bushing?
Old 6th February 2009, 13:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
OT: You have a thread on this for your Swift?
My only point is that they can be made here and for cheap. Using my swift as an example only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
rs 600? unbelievable , this may not be including tooling , may be the guy who made it had a similiar size/shape tool/mould which he used with some adjustments.
You don't need any special tooling for making a simple PU bush. Just buy the correct diameter PU rod and bore it out on a lathe.

You need tooling for mass production not for one of jobs. There are other ways of getting them done. Toolings are only used to make mass production easier.

I am attaching an image i found on the net if they look like this then they can be made for the price of peanuts. Source - 1981-91 - CHEVY SUBURBAN - BLACK - Body Bushing Kits - Chevy GMC Bushing Kits
Attached Thumbnails
Polyurethane Body Bushing-yhst40202664068518_2039_63931007.jpg  

Old 6th February 2009, 13:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
My only point is that they can be made here and for cheap. Using my swift as an example only.

You don't need any special tooling for making a simple PU bush. Just buy the correct diameter PU rod and bore it out on a lathe.

You need tooling for mass production not for one of jobs. There are other ways of getting them done. Toolings are only used to make mass production easier.

I am attaching an image i found on the net if they look like this then they can be made for the price of peanuts. Source - 1981-91 - CHEVY SUBURBAN - BLACK - Body Bushing Kits - Chevy GMC Bushing Kits
oh ok , i was talking abt PU moulding , then rs 600 is ok for a lathe job including material.i dint realise you were talking abt a taking a rod and turning and boring it to the reqd size.

Last edited by siddartha : 6th February 2009 at 13:21.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Even for moulding simple round bushes like the ones in the picture you don't need any special tools. Just two PU tubes (readily available) matching the correct diameters (inside & outside) is all you need.

For the steel insert bushes you just need the steel tube (preferably zinc coated) for the inner diameter and a PU tube for the outer diameter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks