Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:56   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The shackle is fully extended. It should follow the yellow line and come back as shown by red arrow.
Attachment 198856
sorry for going OT, but do we have a Nano parked in the b/g (in above post #92)?

BTW , If that brochure does not mention Mahindra jeeps does it mean its not fit/ manufactured for jeeps?

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 22nd October 2009 at 23:01.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:22   #107
Team-BHP Support

I do have one issue with the new composite fibre leafs. The shackle is holding the leaf rather too tight. This is because the OE shackle bush is exact width as the leaf end. Therefore, every time is I move from stationary position, I get a grinding sound. May be it makes the same sound during the ride, but it is hard to hear over the other Jeep sounds.

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-_b046207.jpg

The Mahindra workshop mechanic who diagnosed this problem suggested I put some rubber ring on both side. Is that the solution? Shouldn't I consider a wider shackle bush?
Old 4th November 2009, 13:56   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I do have one issue with the new composite fibre leafs. The shackle is holding the leaf rather too tight. This is because the OE shackle bush is exact width as the leaf end. Therefore, every time is I move from stationary position, I get a grinding sound. May be it makes the same sound during the ride, but it is hard to hear over the other Jeep sounds.

Attachment 221742

The Mahindra workshop mechanic who diagnosed this problem suggested I put some rubber ring on both side. Is that the solution? Shouldn't I consider a wider shackle bush?
you need to go for a grease type shackle. it will solve your problem as they are threaded and have the flexibilty to adjust the width.
Old 4th November 2009, 15:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rubber bushes [cheap and fast solution] or shackles with grease plates the adjustable once.
If you put fixed width bigger [wider] shackles, you'll have a wobbly ride.

Last edited by dinar : 4th November 2009 at 15:59.
Old 4th November 2009, 16:02   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
you need to go for a grease type shackle. it will solve your problem as they are threaded and have the flexibilty to adjust the width.
This topic has come up once before when I lost the shackle nut. I asked the Mahindra workshop to change into grease type shackle with nipple. I was told it is not available of this end of the leaf.
Old 4th November 2009, 19:46   #111
BHPian

Quote:
I was told it is not available of this end of the leaf.
How come?? They would have not had this part with them. grease type shackle kit is available in all local automobile spare part shops.
Old 5th November 2009, 21:04   #112
tushar.pawar

I can share few advantages of these carbon fiber composite leaf springs:

1) Specifically designed to give results like Air Suspension with out any extra external energy (Fuel)

2) No permanent deformation hence no re-cambering, thus no maintenance.

3) Minimum wear and tear of body parts and tyre due to delicate ten-dency of absorbing road shocks, jerks and vibrations.

4)Softer ride, Lower noise level, excellent stability due to better damp-ing characteristics.

5) Excellent corrosion resistance against atmospheric pollutants.

6) Five times stronger than conventional metal leaf springs.

7) Fully interchangeable with the conventional spring without any modifications.

8) Increase d fuel efficiency due to better aerodynamics and around 60% weight reduction.

9) No cracking sound since mono leaf and hence no inter-leaf friction and no greasing required.

10) Fatigue life 1 million cycles as compared to only 2 lacs for the metal leaf springs. ( ARAI tested)

Old 5th November 2009, 22:47   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar.pawar View Post
I can share few advantages of these carbon fiber composite leaf springs:

1) Specifically designed to give results like Air Suspension with out any extra external energy (Fuel)
==========
10) Fatigue life 1 million cycles as compared to only 2 lacs for the metal leaf springs. ( ARAI tested)
Hi Tushar in which vehicle you have installed ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2009 at 00:10. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short reply, readability issue with mobile users. thanks
Old 5th November 2009, 23:18   #114
BHPian

Quote:
I can share few advantages of these carbon fiber composite leaf springs
Please clarify - Are you mentioning these from experience as an end user or are you commercially involved with CF composite leaf springs ?

I believe that this forum requires you to make a deceleration to this effect.
Old 5th November 2009, 23:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can share few advantages of these carbon fiber composite leaf springs:\
welcome to TBHP tushar. 10 bucks says you/r commercialy involved in the CF, are you? If yes, please contact a MOD to declare it...
Old 6th November 2009, 10:50   #116
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tushar. You're obviously related to Dr Pawar, founder of Dr Nano and pioneer of CFLs in India. I had a conversation with him a few days back. Quite a few tbhpians are using your products, and the feeling has generally been of satisfaction.

Please feel free to declare your interest, and henceforth you can continue to answer all our queries on CFLs on this thread.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:00   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
welcome to TBHP tushar. 10 bucks says you/r commercialy involved in the CF, are you? If yes, please contact a MOD to declare it...
Dear Santosh,
You win those 10 bucks. I have just received a mail from Tushar about CFLs. He mentions in his mail that he is from ARC Industries.
@MODS: If in case you would need this information..
@Tushar: Welcome on board. It would be very helpful for a lot of members like me, who would be able to discuss more with you on CFLs.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 10th November 2009, 07:03   #118
Senior - BHPian

My concern about CFLs is not fatigue based failure, but one that is catastrophic. And this becomes a bigger factor because the OE is a set, and even if one leaf breaks, it is not a washout as would be the case in CFLs. So my question is - how has it been tested for strength? And does fiber get brittle with age and or use - so does the strength test need to be taken for sets of different ages?
I would hate to lose one on the front in a turn on a highway and lose control of the car.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:20   #119
Team-BHP Support

Sawyer, I think the suspension has many such single points of failure, which are much weaker than the CFL.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:12   #120
BHPian

Have got the front ones (the longer ones supplied earlier) replaced by Dr pawar with the shorter ones for my Gypsy King. Road holding & steering is much better but the jerks have slightly increased. There is also a problem in getting the wheels aligned.
I would currently not recomend the front CFL's.

Most Viewed