Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 09:35   #151
Team-BHP Support

I have no idea how to do that.

Listen, when I say researched, I mean from user point fo view, not scientific research. I am not a mechanical/Automobile engineer, so I won't try to act like one.

Once viji did the 8000kms trip to and from Ladak on the CF leaf, my mind was pretty much made up. I saw the offroad performance too. Two of my offroading friends have used the rear CF leafs on-road and off-road for months with happy results. That was good enough for me.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:01   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Any chance of measuring the spring rates for the stack, and the CFL for the CJ3B?
Would love to see the results, iff anybody has got it.
Old 20th December 2009, 07:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am not a mechanical/Automobile engineer, so I won't try to act like one.
Well, officially atleast, neither am I!

I am interested in the load/ deflection characteristics. This data should be avaliable from the manufacturers. One very crude indicative (as opposed to accurate) way (without taking it off the vehicle) would be to measure the travel left for different loads (people of known weights? ) The loads will have to be properly positioned.

Dont have a CJ3B now, but might be having a spare stack for the 340. If I can find it, will take a few measurements.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th December 2009, 07:48   #154
Team-BHP Support

The SA at Mahindra workshop had taken before and after measurements of body height. The one side went 3/4 inch up and the other side went 1 inch up after the installation.
Old 20th December 2009, 10:08   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one side went 3/4 inch up and the other side went 1 inch up after the installation.

care to explain that, Sharat?
Old 20th December 2009, 10:37   #156
Senior - BHPian

^^ Front and Rear ??
Old 26th December 2009, 21:22   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the pictures of the front CFL's for the Gypsy (blue one is old design & red one is NEW improved design).

Can you make out the design flaw in the blue one?

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img_7273.jpg

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img_7275.jpg

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img_7274.jpg

With some strange quirk of fate I ended up with installing the red one at the most unlikely of places under strange circumstances. I have driven some 200 kms after that on Highway. Must say that the the red one is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the blue ones. The ride/handling seems spot on at the moment.

Now need to do a test on how they hold and handle stress, fatigue over a period of time.

However, the jury is still out and can't make a call on them either way. But the new & improved red one's do look promising.

Let's see what the future holds...
Old 26th December 2009, 22:15   #158
Senior - BHPian

Hello Shahnawaz,
Thanks a lot for this information.
Please keep us updated on the negatives that you would find with the new red ones.
I shall wait for maybe another 3 to 4 months. If you wouldn't find any negatives with the red ones, i shall go ahead and purchase a set of 4.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 27th December 2009, 00:46   #159
BHPian

Hello sir
Congratulations for the new set.
Can you share what is the cost factor that one is likely to shell out if one thinks about changing all the 4 leafs in a gypsy ?

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Old 27th December 2009, 01:11   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Hello sir
Congratulations for the new set.
Can you share what is the cost factor that one is likely to shell out if one thinks about changing all the 4 leafs in a gypsy ?

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Last I checked, they were 10K for the rear set (both pieces) and 12K for the front set.

OT - Any luck with finding me an MPFi example? Got news of army disposal in N India that was a staff car (never driven off road) for 90K, but by the time I called it had already been sold!!! That one was a carb though.
Old 27th December 2009, 08:12   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
...Can you make out the design flaw in the blue one?...
You had mentioned earlier that the length was more than required in the blue one. Apart from that, the mounting holes are the other way around in the blue one...dont know if this is a flaw though.
Old 27th December 2009, 08:22   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Last I checked, they were 10K for the rear set (both pieces) and 12K for the front set.

thanks Aniket. this will help me select vis-a-vis CFL's and double leaf setup for my gypsy.
OT: no luck yet aniket. meaning thereby that I haven't yet physically found a good example of an mpfi although I have been hearing about ex govt mpfi gypsies in Delhi and other places up north. One of my friends who's a desert storm aspirant this year picked up a good condition 2003 model for 1.8L. Someone needs to scout the delhi market physically. I believe we will find our rides there. In case I dont get something in the next 2 months, I plan to pick up a carbed king from Delhi or Pune auctions for a friend here in Nagpur (priority will be an mpfi though) Will surely keep you in the loop if I hear of something.

Khan Sir do report on the on and offroad performance after this swap.

regards,
Abheek

Last edited by abheekg : 27th December 2009 at 08:27.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:41   #163
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samurai

In the courage beyond fear @ Coorg thread you mentioned your CFL broke. Could you elaborate that here please? Would be a nice record.

PS - Yours was the blue one too like Khan's, Did you get/offered the red one since the shackle mount reversal is quite a flaw wrt Handling, and the width of the shackle mount has also been changed quite a bit.

San
Old 27th December 2009, 22:21   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

care to explain that, Sharat?
My earlier metal leafs were not exactly perfect. So when they were replaced by CFL, the body actually went up by 1 inch on left side and 3/4 inch on the right side. The before and after measurements were taken at the middle of the rear arch. Why are you so shocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Hi Samurai

In the courage beyond fear @ Coorg thread you mentioned your CFL broke. Could you elaborate that here please? Would be a nice record.
I never said that. The primary leaf in the front metal leaf set is what broke. I have CFL only in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS - Yours was the blue one too like Khan's, Did you get/offered the red one since the shackle mount reversal is quite a flaw wrt Handling, and the width of the shackle mount has also been changed quite a bit.
My CFL is yellow, and my shackle position is perfect. I haven't faced any problems with CFL once I got it installed correctly.
Old 28th December 2009, 08:16   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My earlier metal leafs were not exactly perfect. So when they were replaced by CFL, the body actually went up by 1 inch on left side and 3/4 inch on the right side. The before and after measurements were taken at the middle of the rear arch. Why are you so shocked?
I am surprised as the body height is not supposed to vary on each side. This indicates worn shocks and suspension bushes.

Most Viewed