Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 21:04   #301
BHPian

Re: Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?

any thoughts on coiled springs in rear fitting in a jeep, to give car ride feel quality.
Old 7th January 2012, 00:06   #302
BHPian

I had the full set installed in my gypsy yesterday and the difference is amazing.

First ride after install and i said to myself - That's money well spent.

Now that the springs are set, got to do something about the rebound. Yeah, now it looks like the supposedly new set of shocks are not doing what they are supposed to. Earlier with the super hard springs they hardly had anything to do. The ride has become a BIT bouncy now revealing their true efficacy.

Any suggestions for the shocks replacement ???
Old 7th January 2012, 12:09   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
on my enquiry, the CFL's for MM540/550/Thar seems to cost around 26,000/- for the rear set. there is no front CFL for MM Jeeps, and front CFL's are available only for the Gypsy's.

Dear Samurai, Rajith, Swastikviji and all MM Jeep CFL users,
1. is the 26k price for the rear (mm540) alone justified ?
2. what are the benefits seen ? in slow speeds, does the jerking/rocking motion in MM Jeeps - reduced ? or absolutely nil ? pls share in detail your user experiences.
3. does the rear CFL really make the rear suspension like air suspensioned ? its too good to believe this, so pls clarify with your personal views.
4. on CFL fitment, what is the shackle type used ? silent block or grease type ?
5. how is the rear behaviour of the MM Jeep with 2 persons and with 4-5 pax ? any difference in the ride height, sagging like leaves etc.,.

Thanks in advance for all your info/tips/guidances.
Best Regards, Cheers.
Hi shekaran , my 2 cents

I bought the CFLs last year for my scorpio for a price of 20k . The rear ride is softer , rear feels slightly more planted while cornering .
There is more lift from the rear while hard breaking resulting in the rear tires lock up .
Air suspension stuff is bull.

Mahindra Jeep, hmm , get softer rear leaf springs , they make an ocean of difference, no CFL can match . Most of the OTR jeeps have very hard leaf setup .

The best ride on a Jeep better than innova ride quality is with the tapered leaf springs (rear) from the kaiser cj5/cj6. The are longer and soft , just the rear leaf mount on the chassis needs to be re positioned . This setup is present in a friends willys . I have heard CFLs breaking often in OTRs.

AFTER getting the softer leafs your bumpiness /ride quality will be sorted out , now you need more feed back and firmness from the suspension, you can go for aftermarket shocks from Ironman/OME or any other make.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 23:37   #304
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the info, frankenstein(sandeep).
my main useage is in highways and am an onroader, no offroading and i have the mm540 with 4wd bcoz of 2 reasons - 1.i love the jeep and 2.jeep without 4wd is not a complete machine.
i have 9 leafs in the front and 10 in the rear. if i have 4 or 5 pax, my ride is equivalent to that of a car (not including the rattles). but if i am driving solo (50% of the time), or with only 1 co-passenger, the rear makes bone jarring thuds and breaks my back after a 300km drive.
what can i do to have a car-like ride in the rear ? where can i get the tapered leafs, as per your post ? all 4 shocks are bolero long travel shock absorbers, and damping effect is very good in my jeep so far.
pls advice/guide me.
best regards.
Old 8th January 2012, 00:18   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
i have 9 leafs in the front and 10 in the rear. if i have 4 or 5 pax, my ride is equivalent to that of a car (not including the rattles). but if i am driving solo (50% of the time), or with only 1 co-passenger, the rear makes bone jarring thuds and breaks my back after a 300km drive.
what can i do to have a car-like ride in the rear ? where can i get the tapered leafs, as per your post ? all 4 shocks are bolero long travel shock absorbers, and damping effect is very good in my jeep so far.
I have car like ride. Even Mahindra mechanics who rode in my CJ340 claim it rides better than Scorpio.

I have made many long distance trips in my Jeep. I do get bothered by all the dust and sound, but never had body ache or back ache after 400+ kms trips.

Having very soft ride using CFL has its disadvantages.

1) High body roll, you have to take the corners with care.
2) The body goes down a lot if you have rear passengers. In the Avalakonda trail the underbody kept hitting rocks that I would usually clear. Then I noticed two people sitting in the rear.
3) Rocky offroad trail can make your stomach squirm. A rock hitting in the wrong angle can break the CFL easily.

My CFL was installed in Sept 2009, still doing great. I paid only 16K since I was the first guinea pig for SWB CFLs.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 09:48   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

The best ride on a Jeep better than innova ride quality is with the tapered leaf springs (rear) from the kaiser cj5/cj6. The are longer and soft , just the rear leaf mount on the chassis needs to be re positioned . This setup is present in a friends willys . I have heard CFLs breaking often in OTRs.
Franky, any pics of this setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
1) High body roll, you have to take the corners with care.
2) The body goes down a lot if you have rear passengers. In the Avalakonda trail the underbody kept hitting rocks that I would usually clear. Then I noticed two people sitting in the rear.
3) Rocky offroad trail can make your stomach squirm. A rock hitting in the wrong angle can break the CFL easily.
As an experienced user, do you recommend CFL for offroad use (for Jeeps only) ?

Quote:
My CFL was installed in Sept 2009, still doing great. I paid only 16K since I was the first guinea pig for SWB CFLs.
Isn't there some warranty on offer?

Spike
Old 8th January 2012, 09:58   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
As an experienced user, do you recommend CFL for offroad use (for Jeeps only) ?
Yes, it performs great on OTRs. But be careful about rocks.

Quote:
Isn't there some warranty on offer?
Yes, there was. One year or One lakh kms warranty. Free replacements for any defects, no questions asked. After installing the first pair, I noticed a crack in the eyelet of one of the leaf. I got a complete replacement (full pair) in 2 days.
Old 9th January 2012, 00:08   #308
BHPian

I have noticed 3 Thar's to date fitted with CFL's. I drove one and must say that the ride quality is considerably better. That being said I have also noticed in all three vehicles ,in the front the vehicle has dipped by one inch (space between the tyre and the fender and in the rear the space has increased by over 2 inches. My questions are

- Is this supposed to happen and if yes does it have any long term effect on the front and rear suspension (shock absorbers,front springs etc.)

- Will this have any effect on the performance of the vehicle or any parts like the angle of the prop. shaft front and rear

- Will this have any effect on braking due to the LSPV and any safety compromises considering the change in height in the front and rear

Regards,

Vijay
Old 9th January 2012, 09:08   #309
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Please see * * * * .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
I have noticed 3 Thar's to date fitted with CFL's. I drove one and must say that the ride quality is considerably better. That being said I have also noticed in all three vehicles ,in the front the vehicle has dipped by one inch (space between the tyre and the fender and in the rear the space has increased by over 2 inches. My questions are

- Is this supposed to happen and if yes does it have any long term effect on the front and rear suspension (shock absorbers,front springs etc.)

*** I am having an 8mm plate to be inserted between the CFL & diff tube to reduce rear height, which i didnt use as , longer U clambs was not available during fittment.

- Will this have any effect on the performance of the vehicle or any parts like the angle of the prop. shaft front and rear.

*** No issues found.In the case of Bolero prop shaft comes out by an inch , thus clutch vibration occurs during start and stop in traffic.

- Will this have any effect on braking due to the LSPV and any safety compromises considering the change in height in the front and rear.

*** An inch height diff doesnt make changes / effect on braking due to the LSPV and any safety compromises

Regards,

Vijay
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 20:24   #310
BHPian

Finally fitted CFL to my thar and its great.

Got the CFL from ARC industries couriered through private bus and picked up giving the LR number. the process was smooth (thanks rajith for the advise and help). i had the choice of installing it at a mechanic as suggested by ARC or i had to request ASC. I appreciate Sadiq at the ASC to help this extra fitting, gives confidence with the tools and knowledge at thier disposal. The process was fairly simple and i watch through the entire process (2-3 hrs). since its was thier first attempt were cautious. The CFL sleeves were marked well by ARC -as right/front to avoid confusion. all existing clamps were used except bushings. new ones advised by ASC to avoid any damage on hammering. the bushings went in well into the CFL eye. One eye had extra play, had to press it.

Amazing feel, rides like a car. though early days but am amazed at the difference. with leaf spring there was too much of bounce, but naturally due to lack of any load. CFL is like a car ride quality, highly recommended.

Attaching some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00131201203281445.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00132201203281445.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00136201203281534.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00138201203281534.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00142201203281537.jpg  

vnambiar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 22:02   #311
Senior - BHPian

^^The regular springs have a guide bolt with the spring and bottom plate assembly, how is this worked in a CFL?

Also, any idea what free camber does the spring have, free positive or free negative?

Can you post the pics of a CFL (full view) prior to the installation?

Spike
Old 28th March 2012, 22:24   #312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^The regular springs have a guide bolt with the spring and bottom plate assembly, how is this worked in a CFL?

Also, any idea what free camber does the spring have, free positive or free negative?

Spike
CFL has a similar guide bolt, rather a projection which comes in the form of a clamp at the perch area. They have decent Teflon kind of washer plates in between the cfl and those clamps also. It all comes as a package along with the cfl.

By default these cfls comes with + free camber. For egs in Spidey stock front metal leafs flatten out and almost goes negative, where as CFL holds positive camber in loaded state also.

After being part of breaking 3 sets of CFL I would still recommend them for stock vehicles, even for OTR's. Just need to keep watch on the rocks that's all. Not the minor scrapes but avoid taking huge hits. SPOA also rears are holding quite well.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 22:55   #313
BHPian

Quote:

Spike
Existing bottom plate was used and there is a guide bolt inbuilt CFL. Pictures

adding a pic during installation, teflon part visible.

Mods -you could add to my last post
Attached Thumbnails
Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00119201203281222.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00121201203281416.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00122201203281416.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img00125201203281417.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th March 2012 at 23:06.
vnambiar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:30   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
Existing bottom plate was used and there is a guide bolt inbuilt CFL. Pictures

adding a pic during installation, teflon part visible.

Mods -you could add to my last post
hi vnambiar,

What is the current cost of the CFL's for Thar? 25 K for a set?
Also, where is it shipped from?

thanks,
Siva
Old 9th April 2012, 19:44   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
What is the current cost of the CFL's for Thar? 25 K for a set?
Also, where is it shipped from?

thanks,
Siva
25K for the complete set is the quote, bargain and be happy if you get 10-15% discount. in any case, worth it, have been using it daily use. shipped from a place near pune called ichalkaranji

Most Viewed