Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 17:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Solex Carburettor for CJ3B

Team BHP members from Chennai, does the facility to manufacture Solex carburettors still exist there ?

Can someone help me source a new or used / restored Solex carburettor to sit on the Hurricane engine of my petrol CJ3B Jeep please ?

What about the Indian equivalent called PEICO, has anybody used this make ? Do they work fine ?

Would love to get some information on these ascpects.
Old 11th June 2009, 19:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

I bought s brand new solex carb for my CJ3B a while ago form Bombay. I can call and check if another is available.
Old 11th June 2009, 20:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you give me a month's time (normally I need that much to visit certain places), I can check with few people here. I got a original TVS Lucas delco (Injector) for one of our TBHPian, may be same place i can check for you.
Old 12th June 2009, 08:48   #4
BHPian

Even gbanavar was looking for one. I think he might have found it. PM him.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

M34-pbic

The new carburettors are no longer being manufactured (stopped in 1999).

However you can get SOLEX service kits for the M34PBIC.

Otherwise you can use the KPACCO & PTM kits in the Original Solex Carburettor.

Regards,

Arka
Old 12th June 2009, 11:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

M34-pbic

Some details from the CJ3B page

Solex Carb Notes on The CJ3B Page

Solex Carb Tips on The CJ3B Page

From my experience I would suggest

1) Increase the idle speed to 600-700rpm as
a) increase oil pressure
b) lesser chances of flooding and backfire
c) better descent control (12kgm@900rpm)

2) As Mr. Behram Dhabar strongly suggests, put a return line from the carb to the fuel line. The advantage
a) reduces flooding
b) increases Fuel Economy
c) improves carb life (float/lever & gasket/packing kit)

Also change main jet size between 127.5 to 140

Regards,

Arka
Old 12th June 2009, 13:45   #7
BHPian

Solex Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Even gbanavar was looking for one. I think he might have found it. PM him.
Desertfox,
The solex carb from an Amby will work on the 3B, but not with the best results. Anyway, I could not even find a new 32mm Amby carb in Bangalore, let alone the 34mm that came with the 3B. I had issues with used carbs, and finally on the 4th try have one that works!

Jammy has ordered a new 34mm one for me. I don't know where he is getting it from, but he may be able to get you one too.

The other obvious person that can help you is Mr. UBS. If not a new one he can probably get you a used, but tuned up carb.
Old 15th June 2009, 13:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would love to get hold of a new / used Sloex 34 mm carb.

ex670c, your suggestions have been noted with great interest. Are there any pictures / more details of the return pipe line to the fuel line.

Also I would like to purchase a service kit complete with float, jets and packing for this Cj3B carburettor. Can you help me with this please ? They are not available in Delhi, only the local made Pieco one is available.

Our friend Rabindra Singh has been lucky in his hunt. He has a solex service kit complete in a tin box manufactured in the 1960s I guess, he got it from the old Jeep dealer in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.

I hope V 16 can find a carburettor for me. Just tell me how much and where to send the money it can be shipped by courier.

Best regards,

Shahid

Note - How about going further ? Can a petrol engine fuel injection system be installed on this Huricane engine ?

Last edited by desertfox : 15th June 2009 at 13:12.
Old 15th June 2009, 14:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Return Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

ex670c, your suggestions have been noted with great interest. Are there any pictures / more details of the return pipe line to the fuel line.
Hi Shahid,

Below the fuel Inlet there is a Brass Screw, the return line can be fitted there.

Regards,

Arka
Old 15th June 2009, 14:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Shahid,

Below the fuel Inlet there is a Brass Screw, the return line can be fitted there.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks Arka, I had asked the question to Behram Sir in Post #111 in the thread below. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ra-cj3b-8.html
Even the Solex Carb diagram does not mention that this Brass Screw can also be used as a return line. Am glad you confirmed.
@Shahid: I have posted a picture in the above-mentioned post. It is not very clear, but may give an idea though. The picture is from gbanavar's Jeep.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 15th June 2009 at 14:57.
Old 16th June 2009, 08:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Desertfox - you can use any Solex carburettor body as long as you maintain the metering elements as required by the F4134 engine. The main jet is size 140, the venturi is 24 mm. Both are separately available. If you use a 22 mm venturi, you may gain a little driveability but you will suffer in fuel consumption. So please do not tear your hair out searching for a Jeep Solex.

Dear Arka - in order to incorporate a return line in case of a car fitted with the Solex carburettor, you need a brass "tee" connector with BLG 3 specification corrugation or bulge for an 8 mm pipe (5/16 inch). These are available at shops which sell hydraulic line parts. Then you dismantle a "160" size idler petrol jet from a scrapped old Solex carburettor, tap the centre leg of the tee to M6*1.0 thread and insert the jet in it. This acts as a restrictor / orifice. If this is not done, most of the petrol will go back and the engine will starve. If the orifice size is too small, it is as good as not having a return line at all. Connect the fuel outlet from the pump to the tee, connect the other end to the carburettor and connect the orifice to the return line which you will have to fabricate upto the tank. Mount the tee on the side of the carburettor very near to its entry point so as to keep the last pipe length to a minimum. You can fabricate a simple bracket for this purpose. Just for your information, it took me around 3 months of evaluation of the system on the engine dynamometer and then on the car to optimize the orifice size. I have full database. Also, adding a return line does not improve fuel consumption, it only reduces fuel temperature by 10 degrees, the most effect is during hill climbing.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th June 2009, 16:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got experience with installing the Indian SOLEX version PIECO carburettor on a Jeep or any Petrol engine ?
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Any luck anywhere in India ? Can I get hold of a Solex 134 Carburettor please ?
Old 24th October 2011, 18:09   #14

Re: Solex Carburettor for CJ3B

Hi friends,
After much difficulty, I am in possession of my grandfather's 1952 model Left Hand, Four Wheel Drive Willys Jeep. My local mechanic says that he can fix it if I am able to get AC pump kit, Delco Coil, Delco Point Set, Solex Carburetor and Self Motor (all 12 Volts). Kindly let me know from where I procure them.
Thank you,
Anurag.
Old 24th October 2011, 22:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Solex Carburettor for CJ3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1970 View Post
Hi friends,
After much difficulty, I am in possession of my grandfather's 1952 model Left Hand, Four Wheel Drive Willys Jeep. My local mechanic says that he can fix it if I am able to get AC pump kit, Delco Coil, Delco Point Set, Solex Carburetor and Self Motor (all 12 Volts). Kindly let me know from where I procure them.
Thank you,
Anurag.
Head to hyderabad, there are many master jeep builders and they should help you with all these parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks