Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 15:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way round? My right leg doesn't seem to lend itself easily to such a contortion!
Well that will depend on the construction of pedals of your vehicle, most old cars (Jeeps, old fiat etc)which do not have proper functional handbrakes, the way I have mentioned will easily work.. But if the tecnique of synchronising all three pedals is clear, it won't matter if you take it even the other way round.

With modern vehicles with handbrakes the other technique using handbrakes is much easier and safer.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 8th September 2009 at 15:14.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:18   #17
BANNED

If you cant get toe-heel or handbrake technique. Its Simple.

With right leg on brake and left leg on clutch holding it down. With either of your hands switch off the vehicle in gear (1st gear).

Get off look for big enough stones and put them both behind the rear wheels. Get in. Press clutch - crank - release handbrake - and get going like you would on a plain road.

Get to a surface that you are comfortable with. Shut off engine, lock car, walk back and throw the stones out of the way.
Old 8th September 2009, 16:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way round? My right leg doesn't seem to lend itself easily to such a contortion!
I do both. In old Jeep where throttle pedals are very long. I use toe for brakes and heel for throttle. In Gypsy, I do the reverse or both, except its not literally heel on the brakes but more of the middle portion of the sole. I just use what comes easier depending on the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If you cant get toe-heel or handbrake technique. Its Simple.

With right leg on brake and left leg on clutch holding it down. With either of your hands switch off the vehicle in gear (1st gear).

Get off look for big enough stones and put them both behind the rear wheels. Get in. Press clutch - crank - release handbrake - and get going like you would on a plain road.

Get to a surface that you are comfortable with. Shut off engine, lock car, walk back and throw the stones out of the way.
Its so confusing, could you give that in step 1, step 2 etc Kidding.

Yep! If you are not accustomed to launching from standstill on slopes. The above advise is best. Though you need to keep in mind, if incline is very steep, your vehicle may not have enough power to pull it off from standstill. In this case you might find yourself in an interesting position. You won't be able to move forward and you won't be able to move back either as the rock is jammed tight between the wheels and the road .
Old 8th September 2009, 17:33   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

one of the first techniques one learns after getting to know the ropes of driving if one has learnt one's driving in the hills, is the heel and toe method.
however, the use of this these days is considerably less than in the old days of Ambassador, Fiat and old Jeeps.

However, in case one is climbing a steep incline / slippery slope it is sensible to use the right vehicle for such things like a jeep with 4WD and then drive up in first gear with 4WD low engaged for better traction.

One needs to maintain one's momentum at all times and not slacken speed until after one has crested the peak of the slope.

This is one of the reasons for the old hill driving rule - "Uphill traffic always has right of way".
Old 11th September 2009, 10:50   #20
BHPian

Hi guys there is also another way to tackle a steep incline when you are stuck half way, hold on to the brakes with your right leg release the clutch with your left leg slowly after you have changed to 1st gear when you feel the gear pushing you forward release the brake and step on the gas the vehicle will move forward with out moving back a little bit also. Guys i learnt to drive the car like this just using the clutch and brake without using the acceration.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:10   #21
BHPian

james,
how many clutches u burned
Old 11th September 2009, 23:41   #22
BHPian

Hey Allen none till date, but just fried my cielo clutch while doing burnouts.
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:28   #23
BHPian

I missed this one, now i learned to drive and took dad out for a ride. On a steep incline in Shimla we got stuck in a traffic jam. How it works in shimla is that you need to move your car inch by inch on the incline you never cross over a feet or so at once in a traffic jam, I was a new driver and was a bit afraid to go ahead, thats when I tried the hand break and got out of the traffic situation. After driving further my dad made me stop on another incline and told me to practice without the hand break the toe and heel technique, His words" Do you think the guy driving the transport bus or the loaded truck has a hand break to help him? Never again used the hand break again apart from parking the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks