Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 12:35   #1
BHPian

Smoking jeep for dummies

For the last 1 month, i have noticed an extra vibration/shudder in my engine (xd3p) at times. This happens only when when the engine is at idle. When this happens there is a thick white smoke from the exhaust. When i press the throttle the white smoke goes away and return when i remove my feet off the pedal. Again this has been happening inconsistently and not always. Probably once in a week or so. After trying a few this and that i think i have finally found the solution to the problem. surprisingly in my case, the problem is simple.

Thought of starting this thread to post such experiences regarding smoke in your 4x4. Surprisingly i am not alone on this smoking thing.
Quoting a few questions posted in other threads mostly as OT messages.

Quote:
Hi guys, I need help with my MM 540. Its been belching blue smoke after being started. The problem was less initially but nowadays its quite a lot. 2 mechanics told me that the diesel pump has some work. any thoughts on what could be wrong. Iam getting a mileage of about 8kms/lt or so. Iam fed up of driving in town with "smokey"
Quote:
I think it is drinking oil. I put in 1.5lts today and I guess more is needed. However, the oil gauge showed that the oil was at the minimum level. The smoke is heavy during idle. The engine jerks a bit once I back off from the accelerator and thats when the smoke comes out most. During running the smoke is hardly there once the rpm is higher
Quote:
Is it a xd3p engine?? did you check the oil quality? could be the oil quality being bad and diluted. Do you feel any shuddering while revving the engine? and at the same time do you observe the smoke?
Quote:
Your mechanics could be right. Think about a Pump calibration. But before this, clean your fuel lines and change your diesel filter if you haven't done it already. Are you feeling some power lose?
Quote:
Looks like the same problem as in mine. Last week i changed the engine oil and the problem seems to have disappeared. suddenly yesterday the problem returned back. The shuddering, jerking etc is not consistent. It happens some times and doesn't when you bring someone to show it to. Star Aqua suggested a series of steps last week when we saw the problem. My mech said that one of the cylinder is not firing due to a blocked nozzle and thats the reason for the shudder. Have given it to get the nozzles cleaned. He said he will be removing them and take them to some pump house.
Quote:
Had a similiar issue with my Bolero too. Got the nozzles cleaned and its gone away. Another symtom could be a drop in mileage.
After discussing the problem with a few friends here and after carefully analyzing the problem i suggest you to follow these simple DIY steps before you open up that pump and send it for calibration.

1. Check for diesel quality
2. Clean the diesel tank and Check the fuel lines. Especially the pipe that brings the fuel from the tank to the filter. There might be some thing that got stuck and is hindering the fuel supply esp at idle.
If the fule lines are ok,
2. Then go for nozzle cleaning.
3. If everything seems good and still you find smoke, then go touch the pump and other parts. This is when you need expert advice.

In mine, an insect got into the fuel line and is hindering the flow. I was almost about to remove the pump for calibration. This would have costed me atleast 5K. Some how good trouble shooting sense prevailed and cleaned the fuel line and this thing came out. Now my jeep is back in business as usual. Thanks to star Aqua for on-field support and and sreeraj for tele support.

To know how an insect lodged inside the fuel lines can create smoke can better be explained by star himself as i am still a dummy on this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Krishna.

Last edited by kittigadu : 13th November 2009 at 12:36.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure if insect in fuel line will create smoke. The insect should have blocked reduced fuel supply which should affect you at all engine speeds and not just at idle.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if insect in fuel line will create smoke. The insect should have blocked reduced fuel supply which should affect you at all engine speeds and not just at idle.
This is exactly the issue that kept me thinking all day. I am not sure how. But in half hour time, i could see the white smoke disappear instantly after the fuel line is cleaned and engine restarted. Now it smokes black as how a normal engine would smoke. Shall keep the vehicle under observation for the next few days and report back.

Regards,
krishna.
Old 13th November 2009, 14:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
I am not sure how...
I think its Incomplete combustion. Due to low fuel going into the pump Vs the Amount of fuel needed by the nozzle to cause the complete 'explode' stroke wasnt equal, your engine was creating low compression and thus diesel was half burnt, giving out white smoke. Your FE should improve now. Keep us posted.

Ps - How much does it cost to do a compression test on 4 cylinder jeeps. This is to test the strength of the pistons/bore (I think?). Also this can dis/prove reverse/re-combusion in a engine?
Old 13th November 2009, 15:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

PEUGEOT (XDP4.9/XD3P) Troble-Shooting Guide

Courtesy Sudhir Kashyap.
Attached Thumbnails
Smoking jeep for dummies-scan0022.jpg  

Smoking jeep for dummies-scan0023.jpg  

Smoking jeep for dummies-scan0024.jpg  

Smoking jeep for dummies-scan0025.jpg  

Smoking jeep for dummies-scan0026.jpg  

ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 16:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tell me about it. My CJ340 has done 102750kms and is still waiting to find the right place to get the engine done.

Smokes worse than me.

Awesome post Arka, I'm getting it saved.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:04   #7
BANNED

Sirjee, rest of the manual please

Thanks for the thread Krishna.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Courtesy Sudhir Kashyap.
Encyclopedia

What other pages do you have Arka, please open a thread for your data collections...
Old 13th November 2009, 17:02   #9
BHPian

A few pictures spoke a hundred million words of wisdom. I am delighted at the simplicity and knowledge packed in a few images.
I feel like more enlightened now.

Thank you Arka for sharing such valuable info.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 13th November 2009, 17:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Simpsons Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Tell me about it. My CJ340 has done 102750kms and is still waiting to find the right place to get the engine done.

Smokes worse than me.

Awesome post Arka, I'm getting it saved.
Try the Simpsons Ooty,do you have a branch of Popular Automobile Engineers, of Cochin fame.

These guys can do a good JOB on a XDP4.9 while you are at it you may consider.

1) Rebuild & Change to latest XDP4.9 FIP (2001/02)

2) Upgrade to XD3P

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th November 2009, 17:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try the Simpsons Ooty,do you have a branch of Popular Automobile Engineers, of Cochin fame.

These guys can do a good JOB on a XDP4.9 while you are at it you may consider.

1) Rebuild & Change to latest XDP4.9 FIP (2001/02)

2) Upgrade to XD3P

Regards,

Arka
I was thinking of the Simpsons too or I might just give it to the Authorised Service Center which is a gamble. Nevertheless I need to do something soon.
What would you recommend, rebuild or upgrade.
Popular Engineers are not here.

Last edited by beejay : 13th November 2009 at 17:16. Reason: typo..
Old 13th November 2009, 19:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Courtesy Sudhir Kashyap.
Worth taking a printout and keeping it with our documents!!!! Seriously, thanks for sharing Arka.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 13th November 2009 at 19:50.
Old 4th December 2009, 18:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

This troubleshooting guide is simple precise and dummy proof as well.

Just what I was looking for.

Any more interesting pages, which might be useful, please do scan and share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks