Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 15:56   #1
BHPian

INVADER winch installation

Hi guys,
Need help in installing a ramsey winch on INVADER.Problem is the bumper and how to mount on it. At last years Great Escape I had seen an INVADER with a custom fabricated bumper which was increased in width to accomodate the winch. I think this was a factory vehicle . Also need to mount a spade and a high lift jack.suggestions welcome. Invader already has A.C. and power steering.
cheers
Old 20th November 2009, 15:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

This year I installed Ramsey winch my Jeep, it involved quite bit of research and experimentation.

How about posting the image of the front portion of your Invader.
Old 21st November 2009, 09:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallystar View Post
Hi guys,
Need help in installing a ramsey winch on INVADER.Problem is the bumper and how to mount on it. At last years Great Escape I had seen an INVADER with a custom fabricated bumper which was increased in width to accomodate the winch. I think this was a factory vehicle . Also need to mount a spade and a high lift jack.suggestions welcome. Invader already has A.C. and power steering.
cheers
It definitely needs a winch bumper which will replace the existing bumper. In a CJ series jeep and the MM540, there is a good place for mounting the winch but in a invader, you have to have a winch bumper. It'll help if you post pix of your invader in its current state.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Winch Installation

Quote:
Hi guys,
cheers
Hi Rallystar,

Remove the Bumper Cladding and the Chassis and Bumper will be visible.

Mount the winch on this and make suitable alteration on the Bumper cladding.

Regards,

Arka
Old 21st November 2009, 12:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
cheers
You bought a Invader?? Which model of ramsey ?
You'll have to cut the bumper [fabricate it round the mounts].
Remove the bumper , make a mount using a 'C' channel beam section and bolt it to the metal cross member, on this the winch can be mounted, the bumper will be around these section on both sides.
Other option is making a new external bumper out of 5mm steel plate and mount the winch on that, this will look good as well as strength to the setup.

Last edited by dinar : 21st November 2009 at 12:19.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

You should probably do a proper winch bumper .This is essential to hold the vehicle so that the the bumper does not break when you winch the cehicle.
BTW which winch are you going for?
Old 21st November 2009, 13:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Arka, would you believe this thing actually has a large steel bumper, no cladding?

As mentioned above you can cut the old original or remove the old and fabricate a new heavy one that will be welded to the two chassis rails. A good welder will make a weld that will bear up under the load of the winch. You will have to deal with adding signal lights somewhere/somehow. Not a big problem. You could also add tow hooks to this.

The other option is to cut the top center portion of the old bumper and fit a plate across the two chassis rails.
Attached Thumbnails
INVADER winch installation-invader-front-2-1204-x-903.jpg  

INVADER winch installation-invader-front-bumper-1204-x-903.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2009, 17:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - fyip

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
INVADER winch installation-dsc00327.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2009, 20:10   #9
BHPian

You Can make a custom winch plate and fix it just like this.
Attached Thumbnails
INVADER winch installation-striker-winch-mount..jpg  

INVADER winch installation-mms6.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2009, 22:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - fyip

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
- WHOA!!

BehramJi - Please tell me the pic has some angle-magic to it!! The Drop behind the Scorpio is ~90' DOWN!!! How in the world did it manage it? Who is inside it?
Old 24th November 2009, 01:00   #11
BHPian

Camera angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
- WHOA!!

BehramJi - Please tell me the pic has some angle-magic to it!! The Drop behind the Scorpio is ~90' DOWN!!! How in the world did it manage it? Who is inside it?

There certainly is a good deal of 'angle-magic' involved. Have a look at the angle of the trees and back-ground in relation to the car, that'll tell you the actual angle.
Old 24th November 2009, 01:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- WHOA!!

Looks like Mr Sudhir Kashyap to me.

Drifter
Old 24th November 2009, 08:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Very sharp eyes drifter, it is indeed Sudhir Kashyap.

In the above image, it is impossible to recover the original angle by rotating the photo, so don't try. It was shot from an angle that cannot be re-oriented.

Offroad photography is not easy since the photos flatten the terrain, so people often twist the camera (often too much) to get some reality. However, after lot of trail and error I have learnt to shoot without twisting the camera, the trick is in finding the right location to shoot. These days you will rarely find a bent tree in my offroad shots.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The Drop behind the Scorpio is ~90' DOWN!!! How in the world did it manage it? Who is inside it?
Santosh,
Have a look at the tree near Scorpios front wheel as Samurai has hinted. That should help you in getting a feel of the angle.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 24th November 2009 at 10:38.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Offroad photography is not easy since the photos flatten the terrain, so people often twist the camera (often too much) to get some reality. However, after lot of trail and error I have learnt to shoot without twisting the camera, the trick is in finding the right location to shoot.
This is so true. If you were at the Palar OTR on Nov 15th in Chennai, some of the climbs were extremely steep which many jeeps and gypsy's struggling to climb. But in the pictures, I took, it looks like a walk in the park. If you see the pictures, a person would be inclined to think what is the big deal, any maruthi can do that :-).

I am sure this is the case with many OTR pictures where the terrain looks so easy in the photograph but in reality it was a very difficult patch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks