Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 15:54   #76
Team-BHP Support

ETCHATLY!!! But see they sit on the bumper. Somebody is already out there trying out a trial piece, so lets wait for him This will be mostly done with 4mm iron box sections instead.

EDIT: Venki lets wait for a week or two ^^^ he spoke to me yesterday before starting off.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:56   #77
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But see they sit on the bumper
They needn't, you could have it hinge off the eyelets installed on the main frame behind the bumper. That would be perfect
Old 11th May 2010, 15:57   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ETCHATLY!!! But see they sit on the bumper. Somebody is already out there trying out a trial piece, so lets wait for him This will be mostly done with 4mm iron box sections instead.

EDIT: Venki lets wait for a week or two ^^^ he spoke to me yesterday before starting off.
Superb! Cant wait to see and experience the results!
Old 11th May 2010, 16:06   #79
Team-BHP Support

^^ Yup and you will need to have a paka steering system, find a gear lever lock system to hold it in neutral and avoid any theatrics
Old 11th May 2010, 16:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
There will be a lot of thrust on the front bumper when you use the towing device that you have manufactured as the towing point is not concentric with the long member. I would have provided a towing hook on the top of the long member to prevent expected damage on the bumper due to high thrust on long members
Thank you Sir. Now Samurai might agree with what i tried saying in non engineering terms
Old 11th May 2010, 16:08   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Yup and you will need to have a paka steering system, find a gear lever lock system to hold it in neutral and avoid any theatrics
Thats a good idea about the gear lock. Will look for one, once the tow bar is done.

I suddenly see more people looking to buy petrol SWB's................
Old 11th May 2010, 16:12   #82
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a broken down car being towed long distance its best to disconnect the prop shaft, just four bolts !
Old 11th May 2010, 16:15   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
On a broken down car being towed long distance its best to disconnect the prop shaft, just four bolts !
Ofcourse. This whole disconnection of the prop-shaft is painful only when you towing a perfectly normal jeep on the highway and you suddenly see an unexplored offroad trail which you have to explore...but after connecting back the prop-shaft
Old 11th May 2010, 16:16   #84
Team-BHP Support

DKG our man Venki is planning to use his Scorpio to tow his CJ in a very american style, to the OTR locations. For me its just an insurance idea and if Sreeraj cooperates a money saving one too
Old 11th May 2010, 16:16   #85
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ofcourse. This whole disconnection of the prop-shaft is painful only when you towing a perfectly normal jeep on the highway and you suddenly see an unexplored offroad trail which you have to explore...but after connecting back the prop-shaft
Sorry I think I missed something ! You guys are talking about towing a good car long distance? Or a broken down car?
Old 11th May 2010, 16:19   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Sorry I think I missed something ! You guys are talking about towing a good car long distance? Or a broken down car?
Both :-)

I am interested in towing my JEEP to the offroad location, unhooking, playing around, hook back, and drive home in comfort.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:20   #87
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG our man Venki is planning to use his Scorpio to tow his CJ in a very american style, to the OTR locations. For me its just an insurance idea and if Sreeraj cooperates a money saving one too
Sorry stupid me !! Now that's interesting

You know what I have this Tata 207 and I've toyed with the idea of mounting the Jeep onto the pickup for the really long drives. Problem is the bed falls short by 12 inches. If I leave the tail gate down and secure it in way it can hold the weight of a Jeep's rear (maybe jacks under the frame ?)

Everyone keeps telling me its a stupid idea So I just drive! But I like the idea of a Jeep being taken to the site while you enjoy the comforts of a SUV on the highway. Most hardcore offroaders with dedicated extreme offroad machines do this. Only thing is they use proper trailers
Old 11th May 2010, 16:25   #88
Team-BHP Support

And only issue Mr RedLiner gonna face is most of the OTR's begin in one state and ends up in another. So his beloved SUV will be parked in some jungle in another state, without "rent a daily wage driver" facility around!!
Old 11th May 2010, 16:29   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

How much would the rear of a Jeep weigh? It should be light enough for two strong men to lift off the ground?
Old 11th May 2010, 16:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

DKG, I have a 207 too.

Best is to extend the rear with 12 mm steel plates that come out from under the chassis over the ladder and support it back to the chassis with a L angle support. This 12 inches or so should not be much of a problem especially if you can manage to have the wheels sit in pre fabricated arches. This way your 207 with the wheel stand attached would be rigid and you could jack and remove the wheel stand and drive down your jeep!!

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks