Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 18:49   #1

Auto transmission and power brakes / steering in a mahindra jeep

I see all sort of modified jeeps here in Punjab (so called "landi-jeeps"), among others some have toyota engine swaps. This made me think it is probably possible to put an engine in there that could be mated to an auto transmission. The reason I need such a setup is mentioned in my first two posts. If anyone can shed some light on this please do as I am very keen on starting such a project. One of my dads friends is a retired Brigadier so im sure he can help me pick up something from the Army. Or alternativly I can pick up a finished project and start an engine-swap project. I might be totally wrong but a few ideas that popped into my head was trying to import an old v8 with tranny from Canada or the states as scrap or pay the penalty duty. Another was maybe buying an innova engine off an accident car and maybe importing an auto transmission from a country where it comes as AT or the engine/tranny off an Optra/Sonata/Accord and maybe re-map it to give more torque over top speed.

I would justify an added cost of 1-2 lakh on top of the basic vehicle.

So tell me any mechanics/shops out there brave enough to take this on, is it at all possible?

Thanks in advance,

Sunny.
Old 24th April 2010, 15:21   #2

No one have any input on this? I just need to know if it is possible to do or if anyone has seen it been done. And if so What sort of cost would be involved and what setup would be the easiest/best to do.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipsn View Post
No one have any input on this? I just need to know if it is possible to do or if anyone has seen it been done. And if so What sort of cost would be involved and what setup would be the easiest/best to do.
Nothing is impossible
Only questions is "is it technically feasible & financially worth"

Most of the auto transmissions are interfaced with the Engines's ECM for its effective functioning. So better think of getting Engine+tranny
If you are serious about the project, try importing 'Nose cut' body of a donor ( a v8 or v6 machine of ur choice)
I had an idea in this line ; to import a 2.0 liter Suzuki v6 nose cut for my Gypsy.
Economically that was not feasible with all those hefty custom duties & I never had the right contacts to import it in another route.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

IIRC someone in the forum has installed an AT in his Jeep, don't remember the name though. Power brake and steering is definitely doable.

Spike
Old 24th April 2010, 19:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
IIRC someone in the forum has installed an AT in his Jeep, don't remember the name though. Power brake and steering is definitely doable.

Spike
Allan aka Xtreme_power from Mumbai has done it. Contact him
Old 24th April 2010, 20:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Nothing is impossible
Only questions is "is it technically feasible & financially worth"

Most of the auto transmissions are interfaced with the Engines's ECM for its effective functioning. So better think of getting Engine+tranny
If you are serious about the project, try importing 'Nose cut' body of a donor ( a v8 or v6 machine of ur choice)
I had an idea in this line ; to import a 2.0 liter Suzuki v6 nose cut for my Gypsy.
Economically that was not feasible with all those hefty custom duties & I never had the right contacts to import it in another route.
I am definatly going to explore the idea of getting a V8 with tranny into the country. An MM with a nice V8 with all its torque is just to mouthwatering for me to not try. I am sorry I am not upto speed on mechanics lingo, what does 'nose cut' mean? Now the engine bay of a Mahindra will it be able to hold the engine or will modification has to be done due to extra weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Allan aka Xtreme_power from Mumbai has done it. Contact him
Thanks I am going to see if I can search up his treads or even pm him.
Old 25th April 2010, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Nose cut = part of the vehicle from b-pillar to front grill, may include or exclude suspension.
You can get full contents of engine bay, including the tranny.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you instead buy a Scorpio 4x4 AT? I can bet you that, in the long run, this vehicle will work out cheaper than a DIY AT Indian Jeep. Not to mention, the time & headache saved are priceless. Importing nose cuts, V8 engines, AT's, then mating them and finally...the suspect long-term reliability can work out terribly expensive.

Pay more at the start, but get yourself a viable, workable and proven solution.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why don't you instead buy a Scorpio 4x4 AT? I can bet you that, in the long run, this vehicle will work out cheaper than a DIY AT Indian Jeep. Not to mention, the time & headache saved are priceless. Importing nose cuts, V8 engines, AT's, then mating them and finally...the suspect long-term reliability can work out terribly expensive.

Pay more at the start, but get yourself a viable, workable and proven solution.
That does make perfect sense, however not much about owning an Indian Jeep is a sensible choice. The Jeep idea for me was a long haul project that I could do over a couple of years ie. buy a chassis/body now store it and work on this over time. The Scorpio 4x4 AT would mean dishing out 10 odd lakh INR in one go on something that despite being a good vehicle in its own right still wouldn't offer the gratitude of driving an open jeep. I will have to think this over, the last thing I would want is for this to be a project that doesnt complete, hence why I am making this enquire to see if it is viable to do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks