Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 07:42   #1

Thud Sound from Clutching Action

Hello folks,

I've been experimenting around with my new 4X4 (A gypsy 410, 1988) and recently have come across an issue already. Here is the description of the issue.

"When I depress the clutch pedal during driving, something underneath makes a thud sound. The same happens whilst releasing the pedal. I asked a mechanic to inspect and he confirms it is something to do with the '4WD Box', i.e. the 4WD Transmission. He deduced this upon inspection of 'Cross-Bearings' and even replacing one fitted to the rear shaft. This gypsy has free-wheeling hubs and it's in the FREE position."

The following are the pointers which could have something to do with the issue, but I'm so sick of hearing the thud sound on every gear change that I'd like to take advice from anyone who has experienced the same.

1. The sound begun the same evening after I'd driven the vehicle uphill on 4L for some minutes at noon.
2. The sound seem to vanish during start-up from standstill and/or if the clutch is released real slow.
3. The sound is prominent whilst depressing the clutch pedal more than whilst releasing it.

I'd be grateful for any help, advice or remedy suggested.
Old 27th October 2010, 10:14   #2
BHPian

First one Q - When was the last time you (or previous owner) changed all the rubber mounts (Engine G-box and T-case)?

Check/replace all your rubber mounts.

It is unlikely that using 4lo has caused damage (considering that most of us use lots of 4lo during offroading)

Hope this helps

Cheers
GB
Old 28th October 2010, 10:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
First one Q - When was the last time you (or previous owner) changed all the rubber mounts (Engine G-box and T-case)?
Yep it's got to do with engine mounts. Check the mounts, get it tightened if loose , else get them replaced.
This should solve the issue
Old 28th October 2010, 13:04   #4
BHPian

What's your idle rpm? if its high, this will also cause thud sound during clutch release at every gear shift except for moving from standstill i.e. first gear..
Old 28th October 2010, 13:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thud!!!!

Hi atheistrical,

Please check the following.

1) If the Vehicle is in 2H or 4H

2) Gearbox to T-Case Prop Shaft & Universal Joint (UJ)

3) Companion Flange Lock/Check Nut
a) Gearbox
b) T-Case Input
c) T-Case Front Output
d) T-Case Rear Out Put

3a) T-Case bed.

4) Rear Propeller Shaft UJ's and Spline for Play

5) Rear Diff. Pinion (excessive Backlash/Play)

Also check the oil level in the Gear Box/T-Case/Front Diff & Rear Diff.

Regards,

Arka
Old 28th October 2010, 20:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think you probably just have an old cranky worn out clutch. The pressure plate springs and/or the diaphragm spring and the throw out bearing have probably seen better days.

If your mechanic says it's the clutch I suggest you do not take half measures. Just rebuild the whole clutch while you have it out of the vehicle. It's the labor of pulling out the clutch, not the parts, that makes up the repair cost so ask your mechanic about a complete clutch rebuild and see what he says.

That's my 2 rupees worth of free advice.
Old 29th October 2010, 18:29   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Had faced this in a Contessa once. It's most definitely to do with the propeller shaft or the rear diff. One of these is either loose and / or has play.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks