Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: SoS - Gypsy driven in 4WD for 15 KMs

I am new to Gypsy but building my knowledge because a buy is planned this year. Can anyone please explain what is this all about -

1. Should the 4X4 never be used on tarmac ? (I know why will anyone use it but if unintentional engagement happens like in this case)
2. During Offroad is there a time limit for max. time one can use the 4X4 ?
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:22   #17
BHPian

nothing to worry if you have not taken any U-Turn kind of thing at high speed.
I had driven many times on 4x4 low for 50-60 kms, normally in rallies we don't disingage the 4X4 low irrespective of the surface.

I had never faced any problem because of using 4x4 low on tarmac. I hope it gives you some relief.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:43   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
I am new to Gypsy but building my knowledge because a buy is planned this year. Can anyone please explain what is this all about -

1. Should the 4X4 never be used on tarmac ? (I know why will anyone use it but if unintentional engagement happens like in this case)
2. During Offroad is there a time limit for max. time one can use the 4X4 ?
See http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_part.html and check the link http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/how.html on the page or http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

HTH

Last edited by Ragul : 22nd March 2011 at 15:45.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Checklist:
- Is your gearshift movement smooth as usual?
- Is the car vibrating at speed?
- Is there any whine from the gearbox/axles when driving at speeds above, say, 60 km/h?
- Can you switch in and out of 4H and 4L as easily as you could earlier?
+1, check for any oil leaks underneath (which may have developed or aggravated after this incident).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
When I told him I never use 4WD on tarmac because I fear damage he said not to worry the damage will not be severe, because of an additional gearbox in the front that absorbs the slight extra friction.
Spike
Old 28th March 2011, 19:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
...When he returned it, the 4WD indicator was on, and he said it was on for at least 15 KMs. ...
As others have said, ntomer, no need to worry at all....I have driven about 35 kms in 4L (when it got stuck in 4L), with some pretty sharp turns on the way...my Gypsy runs smoothly today, without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
...the addition of a suffix 'SM' courtesy the govt for making me a receipent of a 'Sena Medal'(Gallantry) this year.
Congrats, Major Hearty congrats on the Sena Medal .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 28th March 2011 at 19:31.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I get this very faint ultra high pitch whine at 2WD in high speed anyways from my brand new Gypsy. Makes it sound similar to an aircraft turbine except noise levels are extremely low. I have used 4x4 only for 15 mins or 1/2km off-tarmac. Is that normal? The faint noise begins @70kmph and increases pitch over the next 15kmph acceleration.

--Ragul
Does your gypsy make this sound above 60 km in fifth gear. Does it increase at 80 km/h.

Try 60 km/h in 2nd or third gear. It won't be there.

If above symptoms are there, this sound is coming from 4X4 transfer case. Two bearing and a small shaft needs to be changes as the shaft has become uneven and the bearing are making this sound. The three parts would cost about Rs. 3000/-.

These are all SGP parts.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 29th March 2011 at 16:16.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:11   #22
BHPian

Most Gypsy's at Dessert Storm or Raid de' push their vehicles flat out in 4x4 HI.

I wonder if the light nature of the Gypsy lets the transmission un-wind, by letting the tires slip a little even on tarmac,..or trial driving.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:14   #23
BHPian

In a rally, transmission winding is not a huge concern as there is lot of excessive wheel spin and jumps. And gypsy transmission is one of the most sturdy available. It does winds up easily.

Also their is not much tarmac for a long stretches. Raid and DS organisers make sure of that

And the parts that I have mentioned above, plus leaf springs, diff tubes, shockers (all eight), bush kit, clutch and oil changes are done in most of the cases. These parts take the maximum brunt.

In fact, top drivers manage to destroy suspension (leaf springs and shocks) during a rally only. And these are tiger red. Which are really good.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 31st March 2011 at 12:15.
wanderhermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 17:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Does your gypsy make this sound above 60 km in fifth gear. Does it increase at 80 km/h.

Try 60 km/h in 2nd or third gear. It won't be there.

If above symptoms are there, this sound is coming from 4X4 transfer case. Two bearing and a small shaft needs to be changes as the shaft has become uneven and the bearing are making this sound. The three parts would cost about Rs. 3000/-.

These are all SGP parts.
Dear Wanderhermit,

Could you please look at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2612688

I think I am facing similar problem. Would you suggest the same for my MM540?

With thanks,
HJ13

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks