Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Will Mahindras finally own the "JEEP" brand?

Hi,
I found this article, while surfing,seems an interesting. Hope Mahindra is successful in getting this much covetted brand under it wings. Heres wish best of luck to DB sir,spike arrestor,vinod nookla and others in M&M team.

Quote:

"With rival Tata Motors only months away from taking over at Jaguar and Land Rover, Mahindra & Mahindra is desperate to find Western partners."

Rumours have started on the Internet today suggesting that Mahindra is in talks with Chrysler for collaboration with its iconic Jeep brand.

Despite what many believe, Jeep and Mahindra have had a long history together, the Indian company distributed Jeeps in India and even based its first cars on the Willys platform.

Given the recent break-up of Daimler Chrysler and the takeover of Chrysler by Cerberus, it’s unlikely that Jeep will be sold of, so any deal signed would still leave the brand in American hands. Either way Mahindra is determined to find Western allies.

“Will we do more car projects, doubtless. Will we do it with someone else, yes, may be. But it’s certain we won’t do cars on our own. The auto industry of the future will be collaboration-driven for the benefits of scale and synergy and that’s in the DNA of Indian companies.” M&M vice-chairman and MD Anand Mahindra said

When asked about a possible deal with Jeep, Mr Mahindra said, “We are talking to automakers around the world to discover whether there are opportunities.

The Indian company, best known to the west for its tractors, has been buying out break-through engineering technologies in order to “leapfrog into the global league as an iconic vehicle maker.”

“Small pieces of the jigsaw puzzle, like our acquisition of an Italian design company recently, add up to a quantum leap in technology,” Mr Mahindra said.

Mr Mahindra also noted that its bidding war with Tata Motors over Ford’s luxury brands didn’t continue because the company “…will never match irrational bidding with irrational bidding”.

Read the full story at:
Mahindra interested in Jeep? | Car Advice | Reviews
@Mods, I did not know exactly where to put this thread, If you find it unacceptable,same may be deleted.

Warm Regards

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th May 2011 at 22:42. Reason: putting external content in quotes, thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 22:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will Mahindras finally own the "JEEP" brand?

The article is from 2008 so looks like the deal was a non starter.
Old 11th May 2011, 22:30   #3
BHPian

Whoops My apologies. This came to me in the mail and in the excitement did'nt see the link myself. Thanks bigman for pointing it out.

@Moderators, please delete this post,before lot of people start getting excited.

Warm Regards
Old 11th May 2011, 22:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Similar thread Exists Mahindra May Buy Jeep

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks