Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 14:42   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata motors coming up with Thar / Gypsy competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Agree with 4x4addict here 100%.

I have been saying all the while that the Xenon is a good platform to build on and even made a pictorial of probable models that could come.
I don't follow this thead much, but those are some amazing products that would appeal to many enthusiasts here!
Old 28th April 2012, 12:37   #92
Senior - BHPian

This thread is a good news!!!
This thread will get flooded!!!
This thread will be secretly tab'd/ observed by many a automotive majors!!!
This thread will start to build a cult follow for an imaginary offroader even before TATA + BD sir sign off the project charter!!!
The product once launched will start a new paradigm!!!

I honestly would like to see a game changer; in the sumo prima facie to start with. Sumo is a total bad a$$ with fine GC and an imposing image which people dont mind beating the hell out of. Plus its time tested + Desert storm experience. For the lessons learned in the past decade and corrective actions, I'l leave that to TATA folks. As for the Xenon, its an "oh my God there is a scratch on my bumper" feeling generator

Expectations:A 4x4 Sumo (army like) which can serve like an LR Defender 90.

Detailed expectations:
1. A lighter, nimbler, more powerful (2.2vtt would be God sent) Sumo with better track-to-height ratio and articulation.
2. Diff ratio of 4.27 or better with BW TC.
3. Manual diff locks preferred.
4. Hard top with AC/PS/Electric windows/sound ergonomics.
5. Slightly shorter wheel base would be highly preferred.
6. Good quality fit and finish. A Bolero quality is good for me.

Hint: Anything in the lines of a Gurkha (or better) for under 8L and I will add that to my EMI computation.

I am eager...

p.s: BD sir, kabhi hamara phone call bhi uthaiye

Last edited by The Wolf : 28th April 2012 at 12:58.
The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 18:02   #93
BHPian

Yesterday saw Xenon type SUV with 5 door.
In front of TATA showroom Worli Mumbai. Sorry for bad photo as it was dark.
This SUV was like Xenon SWB with 4x4. Not sure where it was modified Xenon or new SUV from TATA can someone pls confirm

Tata motors coming up with Thar / Gypsy competitor-xenon.jpg

Last edited by triggercool : 17th May 2013 at 18:05.
triggercool is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 23:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

I missed this thread while on my 12 month exile, but a lot has happened since then and im glad to be back.

All SWB offroad vehicle with hard top have 2/3 doors. Wrangler, Defender 90, Jimny, Thar, Gurkha II, Gypsy (MWB) etc.

Do we in India have the need for a 4/5 door SWB/MWB or we are comfortable with the 2/3 doors? Because for some it will be a primary vehicle for family and OTRs, so we would be looking for comforts as well as the performance during offroad.

From what the Sumo Gold has been doing in the last few months/year since BD moved over, i think we might see a SWB Sumo made on inspirations from Def 90.

Infact Sumo Gold, Safari and Xenon (all 4WD) are doing the rounds by taking part in most of the offroad/rally competetion except in M&M GE!

To keep the costs down in india and if TATA wants to laugh all the way to the bank, the SWB 4WD vehicle has to be a Hybrid Jugaad (read Thar) or born again (read Gurkha II) with its plastic surgery.

It could be a combination of best of what TATA has in the bins, because there is no point re-inventing the wheel.

Reviving Sierra could be a problem with the mindset of us indians as we might think that TATA is giving us an OLD vehicle (it has happend with Safari Storme).

The said SWB 4WD cannot be called Sumo XYZ as we indians dont want to buy a vehicle used by taxi segment. (example is Grande)

Xenon is the best platform to be played around if a SWB 4WD vehicle needs to kept around 6-7 Lakhs.

BD might have extra freedom in decision making for the SWB 4WD vehicle, compared to what he had in M&M.

Im sure he has been hired to put things in order for SUVs in TATA stable and i think he made a clever deal with management to exactly do that PLUS a free hand to finish what he started with Thar.

BD is monitoring this thread on a daily basis and so are other OEMs.
Old 17th May 2013, 23:37   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
I missed this thread while on my 12 month exile, but a lot has happened since then and im glad to be back.
BD is monitoring this thread on a daily basis and so are other OEMs.
Actually, nothing has happened on this thread. This thread was dormant since April 2012, until it was bumped today.
Old 18th May 2013, 00:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

Expectations:A 4x4 Sumo (army like) which can serve like an LR Defender 90.
4x4 Sumo is already available at KHT Motors in Bangalore. I have already seen an Olive Green 4x4 Army Sumo near my house. Was looking really nice and damn rugged especially with what looked like 18" wheels!
Old 18th May 2013, 00:28   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Condor - thank you for the Sumo information. I am forwarding it to the concerned persons (Head - QA and Head - Manufacturing and Project Manager) for action. As I regularly visit the assembly line, I will look for this also.

As you own a Sumo, I request you to look at the newly launched Sumo Gold BS4 GX vehicle, drive it and post your findings. This will give us good customer insight.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
BD sahib,

When you refer to the SG BS4 GX, are we talking about "MH01BB4972"?

Is it relevant to this thread?

Last edited by Parm : 18th May 2013 at 00:30.
Old 18th May 2013, 01:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
BD sahib,

When you refer to the SG BS4 GX, are we talking about "MH01BB4972"?

Is it relevant to this thread?
"MH01BB4972" is a regular Sumo Gold beefed up for endurance.

However unlike in Mahindra where BD had to mix and match, at Tata he has a platform on the platter, check below.

The TATA SUMO TLAV with a 115bhp engine

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2892607

Speaking of wheelbase, its already shorter than Thar by 5 mm (2425mm, Thar being 2430). Add to this they already have 7.5-16 tyres and 4.8 axle ratio.

If only someone at Tata had sense to exploit this platform that they already have with them. Only Body job might be required (But keeping the front end from the old Sumo)

There is a reason the thread is dormant and that is, Tata's ignorance about itself.
Old 18th May 2013, 09:21   #99
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere someone asked a rhetorical question on which of the two manufacturers have the platform...

My bets are on Tata. But first, they have to deal with the ghosts inside.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 20:57   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My bets are on Tata. But first, they have to deal with the ghosts inside.
Being a Govt owned Public sector company, it is not going to be easy for Tata to move quickly enough to fight competition.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks