Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 10:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1970 CJ3 : Rock you like a Hurricane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Using the wrong exhaust (DI Jeep) is surely not a bright idea. Looking out for a new one. Any other vehicle from which I can use the exhaust? Clutch pressure plate is not in good shape. Worked fine for the first 2-3 days of driving but now while starting from standstill there are major shudders and jerks. Changing from 2nd to 3rd is smooth though. What could be the reason? Am thinking of changing the clutch plate and pressure plate. Don't know how someone (my mechanic) can do that but there are two buttons for the same horn, Steering center and special knob fitted on front dashboard plate. Just don't understand how people can be careless enough to not check before doing some work.
Dear AVR - please observe the rear bumper (part of the chassis). It is shorter on one side in CJ3B. The shortened length is for the tail pipe to come out from, so as not to reduce departure angle, which is a masterstroke, very thoughtfully done which makes the original Jeep so unique. For RHD vehicles which we made in Kandivli, this cut was on the LH side. I don't know why the cut is on the RH side in your vehicle. Maybe you need to cnfirm whether your vehicle was originally LHD, converted to RHD. The signs will be there in the form of steering gear box mounting etc. The original CJ3B muffler was quite small in length but the diameter was more. I don't know the internal details. Generally, the more the volume, the better the muffler performs. Please maintain the exhaust and tail pipe diameter as 44.45 mm (1.75 inches). Any good exhaust fabricator will be able to do this work. The CJ3B petrol uses an 8.5 inch diameter clutch. The diesel uses a 9.25 inch diameter clutch. See that the correct unit is fitted. You have to somehow procure the original MSL (Mahindra Spicer Ltd), unit. Aftermarket things will not work. The original RHD CJ3B had floor mounted clutch pedal with linkages and a cross shaft mounted between the chassis and the transfer case (for 4WD) and the transmission (for 2WD). There was a small cable to pull the fork. The beauty is that the original CJ3B LHD had a push type system. Please post detailed photographs so that I can guide you in totality. You can connect the same horn with any number of horn buttons. After all, it is just one wire which connects to earth when you press the button. Just tell the guy to disconnect it. I understand your frustration but everybody is not as clear on product specifications. For my classic fiats also, I get exactly what I want.

Please do something about the paint, it is letting the vehicle down completely.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 11:32   #17
AVR
BHPian

Thanks Mr. Behram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear AVR - please observe the rear bumper (part of the chassis). It is shorter on one side in CJ3B. The shortened length is for the tail pipe to come out from, so as not to reduce departure angle, which is a masterstroke, very thoughtfully done which makes the original Jeep so unique. For RHD vehicles which we made in Kandivli, this cut was on the LH side. I don't know why the cut is on the RH side in your vehicle. Maybe you need to cnfirm whether your vehicle was originally LHD, converted to RHD.
This is an original RHD and been in the family right from the showroom. 1970. Just checked the plate again. I see the bumper being short on the driver side for the exhaust but its always been a RHD

Quote:
The original CJ3B muffler was quite small in length but the diameter was more. I don't know the internal details. Generally, the more the volume, the better the muffler performs. Please maintain the exhaust and tail pipe diameter as 44.45 mm (1.75 inches). Any good exhaust fabricator will be able to do this work.
Yes a custom exhaust seems to be the best thing to do. Thanks!

Quote:
The CJ3B petrol uses an 8.5 inch diameter clutch. The diesel uses a 9.25 inch diameter clutch. See that the correct unit is fitted. You have to somehow procure the original MSL (Mahindra Spicer Ltd), unit. Aftermarket things will not work.
Am not able to source the Mahindra Spicer but something else which is a Feneul or something. Am on the lookout for the clutch so hopefully should find one soon.

Quote:
The original RHD CJ3B had floor mounted clutch pedal with linkages and a cross shaft mounted between the chassis and the transfer case (for 4WD) and the transmission (for 2WD). There was a small cable to pull the fork. The beauty is that the original CJ3B LHD had a push type system. Please post detailed photographs so that I can guide you in totality.
Will do that soon Sir. Thanks!

Quote:
You can connect the same horn with any number of horn buttons. After all, it is just one wire which connects to earth when you press the button. Just tell the guy to disconnect it. I understand your frustration but everybody is not as clear on product specifications. For my classic fiats also, I get exactly what I want.
I think when one is trying to restore something back to original, the Indian mentality of Jugaad becomes a liability as we want to improvise and find easier ways out instead of doing things the right way to get back to the original.

Quote:
Please do something about the paint, it is letting the vehicle down completely.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Lol. Afraid the color's going to remain the same. Post the second round of paint and better pictures I'll have you change your opinion
Old 8th February 2013, 17:59   #18
AVR
BHPian

This Jeep got ready while I was away in the US and my family friend had it picked up from there itself.

- The exhaust note is now very similar to what a typical Hurricane would sound like!
- Body was repainted as the color wasn't working out well in some places.

These are the last pics I took before I went off.

1970 CJ3 : Rock you like a Hurricane!-06082012580.jpg

1970 CJ3 : Rock you like a Hurricane!-06082012581.jpg

1970 CJ3 : Rock you like a Hurricane!-06082012582.jpg

When I came back I asked about how was the 200km trip back home for the CJ3B. Well not without drama but no major issues as such except that the Alternator conked off but was repaired enroute.

It still has starting trouble during cold-starts but then its used sporadically. An electric fuel pump was aided to circumvent starting issues. Problems solved since then.

I recently visited their place and this is the current state of the CJ3

1970 CJ3 : Rock you like a Hurricane!-20130112-16.08.38.png

Its being used on the farm along with the trailer so net-net its back to where it truly belongs and is doing what it was meant to do.

Am happy I could do this and as per the original agreement, someday I'll get it to Ahmedabad and use it for a while. But right now, have my own Jeep to finish off so the Hurricane must wait.

Now and then if I get pics of the same I'll update this thread but this is pretty much it.
Just to remind you all where I started, this is the first pic I saw of the CJ3
1970 CJ3 : Rock you like a Hurricane!-img00003201009021728.jpg
Come a long way since then...
1970 CJ3 : Rock you like a Hurricane!-20130112-16.08.50.png

Last edited by AVR : 8th February 2013 at 18:00.
AVR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks