Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:05   #1
BHPian

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Hi,
I am not very good in writing or posting but i will try my level best. Before i start mentioning about my thar ,I would like to thank Dhabhar behram sir,DKG,Manas,spike and many more thar lovers. I have been admiring them silently and learning a lot.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1650.jpg

Thar was delivered on 4th of January ,2012. I faced some issues and i was not happy at all with the delivery experience as it was not on time as promised. Its been more than 2 months now and i am happy with the ownership experience. I have been slowly and steadily modifying my thar and trying to make it as practical as possible for me. While some mods are done keeping practicality in mind but some of them might not make much sense to everyone.

Accesories added.Mods done

Gear lock
Power windows
Central Locking
Inclinometer
Damping on front doors
Prad 4x4 bumper
Jeep Wrangler rear tail LED lights
Placement of number plate
Air conditioning

ICE setup
Rockford fosgate components
Rockford fosgate punch 4 channel amplifier
JBL infinity Subwoofer

I got power windows and central locking installed very first day i bought from dealer itself.It does go bad sometimes after offroading but so long its under warranty i can live with that.

Inclinometer i got it shipped from US . The only reason i can mention to buy this was that i was not happy with the dashboard at all and in the night it gets even worst therefore i wanted something.And i found this and thought it would look good.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1408.jpg

Prad bumper made a lot of difference in enhancing the looks making it more muscular. Thanks to jaskirat (Sarbloh motors) for installing it. Awesum work.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1895.jpg

I did not liked thar tail lights and i had been fan of wrangler lights for a long time. Therefore i ordered myself LED tail lights. They solved my purpose exactly the way i wanted it . They are super bright. There are 2 LED on the side profile of lights as well . And the best part is there is a white underneath Left tail light(just as i thought). It was perfect to light my number plate. So i moved the reflector,took the dimensions ,Got numberplate made and it worked perfectly .
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1956.jpg
Its very bright .
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1972.jpg

This is how the airconditioning fans are placed.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1917.jpg

Attaching some pics of damping and components install. Instead of getting custom boxes for speakers i got compos integrated into door pads by making a wooden holder. The bad part of damping is every time my power windows goes bad ,the guy has to work hard to play with the wires to get it back to work rather and its a very tight area to put hands in.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-dsc_1144.jpg
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-dsc_1145.jpg
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-dsc_1147.jpg
Damping has not made much of difference because of obvious reasons but it will make a difference in future when i will get an hardtop installed.

Mods planned in future
Rims- waiting for swastik viji sir to sell me his 160 PCD steel rims
Nice tires preferably A/T
Snorkel set up
Front facing seat (Endeavour 3rd row)
Front seats (Anything with good thigh and lumbar support)
CFL
Insect mesh grill to be installed behind the main grill
Decent Fog lamps
Center console or atleast an arm rest
Rear bumper with indicators
Rock sliders
Replacing the carpet with a mat or may be a yoga mat
Hardtop(waiting for Thar V2)
Better steering wheel

I tried to make it as straightforward and picture friendly as possible. I am not an expert of jeeps and learning a lot from Team-bhp . Therefore any criticism will be taken in a positive way and i will make sure i will learn from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1674.jpg  

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1950.jpg  

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1810.jpg  

Car-e-ok is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

@Car-e-ok, Congrats on the Thar.

Two suggestions:
1. Dont replace mats, instead add the mats
2. CFL - please check /discuss before implementation. For off-roading like what Khan Sultan does - he's broken a couple of CFL's, IIRC.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Phaaji,you got a thar-surprising- congrats
Are you around these days?
How about some nice alloys?
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Car-e-ok, Congrats on the Thar.

Two suggestions:
1. Dont replace mats, instead add the mats
2. CFL - please check /discuss before implementation. For off-roading like what Khan Sultan does - he's broken a couple of CFL's, IIRC.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did not get what you meant regarding mats as i have mats installed already over the carpet But still carpet gets very dirty every once in a while. Therefore i was planning to take the whole carpet out and substitute a rubber mat or yoga mat lining properly fixed to the floor of jeep and then using normal mats on top of them.

Regarding CFL its just the ride quality that is tempting me get CFL;s but i will bear the offroading quotient in mind as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Phaaji,you got a thar-surprising- congrats
Are you around these days?
How about some nice alloys?
Thanks Akshay. Yes , I am around these days but heading back day after tomorrow. I am waiting for the rims that swastik sir has ordered with 160 PCD . They are awaiting customs clearance . Hopefully they will get through. Its 160 PCD of thar that kills lots of varieties of alloys and leaves you with very little to choose.
Car-e-ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, your ride looks awesome in black. Add some alloys(probably brushed steels),even your black steel rims also look good. Do post some full-dashboard pics at night with lights on.
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Good job with the Thar. In my opinion, you are inching towards what many people would want the Thar to be off the shelf. Some little luxuries like power windows, A/C and the like that you have installed would make the Thar a much better buy for many.
Old 23rd March 2012, 22:54   #7
AWD
BHPian

Congrulations Car-e-ok, like your Thar. Tastefully done mods. I specially like the new bumper the novel inclinometer.

Damping on the doors is to take care of some rattles or vibrations from speakers? Guess they won't act as sound deadners because of the soft top.

The best part in your Jeep IMO is the raw/rugged look. If going for alloys, opt for the ones which enhance the rugged look.

Btw where are you based?
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi, your ride looks awesome in black. Add some alloys(probably brushed steels),even your black steel rims also look good. Do post some full-dashboard pics at night with lights on.
Although there is nothing much to be seen in the dashboard at night. But as per your request i am attaching another pic to give you an idea how it looks like.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img_1397.jpg

Last edited by Car-e-ok : 23rd March 2012 at 23:05.
Car-e-ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 11:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
Hi, Before i start mentioning about my thar ,I would like to thank Dhabhar behram sir,DKG,Manas,spike and many more thar lovers. I have been admiring them silently and learning a lot.
Dear Car-e-ok - thanks for your gracious comment. You have made my day and I am sure all Thar lovers share my opinion. Best of luck, enjoy your Thar and drive safe. If you want any help, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th March 2012, 10:10   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Inclinometer
Jeep Wrangler rear tail LED lights
Hi,
Nice looks.Please give me the vendor details and prices of inclinometer and LED lights.
Rajith

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 13:00. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 28th March 2012, 20:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Car-e-ok - thanks for your gracious comment. You have made my day and I am sure all Thar lovers share my opinion. Best of luck, enjoy your Thar and drive safe. If you want any help, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you for the acknowledgement sir . Whenit comes to you it means a lot. Ofcourse i would be bothering you now and then for your advisory . My future mechanical mods involve bigger discs and anything to do with rear suspension to make it comfortable for the passengers sitting at the back.
Regards,
Kunal Walia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,
Nice looks.Please give me the vendor details and prices of inclinometer and LED lights.
Rajith
Hi Rajith,

I got inclinometer from 20north and tail lights from amazon. There are various types of inclinometers but i suggest you the one with light . Other than that inclinometer starts from as low as 9 dollars. Amazon also has them. or try googlin rugged ridge or 4x4center.com.
Same deal with the LED taillights . I got them from amazon for 180 dollars and it costs a lot after shipping and tax etc. There are many types of lights availaible with or without LED's. Boxy type etc etc. Anybody coming from US would get you this stuff dirt cheap. Shipping turns out to be an expensive affair but well worth the penny.
Regards,
Kunal walia
Old 28th March 2012, 23:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Car-e-ok,
You have a good looking ride there. I like the tail lamp effect and it does enhance the rear looks of the Thar. Wish M&M have done it for all rather than giving the same old useless tail lamps.

Good mods there and Happy Motoring!
Old 29th March 2012, 11:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I like the tail lamp effect and it does enhance the rear looks of the Thar. Wish M&M have done it for all rather than giving the same old useless tail lamps.
Dear Getsurya - I also like the Wrangler tail lights. Of course they are the correct tail lights for the Thar. If I did not like them, something must be wrong with me. However, in a "production situation", who will take the trouble of importing it, then engineering it's fitment, which may call for corresponding imported connectors in the main wiring harness which the vendor here in India may not have the expertise to incorporate, which will call for a change in part number, which will start with the combined Ramayana + Mahabharata of "PPRF to FTR" (Prototype Part Request Form to Fitment Trial Report) for which the team has to run behind people trying to explain again and again what report they want, at the end of the whole rigmorale, you may have to take management flak for "not meeting timelines". Who wants to take the trouble? There is a good alternative. There happens to exist a "carry over" (same old useless) tail light of CL550MDI, which also has the CMVR certificate readily available (oh, so convenient!). Fortunately, the MM540 body sheet metal also has the corresponding holes to fit it, so "fit it and forget it". The fact that there is a passionate Getsurya out there somewhere, asking why Thar does not have Wrangler tail lamps, so what? If someone persists, there is a standard answer to this also. "If some customer wants, Customization can do it for him". Then in some executive forum, it goes - "you see Sir, these people, they are like that only, they don't understand. Even Marketing did not ask for it, it was not there in the PCF (Product Concept Form) but still these people, ----- you know, they are like that only, they waste everybody's time" Volumes just don't justify Sir, you know"!. Then someone goes "Hmmm, so sad!". Got it? Good! I cannot be more direct. May God help passionate customers like you!

And, by the way, there is a "Great Satan" called CMVR which says that 100% of tail light lens must be visible to a person standing 5 meters behind the car at 45 degrees angle to the edge of the tail light lens. The Thar spare tire cleared this CMVR with respect to the right tail light after many anxious moments by a whisker, otherwise another Ramayana + Mahabharata would have started. We even tried to fit the tail lights upside down with the reverse light's white lens on top but it still called for a change in part number as the LH light came to the RH side and vice versa and the "RH" and "LH" embossings on the lamp body had to be changed. The wiring harness called for a change because reverse lights would come on when you braked! This is the only reason why Thar spare wheel does not have even a Bolero like cover, otherwise it would not have met CMVR, how funny! Now you know why Wrangler tail lights are not in production on Thar. IT NEEDS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MINDSET TO DO WHAT CUSTOMERS REALLY WANT. I am sure you will understand.

Sting in the tail - By the way - HOW MANY PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IS WRANGLER TAIL LIGHT? HaHaHa. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 19:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IT NEEDS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MINDSET TO DO WHAT CUSTOMERS REALLY WANT. I am sure you will understand.
Dear Behram,

I do understand and thanks for your patient reply. Not withstanding the pre & post design & production issues, I sincerely believe that we can make innovations on what we already have, to provide a better product in the market. This applies to anything that is available for sale in this world

Just using your example of the tail lamps- probably we might be able to replace the bulbs with more brighter LED options? We might not have had the opportunity to replace the tail lamp design on the whole.

Human wants are endless- cost to quality matters!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 08:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Although there is nothing much to be seen in the dashboard at night. But as per your request i am attaching another pic to give you an idea how it looks like.
The inclinometer looks awesome. Just wondering if it's available in Bombay. Anyhow, did you order it online? if so, please do provide details.

Taking a cue from you, I think I am going to trash away those wheel-caps. I still have them on my Thar! Your Thar looks awesome with all the mods. Wrangler lights also enhance the rear look of the Thar. All in all, very impressive!

Most Viewed