Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone. I recently got invited to a small preview of Polaris ATVs and Side by Sides. Polaris entering into India has set-up dealerships across the country and in September last year West India Power Sports set-up their franchise in Ahmedabad. I've yet to visit their showroom, but their preview was held near Gandhinagar (The state's capital) at a fantastic off-roading trail inside Aalloa Hills Resort.

We got to ride the Polaris 'Touring' ATV model and the very special Polaris 'Razr'. The Razr was specially flown down for a preview to the top law-enforcement officials of Gujarat.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2386.jpg
The Ranger Series. Mostly used to transport people on undulated routes and farms.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2389.jpg
The entry segment TrailBoss 330. Two wheel drive | Automatic | EFI system and the cheapest ATV of the lot.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2390.jpg
TrailBoss engine set-up.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2391.jpg

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2392.jpg
Switchgear on the TrailBoss.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2393.jpg

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2394.jpg
The sharpest of the lot 'The Razr'. This edition is for the forces only. Notice the winch on the front.
With an 800cc petrol efi engine, the torque on this machine was phenomenal with an on-demand All Wheel Drive system that engages all four tires when the rear wheels slip and you need more forward traction. Reverts back to 2WD when you don’t.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2415.jpg

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2418.jpg
The driver's set-up. I was driving a left hand vehicle for the first time and took a while to get used to well... being on the left.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2419.jpg
Extended view.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2421.jpg
Switchgear. The most interesting of the lot was the blackout switch which enables all lights to be switched off during operations using night vision goggles. This is a fail safe so no one accidentally switches them on.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2401.jpg
Rear Suspension set-up on the Razr with heavy duty 'Sachs' shocks.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2416.jpg
With the easy to read large central speedo pod. This also housed the digital display showing gear mode, fuel, odo and trip meter.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2402.jpg
The twins.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2405.jpg
Up-close with the Sachs Shocks.

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2406.jpg
The Sportsman 500. Notice the plastic cladding to protect the front headlamp from debris.

And pictures of the off-roading. These are a mixed bag of images shot. I wanted to shoot more specific shots showing the capability of these Atvs but we ran out of time.

according to this link Polaris launches 2 powersports vehicles 'Sportsman90' and 'RangerRZR' are priced at Rs 3.2 lakh and Rs 5.5 lakh, respectively.

IMO its quite expensive for farm use.

why not a old cj500 modded for farm use.

rgds
Nihkil
Attached Thumbnails
Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2410.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2426.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2428.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2429.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2430.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2433.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2434.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2437.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2438.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2439.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2445.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2453.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2464.jpg  

Polaris in Ahmedabad-img_2488.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 4th May 2012 at 11:13. Reason: posts merged
jeepster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Polaris in Ahmedabad

In don't think this is getting registered in india.

Thanks for sharing though.
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:44   #3
AVR
BHPian

Lionel,

There was a similar event 7-8 months back where a few of us offroading bhpians had gone. It was a lot of fun and the low CoG really added to the thrills especially as we Jeep/gypsy owners would never be able to do that kind of stuff without toppling!

The diesel model is not remotely close to being fun once you drive the 800 cc petrol model. Just the fact that it costs more than a Thar is quite a downer.

On second thoughts, the way we test drove them might be a reason we didn't get invited again. Lol.

When was this?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 3rd May 2012, 23:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Are they street legal here?

I drove one for 2 hours in Siem Reap, Cambodia countryside ride. Was a petrol one, an awesome experience, great mud plugging!

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 3rd May 2012 at 23:10.
Old 3rd May 2012, 23:19   #5
BHPian

Sir Alec - You are right these can't be registered in India.

AVR - We did this on the 29th of April. Actually this was a special preview for the Gujarat Police and other Law enforcement agencies only. I know the owners of the franchise and had missed their last preview, so they called me over a day before the event. The one's we drove we all petrol models.

Ramky - Like I mentioned they are not street legal. But I guess the Law-enforcement agencies could use them with special permissions. Great mud pluggers they are.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

hi

lionell can you post the price of each model.

this link Polaris ATV - Price in India, Features, Specifications, Pictures | IndiaOnCars is quoting price range between Rs. 2.4 lakh to Rs. 20 lakh.

thinking to buy one for my farm.

rgds,
Nikhil

Edit:a similar thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/104335-polaris-4-x-4-india.html

Last edited by jeepster : 4th May 2012 at 09:55. Reason: added tbhp link
Old 4th May 2012, 15:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
hi

lionell can you post the price of each model.

this link Polaris ATV - Price in India, Features, Specifications, Pictures | IndiaOnCars is quoting price range between Rs. 2.4 lakh to Rs. 20 lakh.

thinking to buy one for my farm.

rgds,
Nikhil

Edit:a similar thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/104335-polaris-4-x-4-india.html
Hey Nikhil, I will PM you the price. Will have to get them from the franchise here.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check this site also (of Navnit Motors, Mumbai)
Polaris ATV Distributors in Mumbai | ATV Dealers in India | Navnit Polaris
Old 4th May 2012, 16:27   #9

Fantastic write up! Thanks! This is one heck of a vehicle - it goes anywhere.
Old 4th May 2012, 19:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The entry segment TrailBoss 330. Two wheel drive | Automatic | EFI system and the cheapest ATV of the lot.
Fantastic write up By the way the trailboss 330 runs a carburettor. the EFI range starts above 550 cc .
Old 4th May 2012, 21:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is the first appointed dealer in Delhi/NCR in India.

He says they are great. Hope they are made RHD and then may be it can be registered. At least in rajasthan as R (agricultural) or E (emergency) vehicle.
Old 14th May 2012, 23:29   #12
BHPian

Polaris RZR 800 ranger side by side .

I just bought one for my farm ,and would like to share my views .
It looks fantastic and impressive .
It has a 800 twin piston engine with efi .
I find the engine very noisy and lots of vibration for a jungle trail machine .
I bet you will never see any wildlife except the dead ones .
No horn as it is supposed to be jungle trail machine .
No spare wheel as you need to buy it as an assessory .
No genuine parking brakes just a compromise of locking the mesh in the gearbox to park the vehicle .
Now the problem is that when you stop on a slightest slope or incline ,and put it in the park mode and stop the engine you will tend to lock your gears due to pressure on the wheels When you restart there is a wheel pressure on the gears which tends to jam the gear selector .
This is an automatic gearbox with no clutch and will have to pull hard to take it out of mesh , and if you read the Polaris forum ,many have stripped their gearbox in doing so .
Company's advise ,please do not park on an incline , but if you are forced to do so leave in neutral and use a stone under the wheel .
Wow this is the 2012 ,model , that's what I call progress , or is it plain stingy .
I had to take advice from other forum owners and ordered a aftermarket handbrake from USA at 135 usd .
Also no rubber mats or protection bumpers or windscreens for flying stones .
Though you can buy as accessories all costing 20,000 each .
The gear lever is tight and crude .
I happened to check a yamaha similar machine , silky smooth Japanese technology compared to a crude American made rubbish .
One more thing , the rear carrier over therear engine gets so hot from the engine heat will definitely heat your cold drinks , but see the other side it will keep your lunch and tea coffee warm .

Note from Mod : Mention of Alcohol via. text/pictures is not allowed on forum. Please read the rules before proceeding. Repeat will invite an infraction. Thanks !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th May 2012 at 11:20.
Old 14th May 2012, 23:47   #13
BHPian

Dear Mclaren , if you read the manual for the Polaris they do not advice you to use over 15 degrees .
So I suppose you climb inclines over 15 degrees at your own risk .
Old 24th July 2012, 14:19   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Eicher Motors signs strategic joint venture with Polaris Industries

Quote:
The joint venture company will design, develop, manufacture and sell a full new range of personal vehicles suitable for India and other emerging markets. The manufacturing facility will be located in India and the joint venture partners are currently evaluating locations to set up the facility, with production expected to start in 2015.

Cheers!
Old 25th July 2012, 12:00   #15
BHPian

The subtext, of Polaris owning the Indian motorcycle brand, and Eicher with its Enfield brand is what makes this tie up interesting. Great move if they introduce Indian in India (sounds funny huh?), don't know about the numbers that will sell. But 2015 is really far away.

Triumph, H-D, and Indian, not discounting the Enfields of course is a wide enough choice for a miniscule market. But more the merrier, hopefully the entry of more marques will help in making the 'heavies' accessible to many more people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks