Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 00:57   #31
BHPian

Re: '71 Nissan Patrol Jonga for 6 lakhs. Should I bite?

Hello Mr. HPS Aulakh,

I was asked by a friend to review his Jeep post at BHP, when I got to read of your 6L Jonga post in details. The pics. of the Jonga that you posted makes one realise after 40 years about the rarity and originality of such a brutally abused ex-military workhorse sold at about 7 to 8K in the auctions during the early 70s.
Tatas and Perkins engines were the only preferred power plants using agriculture/transportation fuels, as any cyl. petrols were 'bad' for any use whatsoever.
The reason such heavy motors were put to use then, was that only a JONGA could take the load and still work. There are stories of Jongas doing duties all over our vast country.
The possibility of rebuilding an original Desi one for a decent budget from current army auctions is a reality thanks to Abhilash Nambiar,Prasad Rao and Rajiv Dham and many others.

The Gurus on this prestigious forum who have advised you about the "take it-leave it" situation for this beast are absolutely right with valid reasons.

What many have failed to attract your attention is to the age of the J. Your claim for the certain year of the vehicle could be as per the RC book, but be assured that this J is an original Japanese CKD unit assembled at Vehicles Factory Jabalpur (VFJ) near Indore.
Hint..... three ventilating windows of the glass frame found only in the original P60s.

I must add that our two '66 original JONGA with Nissan parenthood used in those affordable days were rested.
Must now review to admit that there seemed to be no end to the power thirst. Just that our pockets are not so deep then.
The best steering that a knuckled 4X4 vehicle could offer then was mine.

Later the Lockheed brake parts got difficult to procure, and many advised a switch over to Girling, but I was not a taking winner then.
Today looking at that phenominal asking rate, I want to save those beauties and die in peace that my decision was right.

Mr.Aulakh your visitors with academic interests would rate you topmost in India, and if brought home at any price; please take my 2 cents do keep it stock for the JONGA sake and allow us to learn more and more whenever given a chance.

With you always, yours................... UBS
U.B.Singh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 17:52   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
Hello Mr. HPS Aulakh,

I was asked by a friend to review his Jeep post at BHP, when I got to read of your 6L Jonga post in details. The pics. of the Jonga that you posted makes one realise after 40 years about the rarity and originality of such a brutally abused ex-military workhorse sold at about 7 to 8K in the auctions during the early 70s.

The Gurus on this prestigious forum who have advised you about the "take it-leave it" situation for this beast are absolutely right with valid reasons.

What many have failed to attract your attention is to the age of the J. Your claim for the certain year of the vehicle could be as per the RC book, but be assured that this J is an original Japanese CKD unit assembled at Vehicles Factory Jabalpur (VFJ) near Indore.
Hint..... three ventilating windows of the glass frame found only in the original P60s.

I must add that our two '66 original JONGA with Nissan parenthood used in those affordable days were rested.
Must now review to admit that there seemed to be no end to the power thirst. Just that our pockets are not so deep then.
The best steering that a knuckled 4X4 vehicle could offer then was mine.

Later the Lockheed brake parts got difficult to procure, and many advised a switch over to Girling, but I was not a taking winner then.
Today looking at that phenominal asking rate, I want to save those beauties and die in peace that my decision was right.

Mr.Aulakh your visitors with academic interests would rate you topmost in India, and if brought home at any price; please take my 2 cents do keep it stock for the JONGA sake and allow us to learn more and more whenever given a chance.

With you always, yours................... UBS
Hello Mr. U.B.S,
I am keen on picking up this Jonga just for same reason as mentioned by you that it being one of the early Jonga's to be assembled here.There are numerous J's for sale but none matches this as far as condition and rarity.It being the last of the P60's.I would definitely keep this J original because any modifications would amount to sacrilege.

regards
Old 12th June 2012, 10:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
6) Jongas are not worth this much
7) At Panagarh you could get one (wanting restoration) for almost 70-80k (Prasad correct me if im wrong please)
8) For all Jonga related matters refer to R32_GTR who has gone through the pains and glories of finding, buying, restoring and driving a Jonga with a similar engine.

Now since your heart it set on it and you are ready to pay the price, just wait. I would not exchange this with a CJ, as according to me, the CJ is more valuable. I almost certainly guarantee you he will not find another offer as rich as yours. Shall i say Congrats in Anticipation?
6) Come on Gogi!! Jonga's are worth more than CJ's today.. even with the rising fuel prices.. especially since there are only a few unmolested specimens left

7) Its nearly impossible to find an auction Jonga and/or one at a scrap dealer for under a lac today.. 70k - 80k was 2 years ago when i got mine..
I saw one for sale in (auction vehicle) at a scrap dealer in Mayapuri for 3.25 lacs last month..

8) Happy to help!!

Cheers..
Prasad Iyer
Old 12th June 2012, 15:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
6) Come on Gogi!! Jonga's are worth more than CJ's today.. even with the rising fuel prices.. especially since there are only a few unmolested specimens left
Boss your car is even rarer...a split screen RCL Jonga is drool worthy. What i meant was you would find it easier to sell a CJ anyday over a Jonga as there are very few enthusiasts left. Why even i want one but find the price prohibitive.

Quote:
7) Its nearly impossible to find an auction Jonga and/or one at a scrap dealer for under a lac today.. 70k - 80k was 2 years ago when i got mine..
I saw one for sale in (auction vehicle) at a scrap dealer in Mayapuri for 3.25 lacs last month..
...as i did see one MM550 retailing in Mayapuri for 2.5..unrestored...ridiculous. Yes im sure the price must have gone marginally up but owing to the Petrol price rise, they logically should have come down in demand, nevertheless, im a guy who will pay if i think its worth amd this one looks like a very delicious piece. As UBS has advices, if all check work out and most importantly Aulakh Saheb is willing then by all means he should go ahead and buy it!! One thing is for sure, on will very very rarely come across such a pristine vehicle. Now to see if its not only superficial.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks